So... how do you do it? (read: taiwanese girlfriends? really?)

Oh how time flies by. Three months passed and alas I am girlfriendless, still. How oh how. Seriously. How do you find yourself a girlfriend around here, when you don’t know the language or if you’re not into chinese english teachers? It is starting to get to me. Any ideas?

Dating your Chinese Teacher is a big nono… wouldn’t it be hard to balance work and play?

You’ve never heard of Vibe?
If you don’t like meat markets, just try the old language exchange routine. Never fails.

Not if she works at another school. Maybe you can arrange an “exchange program” with a friend working at another school. If you were in Tainan I’d know several nice ladies currently boyfriendless that are unfortunately off the market for me (don’t get your meat at the same place you get your bread).

Don’t bother. Find a nice foreign lass.

It isn’t hard. Don’t go out in a pack.

They will come, oh yes, they will come. Then you’ll wish they’d go away.

You could even marry one… oops, I did.

I don’t know how to find girls actually, every girl I have ever met in Taiwan has come to me. It kinda takes all the thrill out of the hunt. :smiling_imp: But, now that I am married it’s like I have a sign over my head that says married and they don’t come aroung anymore. Maybe I should put the kid down. :wink:

what kind of girls are you looking for

slutty girls? - go to clubs / bars (the so called meat market)
school girls? - well, school, language school, bookstores…
religious girls? - Church, temple…
easy girls? - oh, tons of them in TW :wink: just show them your american / canadian passports… (JK)

[quote=“MiakaW”]what kind of girls are you looking for

slutty girls? - go to clubs / bars (the so called meat market)
school girls? - well, school, language school, bookstores…
religious girls? - Church, temple…
easy girls? - oh, tons of them in TW :wink: just show them your American / Canadian passports… (JK)[/quote]
So where would we find you? :laughing:

Not if she works at another school. Maybe you can arrange an “exchange program” with a friend working at another school. If you were in Tainan I’d know several nice ladies currently boyfriendless that are unfortunately off the market for me (don’t get your meat at the same place you get your bread).[/quote]

Yip, although I like the phrase “don’t dip your pen in the company ink.”

Chewy

religious girls…temple??? hmm now there’s an angle i havent tried…so if i sit in a corner with some prayer beads i’m like guaranteed some taoist totty?

Well, none approached me so far, maybe it means something. Hmm.
Seriously, they just approach you? I swear I shower every day.
:?

[quote=“MichaelG”]Well, none approached me so far, maybe it means something. Hmm.
Seriously, they just approach you? I swear I shower every day.
:?[/quote]

tealit.com/
do the language exchange

My advice is not to think about meeting women. Focus on building a great life. Building a great life, fortunately, is an endless process. You’ll meet some fantastic people along the way, and it won’t be forced. It will come naturally.

Good luck.

step one: get off the computer
step two: shower
step three: wear something nice (not like what the locals wear, and i mean you should wear shoes too)
step four: go outside

thats all there is to it

[quote=“Da_Bian”]step one: get off the computer
step two: shower
step three: wear something nice (not like what the locals wear, and I mean you should wear shoes too)
step four: go outside
thats all there is to it[/quote]

Age and physical shape will matter . . . but not significantly . . . certainly not as long as you have a reasonably gentle or humorous personality, are basically an okay guy to be around, and don’t come off as a tactless idiot child from hell.

In your posts, you don’t give us an indication of what age or type of girl you’re interested in meeting or what you’ve done to not meet girls.

What is your current strategy that is not working? What are you doing right now that gets you ton of nada? Stop doing that! Do something else! Anything else! Keep doing new things until you find something that actually works.

You do NOT need to be fluent in Chinese - although it certainly helps as not speaking the language does limit the pool of girls you can associate with but even then it’s a pretty big pond. You do NOT have to be an English teacher meeting English teachers. You do NOT have to go to sleazy bars - unless that’s something you enjoy doing anyway.

