Should Taiwan buy BioNTech/Pfizer COVID vaccines from Fosun?

It looks like private companies and local governments are now able to do their own bidding.

And take all the credit for saving Taiwan, even though contributing minimally and under a lot of conditions.

It’s strictly business, not personal.

1 Like

When they label us as pricks after engaging in hostage diplomacy, I can’t imagine they would be rushing to step up to the plate to save us when China starts their invasion.

It takes two to tango.

1 Like

We dont know the specifics of the deal.

Terry Gou and DPP lawmaker Ker Chien-ming were trying to get the batches sent directly from Germany from FOSUNs allowance. I dont see any problem with that

1 Like

Biontech are also probably not happy about FOSUN not distributing to Taiwan. They still have control over their distributors and are probably the ones forcing FOSUN to sell to Taiwan.

I think people need to be more rational and less emotional.

But why would Fosun agree to that? Unless BnT compensated them to step aside. BnT was really stupid for including distribution rights for “Greater China” in its deal with Fosun. You’d think somebody inside the company would have known that TW would never allow a Chinese company to sell it vaccine.

Anyway, I think this focus on BnT is an all too convenient distraction designed to help reduce the blame of the people in TW who screwed the pooch.

TW ordered less aggressively and later than other countries and the past comments from TW authorities makes it obvious there was no urgency. People in TW foolishly thought TW would keep the virus out forever.

1 Like

Their allowance should not be contigent on sovereignty claims.

I have no idea what you are saying.

FOSUN have an order in waiting in Germany for vaccines for the China market. What Terry was suggesting was that a portion of that doesnt go to China, but flies directly to Taiwan instead. With the money going to FOSUN

Right, but since they have an ‘agreement’

Such allowance to break the contract should not incur any claims about Taiwan’s sovereignty and Biontech should be wary to strike any deal with Fosun that makes Taiwan look like it’s part of China.

But Biontech as the manufacturer still has power over distributors.

But anyway, we dont know the full details, there are lots of possibilities for mitigating risk on the Taiwan side and still receiving vaccines

I thought China has Sinopharm. Why do they need western vaccines?

Oh wait. China dumped their garbage vaccines in other countries.

1 Like

Because they know their vaccines are shit. Just look at what’s happening in Seychelles.

1 Like

Can’t disagree. I’m surprised nobody’s raised this question.

2 Likes

I think, as Terry directly knows the boss of FOSUN, they are trying to discuss a workaround. FOSUN as distributors are not supposed to just not supply to Taiwan and will get pressure from Biontech to do so. FOSUN say they are willing to sell, so really it makes no difference from their side.

But anyway we dont know the details. There are lots of possibilities.

China has a lot of vaccines tbh. They have more in development. The early ones are not good.

TBH its a better strategy if you have money to rely on a mix of overseas and domestic vaccines. Taiwan was stupid for putting all their eggs in the same basket.

I’m trying to criticise them. Why are you trying to defend China?

1 Like

Quantity not quality. The Chinese way.

3 Likes

Im finding you confusing.

You asked why are China purchasing overseas vaccines if they have their own. The answer is that they have resources and its better to hedge your bets. UK has AZ but still buys Moderna

It’s a rhetorical question…

I’m implying what @Baobab said.

It’s cause their vaccines is shit.

1 Like