Slow Exodus of Businesses from Taiwan due to political risk

Yea he might be a political genius but not a strategic genius it seems.

If xi supported this military operation in the past, he clearly isn’t supporting it now. He’s not even sending any help to Putin.

Also china has lifted people out of poverty, Russia on the other hand plunged everyone into poverty, so it seems china is doing something right.

Not really. Prologium not even listed, and this deal is way too big for them to chew that they need to do IPO. Other investments are still coming in like this one.

https://www.bnext.com.tw/article/75196/entegris-manufacturing-speciality-chemical-tsmc

1 Like

Don’t agree .

It’s sad that a Taiwanese Company is basically relocating to Europe because of political risk

That’s semiconductors. Semiconductor-related companies are still investing in Taiwan like there’s no tomorrow. Show me a non-semiconductor-related company.

Has to be other reasons. Investment always follow money.

By the way taiwan has a ton of investments into china. So clearly it’s not that.

It depends on what kind of company it is. Many companies are rubbish

I am aware of a few but they are confidential.

I dont think this is a rubbish one.

It seems that foreign companies, including Mercedes have invested and they wont continue investing as long as they are in Taiwan.

TSMC is expanding their fabs in Tainan, and is building additional more advanced N2.5 and N1 fabs. They aren’t going to do that unless there’s some serious business coming. IC fabs aren’t cheap. They’re building one plant in Arizona but most of TSMC’s operation is going to be in Taiwan.

If a company is pulling out of Taiwan the decision is much more likely to be a market related reason, not because of China or political problems.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with @Taiwan_Luthiers for once.

3 Likes

Name me one company that’s investing or expanding operations that’s not semiconductor-related.

This slowdown started with the Russia-Ukraine war, which made the prospects of a hot war in the Strait more real. The drills might’ve exacerbated the situation.

I’ve been tracking the establishment of R&D shops. There was a ton of momentum. After the war broke out, the only company to open one up was Meta a few months in, and it was planned before the war. After that, nothing.

No
Ffs
It says what the reason is.

The start of a beautiful relationship

2 Likes

No worries. Taiwan reservists will take care of the store fronts.

Nvidia opening up a huge R&D center. Maybe semiconductors will compensate for everything else.

1 Like

Hitachi. Still only semiconductors.

2 Likes

Chart doesn’t seem to correlate to anything specific, or perhaps it does correlate - to everything? :joy:

Though if you look at it from an annualized perspective it’s definitely on the increase overall:

There was a lot of foreign investment in Taiwan due to Offshore Wind recently. I think this is unlikley to be a long term trend so @OysterOmelet is right. A few years ago Taiwan was trending in the right direction.

I think if we have a couple of years without major political incidents, the fengshui will turn and foreign money will come back.

1 Like