So...Greta Thunberg is being manipulated?

I don’t know man, you got your ass spanked pretty good in that one . :sunglasses:

1 Like

Too cynical…She has brought a great spotlight back onto climate change.

And she’s right…This is an issue that affects her generation even more than ours.

As we know from the trade war, the US in particular can help move the dial.

Should she be visiting Asia and bringing the spotlight here too, absolutely.

2 Likes

Do you have an non electric scooter and car? Do you have kids? If yes then Greta is not your hero

Or take what she says as extremely urgent and dump your non electric vehicles immediately. Not tomorrow not next week but today

I don’t need her to be my hero, I also don’t need to hate her…It seems weird shitting on a teenager because she becomes famous and is fighting for a ‘good cause’.

Sound grouchy cynical people out there.

3 Likes

Not shitting on her. Feeling sorry for her

Why? She’s doing what she wants to be doing. She lives in a rich secure country and has supportive family .
No doubt she has a very interesting life ahead of her…Remember she started this school strike stuff herself , she’s obviously driven.

I honestly didn’t even look at any speeches from her till yesterday. Then I saw the way the Fox news network claim this giant conspiracy around her.
Ridiculous stuff.

Climate change is a big fucking problem, in fact now it’s happening at a rate much faster than was predicted.

2 Likes

Also for folks who say that she should be moaning about Asia first, Americans have something like ten times the carbon emissions per person than Indians.

So yeah China and India are a big deal but so is the US.

2 Likes

Or is it because you can save a few bucks not buying a Tesla and Gogoro? Do you shop with same recyclable bag every time? Do you take your own cup to coffee shop? I could go on but point is the world and industry are making huge strides we don’t need scowling Greta. We need business to innovate and get into China India Indonesia etc…bill gates Elon musk types

1 Like

Bilk Gates sanitation program depends on govts and society backing it. He spent 200 million on it so far…If it doesn’t get taken up by cities and national govt programs it probably won’t go anywhere.

Musk’s electric vehicles enjoyed and often still enjoy massive subsidies, for sales and also in terms of tax rebates on investments .

You need policy support as much or more so than innovation .

1 Like

That’s pretty fucking comical.
More signficantly, does she feel sorry for you??

2 Likes

Old Rocket once again into the fray

1 Like

I think the concern for many stems from facts like this. It’s from wiki, so take it as you will.

Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was 8 years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it.[12] Three years later she became depressed and lethargic, stopped talking and eating, and was eventually diagnosed with Asperger syndrome,[13] obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD),[13] and selective mutism.[13][14] While acknowledging that her diagnosis “has limited me before”, she does not view her Asperger’s as an illness and has instead called it her “superpower”.[14]

Do we really want to scare 11 year olds to the point they become sick and ill from depression and suffer eating disorders. Would you rather adults assured children their future was bright, that the adults in the room care for them and want to protect them, encourage them to be all they can be.

Or act like panicked chickens with their heads cut off, preach about gloom and doom scenarios and speculation how the world will end in 5 minutes time and how adults are selfish and not to be trusted? Even there is some truth in the latter, it’s not a problem that should be put on the shoulders of 8 year olds, there is nothing they can do about it, for those who seem to think this is a good idea, I just don’t understand what positive it is thought will come from this.

1 Like

It seems she’s 16 years old and doing quite a lot now.

1 Like

Sounds a little similar to Bill Gates when he was younger . As his sister was quoted as saying 'he would sit at home chewing on pencils ’ :grin:.

Look at what he achieved.

1 Like

No she’s not, except making some tv time and some talking points getting 5 minutes in the media. She really doesn’t know about anything, is not in a place to advocate anything, except everyone should be really paying attention to what scientists say.

If anything her presence deepens the distrust and widens the gap by further politicizing the issue. Do you think David Hogg convinced a single person that already believed in the second amendment and their right to bare arms was misguided? No they see a kid pushed into the limelight and used for political purposes by adults who should know better.

3 Likes

If you want them to vote for you when they reach voting age then yes, and make sure to very clearly side with them as the sole savior of the world-ending issue of the month.

“Vote for me or the world will end within this arbitrary time frame” is the new:“Vote for me if you want free stuff”. Not really new, since between global freezing, global warming, hole in the ozone layer, climate change etc. we’ve seen this coming up every decade or so.
I’m wondering whether next decade’s world ending crisis will be related to the sun activity, or new seismic discoveries.

On a positive note we definitely have several posters on here who are going immediately to get electric scooter and/or car. Progress! Greta would approve

P.S. please send pics :smile:

Really only 5 mins…I’ve seen her on TV a lot more than that.
She’s brought attention back to the climate change debate and instigated massive school strikes across the world, thus raising consciousness about climate change amongst the young.

What have YOU done with your life? Have you spoken at the UN, instigated global strikes or sailed across the Atlantic. Thought not. :grin:

1 Like

Fun fact: I think she’s a manipulated fraud and I do have an electric scooter, a bicycle and no car.

Really activates your almonds…