Snakes!

Wow! supposedly they come out during the afternoon, not by night!

I recognised the type of snake from the first picture… careful with those angry leather belts!

3 Likes

Nice shots! In times of weird weather though, why is it ALWAYS a cobra? Its damn near the only snake i find in times of non searching for snakes haha!

2 Likes

Wait til you are on a plane… then it’s only angry cobra that wants to bite.

These were on an all nighter in Taitung county. Sea snakes seem like the only consistent species to be found 365 days a year :slight_smile: always satisfying. Feels a bit like cheating.

5 Likes

Can you do this with a cobra?

Nice! that’s something I’m yet to see. A sea krait on land! I have seen however sea snakes when diving by night, and that’s scary as fuck…

3 Likes

Ya ,find your spots. Pretty common at night. Find good tidal zones and coral/rock outcrops :wink: they all take a rest at some point. Egg laying as well. I wont post exact locations online, but lets just say a LOT of heavy foot traffic areas have them in fairly large numbers hehe. In my opinion ,they are the only easy to find snake species in taiwan.

No way. There are easier to spot species.

Name one species. 365 days a year you can 100% garauntee to see in the same spots without fail.

Only sea snakes. Its just how they live and rest. Other snakes here tend to move and rest in dfferent spots

Though, i am more than happy to be wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d have said great greens, wolf snakes and the other one that looks alike. But if you say you can find sea snakes all year round in the same spots I’ll have to move this conversation to PM’s :smiley:

Hehe. I would agree cobras, wolfs, banded kraits etc are more numerous in population (or we assume so, doubt anyone knows) ,but no where near as easily found due to…plants. the bane of every predator.

Sea snakes need to rest on land. Much of said land is fairly sparse in vegetation. Thus, easy as all hell to find :wink: island wide, there are spots where they feel its suitable to hang around.

1 Like

They just need a suitable aircraft to hide in.

Then they have all the passengers they can bite/eat.

So what was this?
Was on the side of the road, took a swipe at the scooter in front of me, and looked like he paid with its life for it :sob:.

1 Like

Looks like the Habu.

2 Likes

That was my first thought …
Always thought them to be more elusive, not just on the side of my YMS bike road … What a pity …

1 Like

Pity :frowning:

1 Like

It does. The pixelated variety.

2 Likes

So I was thinking a bit.
As far as I could see, this Habu was on the side of the road, in the shade, probably felt trapped by the scooter in front of me, attacked, got hit by the scooter fairing, and was killed by the impact.

However, if there was not that scooter, it should have been me on a bike 10 seconds later …
I am always aware of snakes crossing roads, but also know that in the shade, with all kind of road debris, and wearing sunglasses, its easy to miss them.

What if he had attacked me, bit me in the leg, what then practically to do next? Lay and relax and call emergency? Coast down the road to a police office or fire department? Keep pumping blood and climbing YMS?
I know the rules after snake bites, but practically its a bit different?
Any thoughts?

1 Like

Call emergency. Flag down a car. If there is a known police station etc downhill and close, by all means coast. Never make your heart pump faster (ie dont bike up hill). There is help fairly close by in most places, just dont be slow about getting there. Take apic identify it while waiting.

If cars wont stop. Lay bike down and lay on the ground in asafe spot. Someone will stop.

3 Likes

Saw this yesterday. Nature is both cruel and awesome.

https://imgur.com/a/AaJZTJV

2 Likes