Share your Covid Experience Here

A shot is a good idea if it covers the new variants.

I need to dig into the threads to figure out how things change and become available on November 1st. Next week is exam week, so thatā€™s a reasonably good time to suffer a day or two of post-vaccine wipeout.

1 Like

I forget exactly but something like 1.5 weeks I think. The nausea is the main thing that lingered. And just general tiredness and unwell feeling.

1 Like

Well, itā€™s my first time, so be gentle.

Well, they did have free tests at the airport, for you to do at home. Being the good citizen I am, I followed the instructions on testing yourself upon arrival.

I have lost track of how many times in the past I have checked the test strip against the light -mostly on Monday mornings- to try to detect if a slight thin second line was visible. Shouldnā€™t have bothered. When it shows, it does show. No doubt about it. I saw the two lines just as I was about to start unpacking, laundry, etc. There go my plans to rest before going back to workā€¦

Swear to Buddha, I only had a slight cough. Should have known something was up when I slept through the Pacific jump.

To make the long story short, now I am on 6 miscellaneous pills for I guess assorted symptoms and Paxlovid. No fever, no coughing, no muscle painā€¦ so far.

The worst part has been figuring out the paperwork. Truthfully, they send you the links, just wait for them. Then fill out carefully all the forms, download the results and Bobā€™s your uncle.

5 Likes

If you only had a slight cough you probably didnā€™t need to do a thing or take any pills. Of course itā€™s a personal thing but I generally reserve the pills for a serious situation

1 Like

I remember you were quite worried about it before and extremely cautious.

Seems like youā€™re doing okay though (Iā€™m also not sure why youā€™re taking 6 different drugs in addition to Paxlovid if your symptoms are so mild, but I guess they wonā€™t do much harm if youā€™ve already got them).

Good luck and get well soon. At least in a week or two youā€™ll be fine and wonā€™t need to worry about catching it so much anymore. :slightly_smiling_face:

Waitā€¦arenā€™t they just dispensing that to senior citizens? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

One would think that, but while I felt a slight cough, the congestion I could not see but the doctor could hear was another story. And I was not to remain symptom free forever. The pills are keeping fever and cough in place.

Another thing I had not considered is that this is a new exotic variant they do not have here. Most folk have no defense against it. If I had gone back to work, rode the MRT or ate at a restaurant, it could run as rampant as it does abroadā€¦but without any limitations from peopleā€™s defenses.

The cousin I suspect gave me this is already on his third timeā€¦this year. Thatā€™s no way to do it, IMHO. This is the guy whose wife died from COVID.

I qualify for Plaxlovid because I am fat and old and immune deficient and hypertensive. Tastes like hell but Iā€™ll take it.

2 Likes

Yes, they are.

1 Like

Well, one can be cautious but we are a global tribe. All it took me was to step out of our safe Taiwan cocoon where people wear masks and isolate if sick.

Again, here in Taiwan you should not have to wait until you cannot breath to get to the hospital. We got universal coverage here. I get a direct LINE to the doctor and pharmacist who check on me.

Natural immunity to this specific variant fades in a few months. Seeing that members of my family get COVID several times does not make me much confident. Heck, before the plague, getting a cold once a year was reasonable. Three or four a year? Not really.

Get well, Icon. I had my first single line in a week today. Hang in there, it gets better.

2 Likes

Take care @Icon ! It sounds like you got a mild caseā€”good. Get plenty of rest and we look forward to you bouncing back soon.

Guy

2 Likes

It sucks that Covid season is year round and variants could be just around the corner that are so different that they could put even healthy people in the meat locker.

2 Likes

Jet lag and COVID are not a nice combo. But I will survive.

Does anyone have any tips regarding metallic taste due to Paxlovid? Itā€™s yucky.

1 Like

Just for comparison, lemme tell you about my momā€™s experience. I was really worried sheā€™d gotten it to, so at my request, she went to the local public clinic and got tested. Lo and behold, they lost the results. In the meantime, right after the test, she and the cousin that drove her had breakfast at the nearby mall. Then in the afternoon she had a hair cut at the neighborhood hair salon.

Next day she went to her cardiologist. Alas, there was a new guy, since her usual doctor is down with, guess what, COVID. And has been for at least 3 weeks. And she cannot ask the doctor anyway to check for the results, even if it is the same clinic, since they do not have a unified electronic system. Not did she bother to mention the fact she could still be contagiousā€¦ Cherry on top is she goes to the special geriatrics section of the clinic, surrounded by plenty of octogenarians and up.

Iā€™m still on her back and told her to please get tested before she goes to the coast to visit my uncle. Not that it will be much helpful as she is probably already negative, hopefully, since it has not gotten worseā€¦so far. But she insists on taking public transportation and my uncleā€™s health is debatable, so hopefully sheā€™ll listen but I wonā€™t hold my breath.

She wonā€™t tell me if sheā€™s coughing or feels bad as ā€œthe blood of Christ covers her, sheā€™s free from diseaseā€.

Finally, I get the discourse from my brother that COVID is the invention of the New World Order powers that be to manipulate the masses and what is making people sick is the placebo medicine/vaccines, so stop botheringā€¦

:wall: :rant: :sob:

2 Likes

From what youā€™ve written, it sounds like your mom didnā€™t have COVID, but she had a slightly annoying experience (the clinic losing her results) because you wanted her to get tested despite her not being bothered, and other than that she was just happily living her normal life? Whereā€™s the problem?

It seems like more of an experience of several family members annoying each other because of conflicting feelings about COVID than it is a COVID experience?

1 Like

Tested poisitive 3 days ago.
Did a video call to a doctor.
In quarantine now.
2 vaccinations quite a while ago.

Symptoms have been hellish.
Day 1:
High fever, uncontrollable shivering, massive headache, body ache. Sore throat.
Day 2:
Low fever. No more shivering. Headache persists. Mild chest cough. Sore throat.
Day 3:
High fever and shivering are back. Extreme headache and body ache. Severe chest cough that causes my abdominal muscles to be sore. Coughed up blood. Prickly like feeling of a sore throat.

Entire family is now infected and in quarantine with me. All at the same time.

8 Likes

I thought you said your brother was a doctor. A doctor who said vaccine immunity is longer lasting than natural immunity. Or was that a different family member?

Crikey.

Are you getting any sort of medical attention here? Does ā€œin quarantineā€ mean locked up in a government facility?

Talking about this. My mother in law had covid last week. My wifeā€™s sisters made her stay in a room for 10 odd days. When we FaceTimed her, she was wearing a mask too. She was probably on day three or four by time she tested and was already on the mend. We told her she can go out after five days if she is negative. Nobody is checking, but that is official. She just said that the other sisters told her to wait so she stayed in her room masked up for a few more days. People have lost their mind

6 Likes