Show me your rides!

Geez Dr, I know you get peckish at times, but I didn’t know it got that bad.

I’ve been here for 10 years and still don’t have one of those cards… :blush:

In TW, right? Damn… :smiley:

Most fun I ever had on the streets; CPI 250SM 2010 (partially because of the Taiwan roads as well)

SOMETIMES, they let me borrow one of these;

No pics from the T4, Toyota or Blue Truck at hand right now, sorry.

Pushbikes don’t count in my case…

Oh go on then:

Thats our present car used for work and family stuff.

One of these on order for the end of the year, under 1million for a car that does 0-100 in under 6 seconds with a remap :laughing:

That was the car before, if you have a 3.5 you should invest in a full exhaust, the stock car shares the same exhaust with the 2.3 and it really restricts the top end.

Wifes scooter (for sale now) been replaced with the Yeti at the top

The Lexus that blew up, lovely car actually, shame it blew up… must be the only 2jz to do such a thing!.

My first car in Taiwan, turbo’d swift with silly amounts of money thrown at it… great fun, miss it a bit!.

My WRX:

Stock WRX vs. Stage3:

My Triumph Sprint RS 955i:

Man…that Triumph looks like a beautiful ride, Redwagon. A triple, right?

Jealous. What nice colors.

stage3 looks INSANE!.
Thats a replacement turbo along with other bolt ons right?.
How did you get it to have more power at lower rpm than stock… damn thats making me look at the hideous new forester in a new light now!.

Nice and smooth power curve redwagon, is it 2.0L or 2.5L? Stock intercooler?
My 2002 rex 2.0L was running 287 at the wheels [quote=“redwagon”]My WRX:

Stock WRX vs. Stage3:

[/quote]

[quote=“smellybumlove”]stage3 looks INSANE!.
Thats a replacement turbo along with other bolt ons right?.
How did you get it to have more power at lower rpm than stock… damn thats making me look at the hideous new forester in a new light now!.[/quote]
Hehe. There is probably another 10~20whp in this turbo, but at the moment the mod list for the powertrain is:

BNR Supercars TD05H-Evo16G turbo
Tactrix 3-port boost control solenoid
STi fuel pump
STi exhaust manifolds / crossover pipe
Invidia 76mm downpipe with high-flow metal-substrate catalytic converter
Custom 76mm resonated midpipe
Stock intercooler
Stock injectors
Stock muffler (almost silent)

Using a factory header is helpful as it retains heat well, and has very short runners. A large diameter, equal-length header is great for peak power but you give up some spool to get it.
The much larger turbine actually helps torque off boost by offering less restriction. You can increase timing off-boost when back-pressure and thus exhaust gas temperatures are lower, and gain torque this way… basically tune like it were naturally-aspirated. A good downpipe (the turbo dump pipe) with an open bellmouth allows the wastegate to flow properly, which in turn allows more aggressive boost control while avoiding boost spikes or creeping. The extra control authority from the 3-port BCS is really critical here. Less resistance in the exhaust is higher pressure drop across the turbine which also improves efficiency and thus spool. This turbo uses an 8cm2 exhaust housing vs. the usual 7cm2 item aftermarket TD05s usually come with.
The bigger compressor is more efficient and flows more air at lower boost pressures, which is pure win. This is the same compressor wheel used on the Mitsubishi EvoX… it flows just a pound less air per minute than the typical 18G wheel, but it’s much lighter and therefore responds much quicker, especially on the larger 2.5 liter engine.

The hard part was the tune… 3 months and well over a hundred map revisions to get here. I put a lot of work into tuning valve timing (AVCS) to find the sweet spot between volumetric efficiency and spool, and where to retard timing while boost is building to avoid loss of charge or exhaust gas reversion. Then of course tweaking ignition timing again to make the best of that. A lot of tail-chasing!
Finally, I am using some experimental ECU definitions which open some features Subaru were not using in order to allow, in a roundabout way, boost to be tuned for each gear. Per-gear boost control allows you to tune for the earliest possible spool in each gear, and accurately reach the same boost target. This is usually not possible when using one boost map and one control table and it’s usually the lower gears that suffer late spool and low boost in order to avoid overboosting in higher gears. For example you have to hold 3rd gear back some to avoid fuel cut in top gear. This is what gives many tuned cars that feel of no low rpm torque and then all of it coming in a big rush somewhere in the middle of the rev range.

[quote=“feropont”]Nice and smooth power curve redwagon, is it 2.0L or 2.5L? Stock intercooler?
My 2002 rex 2.0L was running 287 at the wheels [/quote]
Thank you. It’s an EJ255, 2.5L engine. Intercooler is stock at the moment, which is why I limit boost to 19psi peak and have to taper off at high revs.

287hp is good from an '02 with no AVCS and 16-bit ECU. The 2.0 and 2.5L motors tend to make about the same power on any given turbo, just the 2.0 will spool and peak a few hundred rpm later. OTOH it’s a lot more expensive to spin a 2.5L over 7,000rpm than it is with the EJ20s… those are much more fun to tune!

Wow… you should probably look into turning this knowledge into $ on the us market.
I checked out all the various stage 3’s that are on offer and they all suck in comparison!.

My whole turbo is about the size of your compressor wheel btw :smiley:

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Wow… you should probably look into turning this knowledge into $ on the us market.
I checked out all the various stage 3’s that are on offer and they all suck in comparison!.

My whole turbo is about the size of your compressor wheel btw :smiley:[/quote]
Haha… There are far more talented tuners in the US and tuning by email is risky for all involved.

A 16G is a comparatively small turbo for this engine, but going bigger on a WRX requires many more supporting mods and several times the budget if the car is going to stay reliable.

[quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]

That’s MY ride!

Why drive yourself, when you can hire someone else to do it for you?[/quote]I ride the same :smiley: Mine is the better performing '06 Student version though. You put in the same amount of money but less is taken out each trip! I haven’t bothered getting the Adult kind since graduating, I know I’m a bad person but I don’t live in Taipei.