Show us your guitars!

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I made all of these (only some angles shown for brevity):

[/quote]

Green sunburst strat with a tortoise-shell pick guard. Thats sick! (in a good way) You, sir, are a disturbed genius! :bravo:

for most of the time Ive been playing I couldn’t afford a really nice guitar so I had to build my own or hotrod cheap pawnshop guitars. Since I moved to Asia I haven’t had access to workspace to build anything but I do miss building my own.

I’m sure there must be some new guitars on Forumosa to show here.

Here’s another of mine. A Tele-type guitar made from parts:

I’m too embarrassed to show a guitar I can’t play, but did you happen to notice this article recently?

Guitar Frets: Environmental Enforcement Leaves Musicians in Fear

Last week, the US feds raided Gibson and said that their FSC certified wood wasn’t up to par. The consequences are quite shocking for luthiers. Essentially under the Lacey act, if you can’t provide rock solid certification for every piece of rare wood used in an instrument, it could be confiscated. Doesn’t matter if it’s an antique!

Or for a clearer take, this article. How to Turn Guitarists Into Tea Partiers: Take Their Gibsons Away

HG

Lo Pan: Nice. I have a couple of Ibanez S series. No photos of my own, but here are some others of the same models:

ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S470_(2003-2009 Mine is a woody yellow with a glossy finish, so it’s not the same as that one.

ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S540 Mine (which I bought in the U.S.) is a woody, very dark brown with a glossy finish and custom pickups.

Then I have (I think, because I don’t have it in Taiwan) a Seagull CW Duet Cutaway that looks like this (but also has built in electronics).

http://achamilton.co.uk/Seagull/MOSAICCW.htm

Then I have a couple of crappy acoustics, a crappy classical, and also some sort of no-name 12-string acoustic. The only guitars I have in Taiwan though are the Ibanez 470 (which I need to get restrung because I can never restring it properly without having a really high bridge because of the floating tremolo system, which is more trouble than it’s worth, really) and a crappy acoustic. I should get the Ibanez 540 and Seagull here because those are awesome guitars.

It’s more of a consequence for luthiers, it means we need to provide rock solid proof for everything we own. I always thought traditionally if there are wrongdoing involved its up to the authorities to prove that the wrongdoing occurred in the first place. But I guess all this new terrorist legislation changes that.

By the way by now I managed to build an acoustic guitar from scratch… you don’t need a big shop to do it if you know what you’re doing but having a big shop does speed up production time a LOT.

Hi All,

sorry if this is off topic … My friend is looking for a nice reasonably prices Bass Guitar…

If any one has one or know of anyone who is selling one … can you please pm me the details .

TIA

LIGHTHOUSE

After a lot of searching and calling, a friend of mine found this guitar for me. I got it last week and she looks just as pretty in person :lick:

My newest baby…

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Lo Pan: Nice. I have a couple of Ibanez S series. No photos of my own, but here are some others of the same models:

ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S470_(2003-2009 Mine is a woody yellow with a glossy finish, so it’s not the same as that one.

ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S540 Mine (which I bought in the U.S.) is a woody, very dark brown with a glossy finish and custom pickups.

Then I have (I think, because I don’t have it in Taiwan) a Seagull CW Duet Cutaway that looks like this (but also has built in electronics).

http://achamilton.co.uk/Seagull/MOSAICCW.htm

Then I have a couple of crappy acoustics, a crappy classical, and also some sort of no-name 12-string acoustic. The only guitars I have in Taiwan though are the Ibanez 470 (which I need to get restrung because I can never restring it properly without having a really high bridge because of the floating tremolo system, which is more trouble than it’s worth, really) and a crappy acoustic. I should get the Ibanez 540 and Seagull here because those are awesome guitars.[/quote]

GuyInTaiwan, I just noticed your reply to my post… sorry for the late re-reply

What part of Taiwan are you in? with the array of guitars you have, it seems pretty likely we’d get along for a Jam session.

I have a few Ibanez Jems that are my main guitars for cutting loose and being gratuitous with a whammy bar. A Zakk Wylde les paul for when I want to … well … pretend that I’m Zakk Wylde and a variety of strats and teles for when Im being a little more normal.

you play shows in taiwan much?

[quote=“Lo Pan”]After a lot of searching and calling, a friend of mine found this guitar for me. I got it last week and she looks just as pretty in person :lick:

My newest baby…

[/quote]

oh man, oh man. Do you have anything on the provenance? It is newish but still, great find and fun for playing live. You be lucky. How about giving us a full photo that shows the rest of her?

Only downside for me is I would have hoped they had made the fret inlays in the shape of something iconic. (Maneki-neko)!

Also, the pickguard artwork could have been better thought out to utilize the transparency. But these are small details that are dwarfed by the giant you got. Well done.

[quote=“elektronisk”]oh man, oh man. Do you have anything on the provenance? It is newish but still, great find and fun for playing live. You be lucky. How about giving us a full photo that shows the rest of her?

Only downside for me is I would have hoped they had made the fret inlays in the shape of something iconic. (Maneki-neko)!

Also, the pickguard artwork could have been better thought out to utilize the transparency. But these are small details that are dwarfed by the giant you got. Well done.[/quote]

It is a 2013 Fender Japan ST62-SPL JGD. Basically a Japan reissue of a 62 strat with this special finish. You can see them here http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/st62_spl.html If you search the web there are several shops in Japan that have this guitar on their websites but when you call them they are all sold out. The white version with dragons is a standard production model and easy to find but Fender Japan only made 30 guitars in this gold w/geishas finish and they were only sold in Japan.

My friend in Tokyo called Fender Japan for me asking for help to locate one but was told “they are all gone and we arent making any more.” Shortly afterwards, another friend saw this one in some random guitar shop in Tokyo and bought it for me…So there are 30 in existence and I suspect that this may be the only one outside of Japan. :discodance:

Yes, it has regular fret inlays but then again, I have never seen Fender do funky inlays… unless you consider circles and squares funky.

The pickguard is actually not transparent. The finish is done by clearcoating over a printed cloth like Ibanez did with the Jem7FP. However, instead of a clear pickguard like the Floral Jems, this pickguard is two plys of clear with that same printed fabric sealed betewen them

Back when I was in Japan I bought a Fender Jazz Bass. It was nice, but it didn’t have the fancy pictures on it.

By the way there’s an update to the whole lacey act mess… Congress just said that personal guitars in airline baggages are exempt from lacey act declaration/permit requirement.

1 Like

Wow, snazzy guitar Lo Pan. Only 30 mode, eh? That’s pretty amazing.

HNGD!

Good to know, thanks. Glad they saw some sense.

Love this Ibanez

3 Likes

What’s the body look like, flying bunny ears?

1 Like

GIO is a Stratocaster clone model, in looks anyway.

I’ve got the JEM in white, very nice guitar, made in Indonesia, probably under duress.

The really colourful Japanese-made PIA77 looks great, but far too pricey.

1 Like

Tar bunny capo? :laughing:

Ibanez are good value I think , usually heavy,but for an electric that’s not an issue.

Is there a thread on Forumosa where composers and musicians can present their work?

Not sure, but feel free to start one