Shoe repair

Does any one know where I could find a shoemaker / cobber in Taipei to replace the heels of some men dress shoes? I heard that there is one in the basement at 101 but am not sure about this. Thanks.

Xiamen St. just south of Heping W. Road. There are several old-fashioned shoe shops that do shoe repair. Actually, I think you can find someone to do xiuzie in most neighborhoods. Just look for (or have someone help you look for) the signs in Chinese.

There is one in the basement of Taipei 101 that also makes keys.

They have a wall of shoe sole, including heels. If you want a classy job it’s a good choice, but it must cost more there because of the quality of materials.

[quote=“twocs”]There is one in the basement of Taipei 101 that also makes keys.

They have a wall of shoe sole, including heels. If you want a classy job it’s a good choice, but it must cost more there because of the quality of materials.[/quote]

Do you know if this is still there? Cheers.

I needed to have my flat shoe mended. I’ve tried looking around, but couldn’t find one. Any traditional cobbler would be ok, too. Thanks a lot…

For mending and other basic tasks, there’s a tiny cobbler on Heping E. Road between Dunhua and Fuxing on the north side - he’s really easy to miss, a bit to the west of the Land Bank.

There’s also one near Guting a bit north of TLI in a sidestreet on/near Nanchang Road (south of Heping).

Otherwise, try Xiamen Street for someone who can actually make shoes or do complex repairs. There’s a probably expensive, “hand-made shoes” store in the lanes between Zhongxiao Fuxing and Dunhua.

There’s one in Donghu, Taibei too, in the lane behind Donghu Elementary and 100 meters further east of the school, on the right side heading east, after all the little restaurants, and 2 doors before a bedding & linens store:

Open 11-21 M-Sat; 0988-126-104.
Kangle Ave, Lane 72, Alley 8, #2.

I need a cobbler to fix this:

I superglued the entire thing back on last winter in NY, but clearly it didn’t take. Looking for something a bit more permanent.

Any chance of someone updating this thread a bit if possible? :sunglasses:

Superglue’s too brittle, jd. A good quality contact adhesive would do the job. :2cents:

What’s a contact adhesive? Sounds like glue.

What’s a contact adhesive? Sounds like glue.[/quote]
Yes. Glue. Put it on both sides then and leave them open until it dries completely. Then clamp the two sides firmly together for a few minutes. You must make sure that both sides have been sanded and are immaculately clean.

It’s rubbery stuff, hence flexible. Superglue becomes brittle like glass, and just cracks.

Yeah, the right glue (contact cement) is important for a job like this. You don’t want the simple rubber cement you might have used in school. Instead, get the industrial stuff – ask for 強力膠 qiang2li4jiao1 at any hardware store (usually something in a short can that says brand name + “bond”; about $70NT)

Then follow jimi’s instructions. Imacculately clean and dry is a must. This glue has nasty fumes, so open the windows and use a fan. I’d spread newspaper out on your table, and use something like tongue depressors to apply it (thinly and evenly). When it dries it will be very tacky and stick to itself permanently, so you don’t want to accidentally let the wrong parts touch. Also, the harder you clamp it, the better, but just pressing it together hard will usually hold well. It’s as good as going to a cobbler.

:roflmao: :bravo:

Glue the under side of the boot and the sole then clamp them for 24 hours. Once it has cured, seal the sides of the soles and the top of the rand. I’ve tried a few different products for this type of repair and the only thing that produces a satisfactory result is Seam Grip.
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21111277650384

Hey,

Can anyone recommend one in central Taipei City?

Pretty simple but good boots so don’t want anything sloppy. I just need the thin rubber half-soles replaced.

That kinda idea.

Cheers,
R

Try the basement at the old Sogo in Zhongshiao Fuxing. There is a supermarket -not City Super-, and it is to one side.

Thanks! Would you mind pinning it on the map please? Not familiar with the area and my Google is showing several matches.

Cheers

Thanks! Would you mind pinning it on the map please? Not familiar with the area and my Google is showing several matches.

Cheers[/quote]

Most distressed but my Google-fu fails at maps. Apologies. :frowning:

At the intersection, there are two SOGO stores. The old one. Dunno how to say it. Help?
sogo.com.tw/www/lang/en/index04.aspx

try this one
google.com.tw/maps/place/Pa … 21.5449299

The cobbler is on B2 and right in front of the restrooms. You have to walk about 15 paces past the Peninsula Hotel chocolate company and the cafe. It’s really in the deep corner out of anyone’s eye-line so it can be missed.

Philippines and China are the nearest places I’ve had mine done. If there are many in Taiwan, I’ve not recognized them. There is one place near Yongkang station on Songshan Road that I think did shoe repair, but I’m not sure. It may have been for making custom shoes. It was north of the station going towards the temple on the right side of the road if you want to try it.
There was a place in the basement of the 101 mall when it first opened, but I haven’t been there since Page One was no longer relevant to me.

Let us know if you find a place that fixes sneakers. I’ve got a pair of good hiking shoes the sole is starting to come off of.

Edit: Philippines and China. The Philippines are not China. None of it.