Sick leave because of covid infection/quarantine (Spring 2022)

What are you talking about?

Guy

28 posts were split to a new topic: Workers’ rights: theory vs. practice

That means the statutory sick leave is fifty per cent of pay ?

Yeah. Companies need to give you 30 sick days a year which pay at least half pay. Some companies spice it up a bit by giving you 7 full pay sick days, and 16 half paid days, but I don’t know the legality of that.

2 Likes

What kind of jobs are you all working in that they won’t pay you if you are out sick? I need to clear this up with my company as well if policies are changing there.

If you are out sick, they need to pay you 50%.

If they give you a hard time one day in the future. PM me. I’ve had sick days recompensated through the LSA.

Record all instances of being sick. Keep proof. Keep hospital/doctors receipts or anything that proves you were sick that day.

1 Like

I guess I’m just thinking that if you are traced as a contact and told to quarantine it’s not really your choice so I don’t understand how the law would allow them not to pay you. Since plenty of people are in QT that aren’t technically sick, just contacts.

It really depends. Does the nature of your work allow you to work at home even just temporarily?

For anyone to whom the Labor Standards Act applies, even if paid by the hour.

https://laws.mol.gov.tw/FLAW/FLAWDAT0202.aspx?id=FL014935

2 Likes

If someone is paid by the hour, pays taxes properly, and has health insurance, do you know what/how they wouldn’t need to be included in the labour insurance plan?

At my old job, I paid labour and health insurance.

At my current one, I don’t pay labour. How is that the government don’t ask my employer why I am not included.

Because under a certain amount of hours ? Buxiban?

A lot of hours.

Buxiban.

As I said, taxes are filed correctly. Health insurance is deducted.

How come the government doesn’t ask them why we don’t pay labour?

I’d be happy to pay. I just don’t know how they get away with me not joining.

At my old job, a smaller company, the government contacted them. That was a buxiban too.

One thread on here said buxibans had to start paying it in 2018 , also health insurance .
We can’t depend on the government to check it.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. Seems strange that the government enforced the rules at the smaller school but not at the big one.

Maybe it isn’t so strange.

2 Likes

Two possibilities:

1. The buxiban has never established itself as a labor insurance unit* and therefore is exempt on the grounds that it is neither a company nor a “business” (even though it is a business entity and may be a unit of a company).

2. The boss doesn’t give a :crazy_face:.

(Of course they’re not mutually exclusive.)

*If anyone is or ever has been insured with the buxiban as the insurance unit, that means yes they are obligated to register all employees. The only ways they could conceivably get out of that legally would be to close and reopen under a new name (but even that wouldn’t necessarily work) or to claim you’re not an employee (which sometimes works but usually fails).

50% just like any other sick day

Individuals covered under Taiwan’s Labor Insurance program who are unable to work because they have tested positive for COVID-19 can claim injury or sickness benefits after four days of absence from their job.

Under the Labor Insurance program, the injury/sickness benefit is calculated at 50 percent of one’s insured monthly salary. In the example above, half of an insured salary of NT$45,800 is NT$22,900, or NT$763.33 per day (when divided by 30). Calculated over seven days, the payout would be NT$5,343.33.

2 Likes

After four days?? Is that why the rule is 3 plus four?

Also if the quarantine starts on a Saturday.

đŸ‡« :salute: