SJW no-whites day at Evergreen State College

Yeah, but Olympia is an entirely other universe.

Is that like Berkeley university levels of current year?

Iā€™ve never even heard of this Evergreen, but Iā€™m getting the sense this is the fall-back school of C and D students who donā€™t make the cut at the community college of their choice.

Iā€™ve known people who have studied and taught at Evergreen and it used to be legit. Sure, it was full of dirty hippies but, generally speaking, the students were as good as you would find in any school and some of the classes were, genuinely, innovative.

Itā€™s been nearly entirely overrun with SJWs and currently has no redeemable value and itā€™s sad to see such a place go under.

7 Likes

I think theyā€™ve made some changes, they had a big fall in enrollment after this and other news hit.

1 Like

Evergreen has always been very left of center, but the current wackness didnā€™t really start in earnest until George Bridges took over as president. Illustrious Evergreen alumni include Paul Stamets, Matt Groening and Carrie Brownstein.

It descended into Lord of the Flies stuff:

Bear in mind that the academic staff some of the students were attacking are all progressives and liberals. They werenā€™t going after some conservative professors, because there are none there.

Blimey, this takes some watching. The logic involved is so messed up, but they totally believe it.

This is the Evergreen academic staff/faculty btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2WeWgcSMk

Only two things come out of Berkeley ,Cow ā€¦ wait that does not work on you :joy:

Graduate of Evergreen here. It was one of the highest-ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. for a short time in the mid eighties. According to friends who work there, itā€™s nothing like what it once was.

3 Likes

The students should get involved, but they should never be calling the shots. That seems to me where Evergreen went wrong. Competitive progressiveness looks like another problem.

The main issue has to be belief gaining the upper hand over fact, IMO.

4 Likes

This is seems to be a widespread occurrence in small, liberal arts colleges throughout the US.

For example, Oberlin College. Administration were so badly shaken by a minority groupā€™s threats to riot on campus (including throwing pastries in the cafeteria) that several years later when a student was caught shoplifting wine from a local business, Gibsonā€™s Bakery - and when that student and two more were filmed beating a Gibsonā€™s employee who ran after them - that Oberlin ended up supporting a student protest against Gibsonā€™s (for racism; shoplifter was black) rather than bringing their students into line.

Oberlin is wealthy, and I think Evergreen used to be. But many small, liberal arts colleges are struggling financially these days and many of them are sorely tempted to capitulate to student demands as a result.

It has never worked out well when children are allowed to overrule parental authority. Not a winning recipe for any society.

3 Likes

Is that really it?

1 Like

Probably not 100% of it since liberal arts departments everywhere seem to have abandoned facts for beliefs. Itā€™s not limited to small colleges.

But in terms of avoiding being hurt financially by social-media savvy students impact on future enrollment ie revenue, I think it certainly explains what happened at Oberlin. I doubt Oberlin is unique, either.

1 Like

Most of these faculty membersā€™ arguments are tortured enough on their own, they donā€™t really need the Sonic Youth circa '87 dissonant guitar ambience behind them for emphasis. Maybe a little bias in the choice of music there.

There are a few reasonable arguments in that mess, most are egregiously stupid. But thereā€™s value in thisā€“certain viewers used to a certain level of status/privilege watching this and cringing can experienceā€¦or at least be exposed to how it feels to feel afraid to express their reasonable opinions in the workplace. Probably not a situation theyā€™re accustomed to.

Feeling pressured to conform to certain ideals in order to get a paycheck is an unfamiliar feeling for most of the lot frequently complaining about PC, etc. For others not lucky enough to be part of that in-group, these experiences are commonplace. This is kind of the point.

If the thought of being forced to participate in this PC-gone-amok belief system in order to keep a gig rightfully makes people here want to puke, maybe they should consider that people forced to stand during an anthem and participate in gaudy ethno-nationalist military pomp and circumstance in order to keep their gigs in sports might have the same feelings as that poor olā€™ prof in the Evergreen video. Or more real world, office workers that have to nod and smile and pretend MAGA makes sense because their bosses think so.

1 Like

how so?
besides being the capital and former home to its namesake brew and one of the cheapest beers out their during my college years

Seems the title of this thread was changed? Iā€™m pretty sure it didnā€™t indicate Evergreen in the beginning. Either this happened or I had a serious brain fart.

Evergreenā€™s been doing that kind of thing for a while now. Itā€™s still kinda funny since Evergreenā€™s off near Olympia, on the way to Aberdeen, and it sure isnā€™t a multicultural wonderland. But maybe they import a lot of their students from other places.

1 Like

If you watch the video with the guy leading the canoe of change thing, he looks messianic. I think itā€™s gone beyond fear of lost revenue. Itā€™s a religion.

1 Like

Whatever it is, itā€™s definitely spread to the Ivy League. Itā€™s not just small liberal arts colleges that are affected. Sheā€™s arguing that all US colleges should make these mandatory courses.

A Dartmouth College sociology professor called on universities to require students to take courses on white privilege and black history.

Dr. Emily Walton argued in a USA Today op-ed that, ā€œif racial equity is to be an achievable goal,ā€ then students should be required to take courses on these topics before they graduate.

ā€œArguably the greatest tragedy, however, is that people of color, like white people, do not question American cultural messages of individual responsibility and equal opportunity,ā€ Walton says. ā€œBecause they are taught a white-centered history, they may internalize a narrative of personal failure for their social and economic standing.ā€

Dr Emily Watson is an Evergreen alumnus. I was wrong. They can get jobs in sociology.

Also, why should individual responsibility be questioned? What a bizarre concept.