Share your best idea for souvenir

Hello Forumosan!

Its still few months until I go back to my country and continue to travel to other countries.

I wonder what’s the best souvenir for family, friends, and colleagues alike, share your opinion please! Many thanks

1 Like

Get a tattoo to remember Taiwan:

6 Likes

Some delicious pork floss. Maybe some sweet bread. They’re famous.

1 Like

First time I went back home I took some gifts like these:

Another time, I prepared some cookie bags with unique Taiwanese cookies.

Both times people seemed to like the gifts.

5 Likes

Not really a souvenir, but I’d bring back a bottle of Gaouliang.

1 Like

my family likes gettingbrown sugar ginger tea. its very good in winter or if you have a cold.

3 Likes

Taiwanese whisky is popular these days.

4 Likes

All the good stuff. We bring back large suitcases full of food, snacks, soy sauce, noodles, pork floss, dehydrated mangoes, and seaweed! Yeah buddy. Then again, we bring it back for us, not them.

No one likes the little dolls. Just junk that looks oriental imo.

4 Likes

In my case, some of my friends and relatives expected that, in fact.

4 Likes

I brought this Taiwan drink I think this in Estonia/ Local ones taste better but they get kick out of the sweet beer, the other thing if in the office they will drink it right away.

This time next week, I will bring Taiwan flags (which is not as easy to find as flags in Europe or Japan or USA). We have a big Union jack flay as a gift, full size on the wall so now visitors bring us flags and ask for a Taiwan flag. I also have Japanese flags, but in certain Asian countries is not a good gift, esp. the naval version (which is oddly cool amount some Taiwan youth, but then there some in Taiwan that also hate Japan)

2 Likes

What do they do, PLAY with them? I find it to be the equivalent to buying a “Japanese Samurai sword” when leaving Japan. You just have to!

Put them on a shelf as ornament and let it collect dust.

Exactly. Garbage, akin to hanging large butterflies on the outside of houses.

Water absorbing coasters with Taiwan related images

Definitely bring the chipao towels, as a matter of fact, good quality Taiwan towels are always a hit

The tea bags that turn into fish or flowers shapes when in hot water

Cell batteries with cute shapes

Reusable shopping bags, clothes or plastic ones, with nice designs

Thermos or water bottles, very coveted by the gym/hiking crowds

6 Likes

Yingge has a couple of big halls and other shops loaded with art and knick-knacks, if you make it out there.

2 Likes

Where exactly?

I think it would be pretty impossible not to find some souvenirs in this cavern

https://goo.gl/maps/8fowjLtcVR87m4yi6

2 Likes

Oh, that’s the Yingge Old Street!
Yeah, you will find some souvenirs there for sure.

2 Likes

This made me think of the iconic plastic reusable shopping bag that seems to have become something of a thing here (they even have them in tiny coin purse sizes). Much more useful and not weird like the blue slipper key chains :joy:.

Ximending and Dongmen are filled with shops selling touristy Taiwan things. The Ximen Carrefour is (was?) laid out specifically for Japanese and Korean tourists to be able to easily grab the things they “needed” to bring home with them.

Surprised no one mentioned pineapple cakes? My mom is always in awe of the thought they put into packaging for baked goods that are to be brought as gifts.

Sometimes I just go to 7-11 and grab a load of random snacks that I know aren’t available (or are very expensive) abroad. Calpus flavored Pringles, anyone?

5 Likes

That was one of the items in our cookies bags.

1 Like