Single white female- what ever will happen to me!

(Just posted this on ESL cafe too- so if you think you saw it before- no you are not crazy)
Hi guys- just a question that has been really playing on my mind since reading a few postings- I’m coming to Taiwan to teach and although I don’t want to spend the next year celibate this is how I am reading the situation;
a) All ex-pat men date Taiwanese women,
b) The types of Taiwanese men attracted to ex-pat women are not the type that these women would like to have attracted to them, and
c) If you do date a Taiwanese mail and dump him he will bombard you with phone calls and txt msgs at home and at work and stalk you with his friends (sometimes even if he likes you).
Now I like men of many colours and I am coming from New Zealand- the land of the worst Male to Female ratio in the Western world and frankly I was hoping for a little better from Taiwan… any good news for me??

Nope. No good news.
You’re screwed.
Or not, as it were.

Most, but certainly not all, foreign men date Taiwanese women, for reasons that should be pretty obvious. And no, body hair isn’t generally part of the equation.
I don’t know about the ins and outs of dating Taiwanese men.

I have met a number western men here that were completely uninterested in the local women and were looking for western girlfriends. But, in general, I think that most of the single western men who come to Taiwan already have an interest in dating Asian women.

I have many single western female friends here and they have a really tough time on the dating scene. Many leave after a year or two because of this.

It’s really tough for many single western women here, but not for all…I have seen some foreign couples get together here in my time (nearly 6 years), so it’s certainly not impossible, just more difficult than it would be at home. :rainbow:

I know at least two pretty cool Taiwanese guys who are dating foreign women.

On behalf of the small number of bad spellers here of which I’m a proud paid up member I’d like to welcome you to Forumosa.

Are you looking for a boyfriend, or are you just looking to get laid?

[quote=“Em-dogz”]
a) All ex-pat men date Taiwanese women,[/quote]
It doesn’t matter who they’re dating, it won’t stop them from trying boink you.

[quote=“Em-dogz”]
c) If you do date a Taiwanese mail and dump him he will bombard you with phone calls and txt msgs at home and at work and stalk you with his friends (sometimes even if he likes you). [/quote]
That’s Taiwanese women you’re describing.

[quote=“Em-dogz”]
any good news for me??[/quote]
I have to agree with Jaboney, no news is good news.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

[quote=“Em-dogz”]
c) If you do date a Taiwanese mail and dump him he will bombard you with phone calls and txt msgs at home and at work and stalk you with his friends (sometimes even if he likes you). [/quote]
That’s Taiwanese women you’re describing.[/quote]

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: That is what I was going to reply. Dating a Taiwanese guy myself and even though I am complaining a lot, he is the best thing ever happend to me. :sunglasses:

I’ve had not too many issues.
My ex sucked. But “the kind who are attracted to white girls” do suck, Cuz they are attracted to someone for their skin. But you can get men who don’t typically chase whitey. I have several friends who have told me they would never have thought they would but if they knew another girl like me blah blah blah…
all you need is just a little patience.
oh patience.
yeah patience.

On behalf of the small number of bad spellers here of which I’m a proud paid up member I’d like to welcome you to Forumosa.[/quote]
:laughing: so true! But in the sweetest possible way :slight_smile:

I’d invite you not to make too many assumptions based on what you read. Instead, choose to keep an open mind. We usually get not what we desire, but what we believe.

I’d also invite you to take into account the fact that for most men and women living in Taiwan, regardless of ethnic background, the majority of the people they associate with on a daily basis are Taiwanese. I don’t think there is a deliberate process of exclusion going on here, at least not in a majority of cases. It is more a matter of numbers, or population make-up.

I am not unsympathetic to people to people who feel that because of their nationality or ethnic background, they are unable to find romantic partners, but I suspect that in many cases, this has more do to with self-defeating beliefs and behaviors than with reality.

Well, you could fly to Hongkong every weekend. Other than in Taiwan, Chinese women in HK are not interested in non-Asian foreigners, so there is less competition. Plus, there are plenty of non-Asian foreigners you can meet. In case you go to Tokyo, you will be in heaven.

Em-dogz,

Experiences have been mixed for almost everyone. So, that’s good news because you’ll get to go through it all yourself probably, including the good times :slight_smile:

Taiwanese… it depends a lot on what type you are physically. If you’re not too tall, overweight or too dark-skinned, you shouldn’t have a problem dating local guys. Go for it, girl!

