Smellys vehicle dilemma

That’s true. Good point. But… Nudging your way through a changing traffic light is also slowing down everyone. Enough people do it that if you don’t do it when you have the chance, you end up having to wait at a green light because 6 other drivers are nudging through a red light. I make up for that time and I nudge back. I realize that if no one did that, everyone would get to where they need to go faster, but I’m not a fool. When in Rome…

I see warranty agreements with big corporations as something you need to exploit as much as possible. Let them take the tab if you can.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Ducked”]
OK, I didn’t realise the small-engined version of the Yeti wasn’t 4WD (I did a quick Google and there seems to be disagreement as to whether its an option) but then I’m not meant to.
[/quote]
Yes, there is talk of a 4WD option. Smelly, is Taiwan getting the 4WD version or not?[/quote]

It is but only diesel.

Truth be told i would like 4WD for the nasty wet roads we get here in taipei… that sounds SOOO gay but my teana used to lose traction all the time and it was quite dangerous sometimes!.
But no im getting a 2WD, but its only 105bhp and even if i put a larger turbo on im still only looking at 150+ which isnt enough to trouble the front tyres.

I hate SUV’s, i mock them all the time, but this car actually makes sense, its a golf with awesome storage capability’s and the additional height of the suspension makes it easier coming in and out of those horrid carparks dotted about the city.

As for whether im getting this car or not…

Well i have a deposit on it and signed a contract so its not a matter of IF just a matter of WHEN.

Of course i might buy other cars/bikes in-between, just remodded my BWS-125 today actually… :laughing:

Well it’s nice of you to be so candid. I cannot condone your position but at least you are willing to stand up for it. I don’t AFAIK own stocks in any auto manufacturers and hopefully other owners won’t jack Subaru of Taiwan to the point where it costs me time or money.

The bottom line is, you are taking big chances if you mod your car while in warranty and it then goes wrong. You may be able to game the warranty system and get others to foot the bill and you many not. I don’t expect Smelly to come back here crying about it if it doesn’t go his way.

Saw the launch news on china post today…so when can we see your new Yeti Smellybum?

Well the vehicle arrives at the dealers on the 16th this month give or take a few days for customs.
But i am also flying out on the 15th for 2-3 weeks to malaysia… its also 50/50 wether this trip will mean im making plans to move over to there for work reasons.

Either way its a win for me as i could custom import the YETI back to malaysia tax free anyway :bravo:

[quote=“smellybumlove”]Well the vehicle arrives at the dealers on the 16th this month give or take a few days for customs.
But I am also flying out on the 15th for 2-3 weeks to malaysia… its also 50/50 wether this trip will mean im making plans to move over to there for work reasons.

Either way its a win for me as i could custom import the YETI back to malaysia tax free anyway :bravo:[/quote]
You do know they drive on the left in Malaysia eh? :wink:

you mean the ‘right’ side :laughing:
I am well aware of that, but i prefer LHD drive cars for some reason, cant stand a manual LHD but an auto is fine for me.
cars in malaysia are double what they cost over here, so it would actually save me a TON of cash.

So i am finally taking delivery in the next few days, the car arrived while i was in Malaysia (lovely place btw) and the minute i arrived back i was called up 1-2 times a day by the sales lady in jung-he.
She kept making silly statements about how the car might have to go back to the factory unless i payed for it by the end of the month… yeah right, not that i listened to any of this but it was annoying to be called up so much.

I am already going through the usual BS of filling in forms with the bank, this process takes a few days so her calling me with silly threats doesnt help or speed up the process :unamused:
Now i am chosing my number plate, at the moment they all end XXXX-ZR and all the decent numbers have gone, which is a shame as when i bought my other cars i picked up 1000-EU, 0002-WR and 0020-KE.

Once the car arrives i will take pictures, fingers crossed the interior trim isnt scuffed to kingdom come (the samples in the showroom have terrible scuff marks from idiots getting in and out!).

[quote=“smellybumlove”]you mean the ‘right’ side :laughing:
I am well aware of that, but i prefer LHD drive cars for some reason, cant stand a manual LHD but an auto is fine for me.
cars in malaysia are double what they cost over here, so it would actually save me a TON of cash.[/quote]

hmm that’s interesting. i found driving a RHD definitely has its pluses in spirited driving since it’s physically harder to accidentally 3-2 or 4-3 misshift/mechanical-overrev. but having to reach for 1st and 2nd all the time makes traffic more of a chore. and malaysia, particularly KL, is JAM central.

