Share your Taiwan Salary Anonymously

Be nice!

If you’re softer with people here, they will appreciate it.

Guy

my field has a technical term for this:

2 Likes

The golden rule I learned the hard way after a few years in Taiwan. The problem was that in local SMEs your earnings somehow got leaked anyway .

Working in Taiwan businesses was hard enough but then when they found out you made more than them…Wow…Wee.

They weren’t there when the boss slyly didn’t give you the bonus at CNY in an effort to claw back your ‘inflated earnings’ or when the boss deducted a big part of your daily earnings because you were over 5 mins late clocking in.

Fortunately I work for an Intl org almost everything goes through a 3rd party accounting firm . Thank God.

1 Like

Since i make less than most taiwanese in my compnay, Whenever someone asked about my salary and i tell them, its like their whole reality has been destroyed. "A foreigner earning less than us? how come? "I love that look on their faces

4 Likes

I’d be nicer if they didn’t spend a lot of energy trying to convince me that Taiwanese people understand English grammar better than English speakers and therefore they are better at English than I give them credit for…after they spent 4 years getting a masters degree in a course that was entirely in English and still won’t carry on said conversation in English.

2 Likes

Omg that’s so true. I’ve got bushibans asking me if I know any grammar because I am fluent in English = = wtf
But it’s not like there are no non native speakers trying argue about Mandarin pronunciation with me. People are people. It’s just that you don’t have as much chance to talk about a different language with native English speakers.

I wonder if anyone has talked about their salary with their colleagues in their own country. Is it really like that YouTube clip, or is it the same as here?

Wow, just took a look at the spreadsheet.

Aaand now I feel like a massive failure.

1 Like

No man! It’s just a snapshot of what is out there, what is possible.

It’s better to know than not to know. :upside_down_face:

Guy

7 Likes

Most people working for private companies in the U.S., above lower level hourly pay, do not discuss pay. Pretty much everyone in gov’t knows how much everyone else makes, as it’s all on a schedule / step system (or publicly available anyway).

When I was consulting, everyone knew how much everyone else made. I share with friends, but that’s not typical.

I agree with the video… sharing is the way to go for employees.

1 Like

That’s the ideal result. I wonder if human nature is that… optimistic.

I don’t know how much I actually make because my Taiwanese wife years ago graciously volunteered to handle the family finances. As long as my credit card and other occasional flamboyant purchases all get paid I don’t much care.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue where everyone knows everyone elses’ salary. It seems to only be an issue when most people don’t share, and a couple high earners share. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Of course this type only exists to be petty, and are overly eager to judge others in order to self-affirm something to themselves. And pettiness in TW, I’d say, can be a way of life.

If you make more, they want to make a point it’s unfair and you don’t deserve it. Make less and they feel superior.

If someone knew my salary was higher and wanted to bring it up, I’d act very content while humbly not elaborating. And if the option is there and someone is probing, I’ll tell them I make 5X or whatever more than the actual number. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I tell them to ask my Taiwanese wife if they want the real number. That seems to shut them up.

2 Likes

If you look at some of the entries, the data isn’t that trustworthy. Otherwise, I’d totally take it and run a regression.

I make $100,000 USD year but I don’t live in Taiwan so I didn’t enter my information.

Its better to look poor than pay their tab.

2 Likes

After 300 salaries shared, a big chunk seems to be between 40k to 80k.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.54.41 AM

I think it could be interesting to break it down by industry and job type. Will see if I have some time for some breakdown this weekend

10 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: UX jobs in Taiwan?

This is so wrong. It should be annualised. Most people make a lot more annually because many places pay a lot more than 12 installments of monthly salary.

Someone on Dcard conducted a similar survey and it’s a lot more accurate (though this is only limited to jobs in tech).

3 Likes

So maybe it’s not as useful then.
How much does a binman make these days?

You have to sell your soul to some of these tech companies in Taiwan.
Pay per hours worked and shifts and vacation days… that would be the most interesting.