Should America Invade Canada?

Too bad. We NEVER get tired of folk like you. Come on, boy, another bon mot to make the time pass pleasurably. :laughing:

[quote=ā€œgao_bo_hanā€]We won every single major military engagement in our decade-long struggle with North Vietnam, but eventually the American people got sick of the casualties and wanted us out. We toppled the Baathist regime in Iraq pretty damned quickly, didnā€™t we? I think we ā€œwonā€ in that regard. Think the current crop of Canadian quasi-pacifists will strap suicide bomb to their chests and rush American firebases? Mine all the roads in the country? Think Canadians can match the NVA/Viet Cong and Iraqi insurgents in their willingness to fight to the death to defend their country?
[/quote]

I have American cousins who talk like this. One bragged this summer that he just got his son his first hunting license and rifleā€¦the boy is only 12 years oldā€¦ :unamused:

Too bad. We NEVER get tired of folk like you. Come on, boy, another bon mot to make the time pass pleasurably. :laughing:[/quote]

I just hope that I can fill your heart with peace. Canā€™t we give peace a chance?

Too bad. We NEVER get tired of folk like you. Come on, boy, another bon mot to make the time pass pleasurably. :laughing:[/quote]

I just hope that I can fill your heart with peace. Canā€™t we give peace a chance?[/quote]

Oh well, never mind. You were on a roll there. Quit while you still have a chance of being remembered as a funny man.

[quote=ā€œcitizen kā€][quote=ā€œgao_bo_hanā€]We won every single major military engagement in our decade-long struggle with North Vietnam, but eventually the American people got sick of the casualties and wanted us out. We toppled the Baathist regime in Iraq pretty damned quickly, didnā€™t we? I think we ā€œwonā€ in that regard. Think the current crop of Canadian quasi-pacifists will strap suicide bomb to their chests and rush American firebases? Mine all the roads in the country? Think Canadians can match the NVA/Viet Cong and Iraqi insurgents in their willingness to fight to the death to defend their country?
[/quote]

I have American cousins who talk like this. One bragged this summer that he just got his son his first hunting license and rifleā€¦the boy is only 12 years oldā€¦ :unamused:[/quote]

12 seems to me to be a perfectly acceptable age to start teaching your son how to hunt. As long as he is being taught about safety and is supervised, where is the problem in this? I would much rather have him spending time in the woods with a loving father than out on the street corner with the riff raff.

[quote=ā€œcitizen kā€][quote=ā€œgao_bo_hanā€]We won every single major military engagement in our decade-long struggle with North Vietnam, but eventually the American people got sick of the casualties and wanted us out. We toppled the Baathist regime in Iraq pretty damned quickly, didnā€™t we? I think we ā€œwonā€ in that regard. Think the current crop of Canadian quasi-pacifists will strap suicide bomb to their chests and rush American firebases? Mine all the roads in the country? Think Canadians can match the NVA/Viet Cong and Iraqi insurgents in their willingness to fight to the death to defend their country?
[/quote]

I have American cousins who talk like this. One bragged this summer that he just got his son his first hunting license and rifleā€¦the boy is only 12 years oldā€¦ :unamused:[/quote]

Donā€™t try. The most avid hunters I know are Canadians.

And I mean really, really into it. Jesus Christ.

[quote=ā€œgao_bo_hanā€][quote=ā€œcitizen kā€][quote=ā€œgao_bo_hanā€]We won every single major military engagement in our decade-long struggle with North Vietnam, but eventually the American people got sick of the casualties and wanted us out. We toppled the Baathist regime in Iraq pretty damned quickly, didnā€™t we? I think we ā€œwonā€ in that regard. Think the current crop of Canadian quasi-pacifists will strap suicide bomb to their chests and rush American firebases? Mine all the roads in the country? Think Canadians can match the NVA/Viet Cong and Iraqi insurgents in their willingness to fight to the death to defend their country?
[/quote]

Donā€™t try. The most avid hunters I know are Canadians.[/quote]

I had my first rifle, shotgun and hunting license at age 12 and I had to go through weeks of classes and extensive testing to get it. So role your eyes but I can guarantee that the 12 year old is safer with a gun than some amateur who buys a gun after they are 18 and think they know what they are doing.

Is it really possible to buy a gun there at 18 without knowing what youā€™re doing? That sounds like a whole other kettle of fish. :ponder:

Like most things in the U.S. it depends what state youā€™re in. At 12 I was only allowed a BB gun and my parents (and neighbors) regretted that purchase for a long time.