“White” Westerners… difficult, but not impossible.

“Asian” Westerners (aka ABC, CBC etc)… sometimes more likely to date you than “white” Westerners (because they don’t have a type preference for Asian) and not as critical of physical type as local guys. Not to mention the cultural and communication advantages.

Of course, you should first answer Dr. Z’s question on what you want out of these encounters, a commitment or just some casual fun.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, everyone, this is indeed a generalisation. Thanks for noticing. Have a nice day :slight_smile:

[quote=“SuchAFob”]
My ex sucked. But “the kind who are attracted to white girls” do suck, Cuz they are attracted to someone for their skin.
yeah patience.[/quote]

that’s a pretty sweeping generalization. I think people can be attracted to anything they want. The point is to keep an open mind

Also I’d like to point out to be with someone for the sake of just being with another person is fallacious and could potentially be hazardous.

I just noticed that tash has posted everything I want to say, so I’ll stop here. Just a note, I rather use the terms “ABT” and “CBT”

What, even for American-born Chinese not from Taiwan? :wink:

If you like Asian men, and you are NOT AFRAID TO APPROACH MEN, then you will never be lonely. EVERY Taiwanese guy I do language exchange with asks me to give him pointers on how to get a western girlfriend. Also, they are under the impression that no Western female will ever date them, so many of them have given up and only dream of western woman from afar, never approaching them because of what they perceive as the certainty of rejection. So if you want to get a Taiwanese boyfriend, YOU will have to be the one to approach him, since they are too timid to approach you. If you wait around for them to approach you, you’ll be waiting a long, long, time. If you approach them, you can expect to expreience vey little rejection. If the LE partners I’ve had lately are typical, I can tell you: they’re desperate. Dating a western female is like an unnatainable dream to them. Something the girls have over the guys here is tht TW women KNOW that western guys want them. Not so with the TW guys. If a TW guy actually succeeds in getting a western girlfriend, he is like a hero to his friends, because they thing he has won some kind or unnattainable prize against all odds.

There aren’t many foreign females here. Probably about half of them don’t date Asians (these are the ones that are always miserable and complaining, btw., ) Of the rest that do, half of them are taken. I recently went out with one of my Taiwanese male friends with the hopes of coaching him to speak to western girls. When I saw how bleak the dating scene looked through his eyes, I immediately stopped feeling sorry for myself. Though there were about 20 foreign girls in the place, a good half of them were in large insular groups that included foreign guys (good luck approaching THAT) , about five more looked like they were just not interested in men that night, e.g. probaly taken or just there for the drinks, and the rest had their pick of the 80 or so Taiwanese guys there, most of whom were taller and more attractive than my friend. I really never realized just how bad they have it until then. I really don’t think my friend will EVER get a Western girlfriend. The odds are just against it that baly and I just feel so sorry for him.

Taiwanese guys who want to date western girls outnumber foreign girls who want to date Taiwanese guys by a very, very, very, large margin. I can’t speak for how they treat women, but the questions they ask in my language exchanges (e.g. “how do I win a girls heart?”, etc.) don’t seem to indicate any malice to me.

I hate to be so crude, but it ain’t your skin that’s the main attraction…most Western girls have two big advantages over most Asian girls, if you follow my drift. :wink:

Damn. :doh:

There goes my social life…wait a minute…it’s been five years since the last time I’ve had “a social life”.

Oh well…at least I’m not tall. :s

Most of the foreign girls who are not dating I’ve met in Taiwan tend to fall into 2 categories:

-Overweight and Bitter
Go to the gym, and lighten up. Having a good attitude is a step in the right direction. Some guys like bigger girls, but then again most like girls who are in shape.

-Prissy types
The “I’m too good for you” types. This attitude would work back home but when local girls are really into you, why would you bother dating a girl who acts like that?

go ahead flame away

I think a lot of Asian men jock White girls. Heck I have the biggest fetish for them. A lot of Asian men tend to be on the shy side. Aren’t White girls incredibly social? Sorry Im generalizing but I think its such a turn on if a White girl comes up to me and tries to befriend me. Maybe you can do that…