have you tried driving a LHD in a RHD place or vice versa? my british colleagues used to bitch about this all the time after taking the chunnel over with their cars. having never been to the UK at the time, let alone taken the chunnel, i didn’t think it would be that bad. a while back a buddy of mine in the states thought it would be a good idea to get a skyline. an RHD-only one. i drove it once. it was… pretty suboptimal. that said, i guess it’s somewhat novel where you’re driving on the wrong side of the car relative to where you are. :slight_smile:

The whole bringing the yeti over is just an option.
I went to the top tuners in KL while i was over and was surrounded by R34’s, evo’s, RX7’s and all manner of japanese high power imports that i never heard of (toyota caldina gt-four anyone?).
They pay like 3X more than anybody else though thanks to a 300% tax on imports (but ex-pats can bring an import over tax free!)
On the flip side they get 9 years, no deposit 2% interest loans though (taiwan is like 6%, with a minimum 10% deposit and 4 year term) so it balances out for the poorer folk.

Still cant find a decent numberplate…

Does anyone know how easy it is to change your plate after registering?.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]

Still cant find a decent numberplate…

Does anyone know how easy it is to change your plate after registering?.[/quote]

It’s just a license plate number. Aiyo! :noway:

i know but its a habit of mine about getting good plates, i never pay anything over £50 for them (even in the uk).
My last plate in the uk read ‘M5 KOF’ cost me £50 and i sold it for almost 10 times that.

Car will be here either late tomorrow or friday morning :laughing:

a good plate is one that the police and cameras can’t read. A random set of letters is easier to forget or misread than the one that says “Ferrari” (or in Taiwan, Fararri) or “SUCKER”.

any other number plate is sheer VANITY man. you should be spending more time polishing your headers than your gear knob.

and if you still want to change your plate number, invest in a small tube of white paint and another of black paint.

[quote=“urodacus”]a good plate is one that the police and cameras can’t read. A random set of letters is easier to forget or misread than the one that says “Ferrari” (or in Taiwan, Fararri) or “SUCKER”. any other number plate is sheer VANITY man. you should be spending more time polishing your headers than your gear knob.
and if you still want to change your plate number, invest in a small tube of white paint and another of black paint.[/quote]

Its funny you mention that!.

just the other day i get a ticket for going into the faster (of 4 lanes) lane on my scooter… in the picture you can see that i am avoiding a bus pulling out, does that change anything???
nope…

On that same road (rosevelt rd) nearly every scooter goes in the fast lane anyway, so im wondering do they just wait for the loner scooter to skip over the line and then punish that one person or do they fine the hundreds of bikes that do it during rush hour?.

Anyway my wife was asking me if i can rig the plate to not be readable, i did some research and found out that they use very high definition cameras here and they can tell if you have fiddled with the plate with those, aprently the punishment is quite severe?.

Yes, but from next year the government are bringing in their own impossible to read number plates, so that they themselves can’t detect your numbers at night when using a flash. It was hilarious and even on the evening news. Didn’t you guys see that one?
They had already implemented the new plates with holographic images on them plan when some bloke with a couple of brain cells to rub together though it would be prudent to try taking a photo of one with a flash. Low and behold he discovered that they had created what everyone else in the world have been trying to do for years, but completely by accident.
The government are still going ahead with their plan to introduce the plates after spending many millions of NT in development and implementation procedures. Their only comment about what to do about them not being detectable at night? “We are hoping that we will have the technology to read them by the time they are introduced”. :bravo:

There was a trend for awhile among drifters in the states to get vanity plates that read something like

0O1IO10I or 1I1II11I or 0O0OO00O … you get the point…

Interesting that the government here basically did that for them in the traffic camera scenario. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, my current number plate says 3INCHS.

I DO want to change that one. I mean, that’s not something one should boast about, right?

Cant pick her up until tomorrow :raspberry:
Annoying as i have errands to run and its pissing it down with rain, so its looking like another expensive (money down the toilet) taxi day :doh:

Yes, but then would this thread even exist…? :ponder:

Because it costs almost nothing for a vanity plate… so why not?.
I got 4777- in the end

I made a interesting observation, they have a sales chart on the wall with pictures of all the yetis in their respective colour, this is their stock list. Anyway sold ones have yeti stickers placed over them and a quick glance says they have sold at least 50 of them.
Thats alot of cars for a import brand in Taiwan, especially when you realise its been on sale for about 2 weeks only.

So maybe i was wrong about the Taiwanese, they can recognise a good car when they see one :ponder:

They are just bringing out the 1.2tsi fabia next month for about 720k… i cant see how that car wont be all over the steets, safest car in its class, punchy turbo engine and a twin clutch gearbox with a warranty that exceeds the locally made jap cars.
I would of bought one myself if they brought in the estate version, saved myself 100k :doh: