Signed a contract with a school to come to Taiwan in July, you think work visas will be cancelled?

Seems a bit like closing the stable door after the werewolf has eaten your horse.

3 Likes

I am actually distraught. I’m just wondering if, even though they have stopped the visas, whether the work permit side of things is still going, so that when visas open up again I am ready to apply for it immediately or whether this means permits stop too. I just wanna get everything as ready as possible for reopening.

no reason to be distraught, things will take the time they take. you’ve sent to shane the things they wanted. shane will probably not go out of business overnight, so they will process your documents and let you know in due time.

in the meantime, have you looked into that degree authorization we keep bringing up?

1 Like

Entry into TW: Only ARC holders and citizens eligible, according to this press release

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-6517-9b761-2.html

I have asked shane about the degree authorisation, I will wait on their response when they wake up tomorrow.

In other news, according to an email received a few minutes ago from the TRO in London, work permits are still being processed, it’s just not the visa that is being processed right now. So I can still work on getting all my docs together and sending them to Taiwan for the work permit.

What they said exactly:

Hi,

The work permit takes longer time to process, so will suggest you continue to apply work permit and once you receive it, you can wait for board re-open, then apply visa from us.

Kind regards,

駐英國台北代表處 領務組 |Taipei Representative Office in the U.K.

1 Like

Jesus Christ, this is a mess

What about all those people who got a contract quit their work and sent in notices to vacate with their apartments or homes?

Sounds like a disaster for many people who already have contracts issued for the next 30 days

1 Like

Yeah it’s almost like they shouldn’t do blanket ban on foreigners purely to appease xenophobic voters

1 Like

I was hoping that the fact that this all spread from local taiwanese people (the pilot who skipped quarantine specifically) and not foreigners might help a bit with that. But I guess not

1 Like

Now I’m wondering if I should just wait another year before trying to come back. I have to make money to survive. I can’t wait around forever to get a job in Taiwan. I really want to come so I can live with my girlfriend and get married eventually but I have to be realistic. Just trying to gauge how long this might last. It’s so frustrating. I guess kinda luckily I still haven’t gotten a work contract offered (I turned down one in Taichung last winter that I’m now regretting). Just don’t know if the hiring of foreigners will be frozen for 1 month or for a much longer time for the public school teachers

Don’t let fear be your angel

But Taiwan has stopped visitors for quite awhile and only recently started allowing foreign students in again

And I suppose transitting in Taiwan has stopped again?

Things are fluid right now I guess

1 Like

I’m going to continue with my work permit application if I can, and then hope that visas become open again once I have all that put together.

2 Likes