Snow?

I know it’s Christmas and all but this snow on the screen is putting me off reading. Not a good extra.

Snow!! Ok, make the northern hemisphere folk feel at home. This year I will be celebrating in NZ where it is summer.

It is really distracting.

I like the snow, but where’s the eyeball?

I was just getting used to it.

Bring back the eyeball!

The snow is cute (if cliched) on the front page, but not everywhere, it interfers with avatars and smileys, and it’s making typing messages difficult too…
Booo to snow.

If you want to make it look more festive, how about my idea of replacing the smileys with those Santa smileys ?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]The snow is cute (if cliched) on the front page, but not everywhere, it’s making typing messages difficult too…
Booo to snow.

If you want to make it look more festive, how about my idea of replacing the smileys with those Santa smileys ?[/quote]

What happens when we remove the festive smileys?

I figured the snow would be a simple reminder of Santa (I suppose Santa down under sleds on sand at this time of year). I happen to come from a country where Christmas doesn’t have any snow either.

I got on a city bus (235) in Taipei last night and the bus driver was dressed up as Santa. No kidding. I wished I had a camera. Made me smile though. This is all we’re aiming for with the snow

If you have technical problems with the snow in place, please post here or drop a message to admin (at) forumosa.com

Don’t know about technical problems (apart from the irritating shivering cursor when typing) but the white dots are giving me a real headache – I feel like I’ll get a migraine if I stay too long, so if the snow doesn’t go, I guess I’ll have to. I know you’ll all miss me.

Using my scrollbar no longer leads me smoothly up and down the page. Instead, progress is slow and jerky.

Also, it makes a horizontal scrollbar appear and disappear in Opera. Bleah.

Aside from the technical aspects, the snow is just annoying and makes pages harder to read. On the home page, if you must – but, please, nowhere else.

[quote=“gus”]What happens when we remove the festive smileys?[/quote]No idea, what does happen ? Can’t be worse than this snow, What happens when it melts ?

my mon at work is so crappy i barely notice the snow… but i do notice the flickering cursor when posting. is that an effect of the snow?

[quote=“Kenny McCormick”]my mon at work is so crappy i barely notice the snow… but I do notice the flickering cursor when posting. is that an effect of the snow?[/quote]Yes, as are the broken avatars, smileys and icons.

Well, I’m reluctant to admit it but I’ve been living on this hot, crowded, dirty, polluted island far from home (wherever that is) for so long that I like the snow. . . for now. It reminds me of places much more festive and beautiful, of skiing and Christmas trees and holiday good cheer. Strange how a little static on the screen can trigger such good memories. :smiley: But I expect that after a while it may grow annoying.

How about letting it snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? That wouldn’t muck things up too much, and it would be festive…

Can you put eyeballs on the snowflakes?

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!
:smiley: :mrgreen:

OK, but can’t we at least make it realistic? Lets have brownish freezing slush all over everything, along with grey horizontal sleet. How about frozen pipes? Can we do that?

[quote=“sandman”]OK, but can’t we at least make it realistic? Lets have brownish freezing slush all over everything, along with grey horizontal sleet. How about frozen pipes? Can we do that?[/quote]And can we write our names in the snow ?

Using my scrollbar no longer leads me smoothly up and down the page. Instead, progress is slow and jerky.

Also, it makes a horizontal scrollbar appear and disappear in Opera. Bleah.

Aside from the technical aspects, the snow is just annoying and makes pages harder to read. On the home page, if you must – but, please, nowhere else.[/quote]

Agreed. Opera doesn’t like the snow. The page goes into spasms while tring to drag the scroll bar down.

Disabling javascript (hit F12 and then uncheck “Enable JavaScript”) will kill the snow. But this will also disable javascript on all other sites, which might use it to better effect.

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but I have noticed that I seem to have developed a bad case of dandruff. :shock:

Lose the snow - it’s really doing my head in. :frowning:

Agree, get rid of it. Funny on the main page, but not in the threads. Slows down and irritates while posting, and if you open several windows you are back in the stone age (9600bps modems).

And what’s up with that stupid “Post your own ad now” column which appears on the 2nd page of each thread? No good either.