Should Taiwan drug test foreign English teachers regularly?

Because weed can stay in your urine for like 30 days.

You’re not getting high in Taiwan but there will still be traces of it.

If you’re tested 18 days after coming back, you are not under the influence of weed at all, you didn’t smoke it in the country but your test will come back positive.

Right, but I just said if you’re in the middle of a contract with that employer, then that contract isn’t temporarily void once you go vacation. They still have the expectation that their star teacher isn’t getting high on his week home visiting his or her family. Not saying that’s right, but I can understand their rationale.

Besides, it only stays in your system for 30 days if you’re a habitual smoker. If you go home and smoke once after not smoking for years, it’ll leave your system less than a week later.

We’ve been down this road before. Do you have to follow every law of every country while in-country? How about alcohol in Muslim countries? How about anal sex where it’s still illegal? Marijuana is still illegal in Kiwiland but 78.6% of the population is stoned 63% of the time. I find it hard to make a call on this stuff.

However in this particular case what wasn’t cool is that the guy was smoking in public as some sort of act of defiance of Taiwan’s laws. That’s pretty dickheadish.

Interesting, did not know THC metabolite could persist for so long for heavy smokers.

There’s a lot of debate worldwide about how to judge 'under the influence '.
Most places are using breath and saliva first and then a blood test to confirm becauSe the first pass tests are often inaccurate . Remember they have to confirm the quantity, below a certain amount is not a conviction.
Different metabolites persist longer or shorter durations so law enforcement SHOULD focus on those that indicate usage within 12 or 24 hours.

Different strokes for different folks. If I were in a Muslim country I’d abstain from alcohol (more out of a sense of my own self-preservation than because I respect the law, of course).

(Also, with the anal sex being illegal in certain countries… that’s more a cover for those countries being anti-gay. I don’t think it’s fair to compare people breaking the law by partaking in banned substances, to those who break it because they’re victims of minority oppression.)

And yes, he’s a dickhead.

1 Like

Just as an aside, it’s also possible to test for alcohol ‘abuse’ days or weeks after drinking , wonder if Muslim countries do this?

On the plus side, regular drug testing would result in an increase in hourly rates.

3 Likes

You could create a new organisation ‘the association of upright , vertical standing and sober teachers’

2 Likes

Or: Association of Righteous Sober Exemplary Honorable Obedient Law-abiding Expat Schoolteachers

2 Likes

Benevolent Order Respecting Intrinsic Nationalism Gainfully Foregoing Unhealthy Canonical Kinetic Hegemony Effecting Asymmetry Delineating Systemization?

4 Likes

I think you missed the word “Glorious” in there somewhere.

Guy

2 Likes

What a dumb dumb

I’m not nearly as critical of potheads as I was before because I’ve seen people control their stress levels without taking stronger prescription medication. I also think it could replace some of the prescription opioids in the US for chronic pain. With that said, what an idiot to smoke pot at the 101 tower area…And risk everything thing for it. I’m not a pot user but I do drink alcohol which is bad or probably worse - just not illegal.

1 Like

I think people get too comfortable here after all the years and think nothing will happen or what are the chances of the cops doing anything except warning me because I am a special foreigner.

Or he just didn’t give a damn. Who know’s.

I wonder what his sentence will be, if he does get one.

1 Like

I hope he’s just deported. I don’t wish to see him suffer any real punishment, but on the same token I don’t want him here helping to perpetuate crappy stereotypes about the rest of us expats.

2 Likes

It’s a joint, he shouldn’t be deported.

3 Likes

Maybe not, but his employment prospects will be pretty dim after this run-in with the law. It’ll probably be a mark on his record, or at the very least an immediate deal-breaking Google search for any potential employer here.

I’m not one to condone breaking the law (well, most laws). But English teachers need something to take the edge off. It’s a jungle in there.

That’s why God gave us heroin…

1 Like

The students are supposed to nod off in class, not the teacher…

1 Like