Should Taiwan drug test foreign English teachers regularly?

Somebody got out of an adultery charge while back due to jurisdictional issues. He admitted the adultery (the lover was pregnant), but argued that it happened outside of Taiwan.

This title sucks. Taiwan lets in a tiny percentage of people to educate its kids

Yes. I don’t deny there’s some bad apple expat teachers, but there’s also puh-leeeenty of shitty native Taiwanese teachers as well.

2 Likes

Yes, but big-nose teachers are just innately more scary to local children, which makes them worse, all else being equal.

The thread title is ludicrous. There’s probably .01 % of foreign professors in higher learning and about the same number of foreign teachers for kindergarten to high school in Taiwan

Yes, but we make up for those low numbers by standing out more, especially in esteemed publications like Apple Daily.

I think it’s futile to get upset about these tabloids. You’ll find them in every country and you’ll find people who read them in every county. In german we have the “Bild-Zeitung” bashing refugees. The other content is fear, tits and the weather forecast.
And the news in taiwan don’t have a very broad spectrum anyways.

Upset is a strong word. More like bemusement, mild boredom…

1 Like

I love these stories. I wish 1000 of them would happen every month.:joy: What makes this one so entertaining is the fact it was not a newbie but a PR!

I still want to know, though: why wasn’t he named? Every other foreigner picked up for, well, anything, gets named in the press, even if it’s only a first name due to journalistic excellence and all. This is a little strange.

1 Like

He must understand Taiwan culture.

1 Like

Maybe they’re working out an immunity deal to get him to flip on the hashish Kingpin of Taipei. :flushed:

3 Likes

Exactly. Moreover, because of the culture of not making waves and face saving, when you open the newspapers or watch the news, every day, there are lecherous teachers, local teachers, taking advantage of minors…And walking away, keeping on teaching. Especially the famous ones.

If an atoga sets one finger on a kid, it is Apple Daily cover news for a week jail and the whole enchilada. The atoga has been at least gone through the motions of a police check.

2 Likes

Oh he was, just not on this article.

Several of my high school teachers smoked weed back in the 80s - probably more so today (especially in Colorado and Washington State where it is legal).

But since it is illegal it shouldn’t be done in Taiwan - teacher or not.

He probably just wasn’t as smart as the local teachers who smoke weed - so he was caught. Just sayin.

1 Like

No, no, no, no…its still illegal in many countries but the law is basically wrong and the drug is basically a benign drug with great medicinal benefits (OK I know it also causes some degree of harm in some cases). It’s New Zealand’s number one cash crop and is smoked everywhere in NZ. Police are under specific instructions to not arrest for possession and judges are told to throw cases out of court unless there is proof of intent to distribute. But its still illegal.

I’m getting tired of making this point over and over; existence of a prohibiting law per se does not imply a moral imperative to refrain from the act. Oral sex is still illegal in some states of the US but mo one is going to argue that means people should refrain from the act of oral sex.

1 Like

Would you kiss your mother with that mouth?

2 Likes

That’s a low blow…

job.

1 Like

Yeah, right about waist level. :grin:

First of all, law is normative in that it prescribes how members of society are to behave. In that sense it is imperative that you follow the law. Criminal law specifically addresses the aspect of morality, which civil law does not. Hence in the former the focus lies on punishment in the public interest, wheres the latter regulates relationships and disputes between private individuals with a focus on concillation of opposing claims. Punishment is the consequence of criminal acts. As punishment is the consequence, a judgement on the moral depravity of the act is involved as otherwise the conciliary functions of civil law would be sufficient.

Furthermore, your anectodes of criminal sexual acts of oral intercourse between consenting adults in the United States are bogus. Such statutes have been found unconstitutional in all states and on the federal level.