Disappointed they couldnā€™t get you a real gun? :wink:

Is it really possible to buy a gun there at 18 without knowing what youā€™re doing? That sounds like a whole other kettle of fish. :ponder:[/quote]

Yeah you can buy a gun once you turn 18 and not know how to handle it. You can buy a gun at a gun show without any criminal background check in Wisconsin. Gun shows are like free markets its like the ebay of guns. Now if you buy guns from a store you have to wait 3 days for them to run a criminal background check. This of course can be avoided if you grease the gun store owners palms; kind of like Taiwan :wink: . The 3 day background check is a US Federal law which means it applies to all states. It is a whole other kettle of fish but couldnā€™t help responding.

Is it really possible to buy a gun there at 18 without knowing what youā€™re doing? That sounds like a whole other kettle of fish. :ponder:[/quote]

Yeah you can buy a gun once you turn 18 and not know how to handle it. You can buy a gun at a gun show without any criminal background check in Wisconsin. Gun shows are like free markets its like the ebay of guns. Now if you buy guns from a store you have to wait 3 days for them to run a criminal background check. This of course can be avoided if you grease the gun store owners palms; kind of like Taiwan :wink: . The 3 day background check is a US Federal law which means it applies to all states. It is a whole other kettle of fish but couldnā€™t help responding.[/quote]

Well, then I guess you are right. It is better to put the gun in the hand of a 12 year old thatā€™s taken a class than in the hand of an 18 year old amateur. Although, both make me a little nervousā€¦

Yeah you can buy a gun once you turn 18 and not know how to handle it. You can buy a gun at a gun show without any criminal background check in Wisconsin. Gun shows are like free markets its like the ebay of guns. Now if you buy guns from a store you have to wait 3 days for them to run a criminal background check. This of course can be avoided if you grease the gun store owners palms; kind of like Taiwan :wink: . The 3 day background check is a US Federal law which means it applies to all states. It is a whole other kettle of fish but couldnā€™t help responding.[/quote]

Well, then I guess you are right. It is better to put the gun in the hand of a 12 year old thatā€™s taken a class than in the hand of an 18 year old amateur. Although, both make me a little nervousā€¦[/quote]

What makes me nervous is a bunch of drunk guys during deer hunting season weilding shotguns and rifles. Yikesā€¦ and believe me there is a lot of drinking going on during deer hunting season here. Correction on the Federal law all states have to run background checks some do instant and some have waiting periods. It is three days in Wisconsin which is practically in Canada anyway. We sound like we are from Canada aaayye.

Actually, you sound like Fonzie from Happy Days, eh? :wink:

Actually, you sound like Fonzie from Happy Days, eh? :wink:[/quote]

Nice!!! I live in Milwaukee too. (Snap my fingers) I wonder if I will lose my cool when I am living in Taiwan. :laughing:

i would love to go to canada. my dad said it was great during vietnam.^^

Actually, you sound like Fonzie from Happy Days, eh? :wink:[/quote]
Funny you say that, because no one in Wisconsin sounds like Fonzie. Milwaukee is in the American midwest, and people in Wisconsin exhibit some of the worst aspects of the ā€œnorthern cities vowel shiftā€*, but Fonzie talked as if he were from New Jersey. In other words, Hollywood, as per usual, got the accents completely wrong (along with the hair for many of the actorsā€“the clothes were passably accurate on that particular show).

Remember Hill Street Blues? One of the cops was played by an actor named Dennis Franz, who was born and raised in suburban Chicago. But Hill Street Blues took place in New York. So you had the New Yorkers talking, and then all of a sudden Dennis Franz would open his mouth and talk pure Chicago. It was farcical. But hey, itā€™s Hollywood.

*NCVS: In Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee ā€œhotā€ sounds like hat, and ā€œhatā€ sounds like haayt. Kurt Vonnegut called the midwestern accent akin to cutting aluminum on a bandsaw, which pretty much nails it. For people who donā€™t get the explanation, just think of Bill Murray.

NYPD Blue; Andy Sipowicz, that was the name of the character played by Franzā€¦But honestly, nothing was more obvious than Kevin Costner playing Robin Hood with his California drawl or Keanu Reeves in Much Ado About Nothing. Btw, bit of trivia: Keanu was born in Beirut, Lebannon. He also played ice hockey in high school andwas nicknamed ā€œThe Wallā€.

More trivia: While HSB was set in NYC, the name, ā€œHill Streetā€ was a reference to Pittsburghā€™s Hill District. The producers of HSB were CMU grads.