Signed a contract with a school to come to Taiwan in July, you think work visas will be cancelled?

I’ll take your offer.

1 Like

Yes, the temporary ban is for non-resident foreigners. If you can get a resident visa before you come, you should be allowed entry.

A couple caveats:

1. If not vaccinated, get vaccinated.
  2. Keep in mind that the situation is constantly changing. If there’s one thing that we have learned over the past year, is that rules can change on the spot with no warning.
  3. Make sure the flight you book is fully refundable.

Oh, that’s no different from before, then. What exactly has changed?

This is what is confusing the hell out of me, wtf Taiwan

They lifted the ban on non-resident foreigners entering on March 1. Now they have re-imposed it starting tomorrow.

1 Like

Yep, have had first vaccine, planning to ask my doc for the second one in a few weeks

Yeah the stress is unbelievable

1 Like

Not sure if this is accurate. The CDC announcement says:

Non-R.O.C. nationals without a valid Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) will be temporarily barred from entry.

A resident visa is not the same thing as an ARC. You are issued the resident visa and then have to apply for the ARC after you arrive.

I specifically asked this, I said “So even if I don’t already have an ARC, but I do have a residency visa, I can still go?” and she gave me an emphatic yes

Well hope that’s the case for your sake but if the situation keeps getting worse, I’d be skeptical. Would they really keep NIA open to process ARC applications in a Level 4 lockdown?

They kept work visas open in japan when the situation was far worse, in fact China is the only other country i know in the world where they fully stopped work visa entry too

It’s quite rare to do so by world standards, but this is taiwan we’re talking about after all so who TF knows

Good point, or the Ministry of Education to process the work permit?

It still comes back to: it is too early to worry about buying a plane ticket because that’s months down the road.

Certainly won’t be buying a plane ticket until I have my visa

1 Like

They said

未持有我國有效居留證(含居留簽證)之非本國籍人士,暫緩入境。緊急或人道考量等採專案許可除外。

Maybe do one of those “professional development” courses on online teaching meantime. Looks set for growth.
Not an online course on onlne teaching, though.
That’d have lower credibility, obviously.

1 Like

Well, I have been teaching online for many months now, but I guess there’s no qualification that I have tied to that, just experience

1 Like

Sounds like you should wait it out. What’s the rush if there ends up being a lockdown in taiwan? its not like you will be able to do anything.

1 Like

I want to get out of the UK, it’s very depressing and I have nothing going on for me here other than some very sporadic online english teaching. I’m unemployed, my life and career is in Taiwan

Well it might be looking like you would have to do teaching online in taiwan too for the moment. Just wait it out and try to have a better attitude, Taiwan isn’t going to fix all your problems, especially now while the shit is hitting the fan.

Seriously, but don’t come to Taiwan if you feel depressed right now. The entire country is in a state that the rest of the world was in a bit less than 1.5 years ago with COVID cases rising and all the places starting to close

In UK/Europe/US you have at least a realistic perspective about things becoming better again and improving quite soon. Taiwan probably has some really dark months ahead where things will gradually get worse - not a good time to come here. Just wait it out some other place and look forward to coming to Taiwan around next year maybe.

3 Likes

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs put out a statement earlier that seamed to indicate otherwise regarding the resident visa.

【5/19-6/18暫緩未持有我國有效居留證的外籍人士入境】

配合中央流行疫情指揮中心自5月19日至6月18日暫緩未持有我國有效居留證的外籍人士入境,外交部將暫停受理各類簽證申請。

1、外交部配合指揮中心防疫政策,將暫停受理各類簽證申請。
2、目前持有有效停留簽證、居留簽證者也將暫緩來台。
3、外籍人士如果因奔喪、探視病危親屬等緊急重大事由急需來台,必須經指揮中心專案許可後才能向駐外館處申請特別入境許可簽證。
4、上述措施將由指揮中心視疫情及執行狀況適時滾動調整。

MOFA to halt processing of visa applications in accordance with CECC suspension of entry to Taiwan from May 19 to June 18 for foreign nationals not holding a valid R.O.C. (Taiwan) Resident Certificate

Considering the recent escalation of COVID-19 cases internationally and within Taiwan, and to safeguard domestic antipandemic security and protect people’s health, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced on May 17 that entry to Taiwan will be suspended from 00:00 on May 19 (local time of departure) to June 18 for foreign nationals not holding a valid R.O.C. (Taiwan) Resident Certificate. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis for emergencies and on humanitarian grounds.

In accordance with the CECC’s antipandemic policy, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will halt processing of visa applications. Entry will also be suspended for persons holding a valid visitor visa or resident visa. Foreign nationals requiring entry to Taiwan for emergency and on humanitarian ground, such as attending a funeral or visiting a critically ill family member, must receive special permission from the CECC before applying for a special entry permit visa from the Taiwan offices in their home country.

The abovementioned measures may be adjusted by the CECC at any time in accordance with the status of the pandemic and associated operations.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-6517-9b761-2.html

4 Likes