Be clean, dress reasonably nice (not fancy shmancy but clean and tidy), be nice . . . not creepy . . . smile (genuine, not creepy fake) . . . go out (alone but don’t come off as desperate or you’ll frighten folks off before they can find out how nice you are) . . . see a girl who seems nice and TALK TO HER!

Another route that is very common for men and women in Taiwan - particularly since so many never learn the first thing about how to flirt or meet new people on their own - is to meet someone through a friend. If you’ve a good friend who actually likes you who could help you meet someone, then let them know you’re looking . . . albeit, they will try to set you up with a potential girlfriend . . . they won’t pimp for you so don’t come off as creepy sex-starved-foreign-guy who can’t get laid on his own.

You know, a lot of people seem to make a big deal about meeting new folks . . . as if it’s hard. It isn’t. Stop investing too much energy into the NEED to find someone and just take chances and talk to new people. Smile and have eye contact with at least four new people every day - even if you don’t talk to them - just to feel good about yourself and to make them feel good. If you see someone who seems she might be a potential friend or more then TALK TO HER and just say “hi” or whatever. If she freaks out and runs away, review your approach and stop coming off as creepy-dude. If she’s just polite and doesn’t seem interested, then let it go . . . there are always new people to meet . . . always . . . if she is interested and just needed you to say “hi” to get things rolling then you’re on the way . . . stop fretting about it and just do it.

When someone tells me that it’s so hard to meet someone new, I tell them about Ugly George. Back in the day, Ugly George had a cable show on New York City’s cablesystem . . . it was called “Ugly George’s Hour of Truth, Sex, and Violence” . . . he would walk around New York with a camcorder on his back - this was when a camcorder was huge and you needed a massive portable battery pack in a backpack on your back to get any power (I was working in TV at the time and remember lugging those beasties) . . . well, with this monstrosity on his back, Ugly George would walk up to random women and ask to see their breasts - really, he would say tits - most women would say no and many would shout and chase or hit him (the truth and violence of the show’s title). For a feature, Playboy followed Ugly George around and they did the numbers on his success rate. They found that one of every ten women Ugly George approached would show her breasts. Once a woman showed her breasts, Ugly George would ask to have sex with her on camera. Most would get pissed and the like but one of ten of them would do it - on camera with this weird ugly little man. That’s a success rate of one in ten of one in ten or one in one hundred women approached. Ugly George would get laid once for every one hundred women he approached. Ugly George got rejected A LOT, but . . . he also got laid A LOT more than most men will ever get laid. Why? Because he didn’t worry about the rejections. He would just take his big ass camcorder to down the street and ask another girl.

You probably aren’t ugly at least not like Ugly George . . . and if you are, you’re not some little guy with a huge monster camcorder on your back . . . and you’re not just looking to get laid . . . otherwise you would not have asked about a “girlfriend” . . . so, your success rate should be a LOT higher than Ugly George’s . . . so, stop doing whatever doesn’t work and get your ass out on the street actually talking to girls. Even if your success rate were to be as low as Ugly George’s with that one-in-one-hundred shot . . . and it can’t be . . . you only need to have one girl say yes to make it all worthwhile.

BTW, I do not reccommend running around the streets of Taipei with a camcorder asking girls to pop their tops. It’s an easy way to land your butt in deportation city. However, if you are stupid enough to do it . . . let us know the URL for the footage. :wink:

I knew a guy who used to do something similar. He’d walk up to girls in bars and say “I love you”. He’d get rejections byt the bucketful but just once in a while he’d get lucky.
Mind you they were always butt ugly, but with the lights out and a few beers inside you…

Go down to the South of Taiwan plenty of nice young ladies there. They tend to be more down to earth than Taipei girls. Basically go out and have fun. People don’t like to be with people who are grumpy and moody.

very interesting stories those…but i think in all honesty not everyone is thick-skinned enough to adopt that line of attack…plus it tends to come across (and rightly) as very shallow a la tom cruise in magnolia or shallow hal etc etc…you might get some dizzy bint back to your abode but you’ll prolly scare off any potential soulmates

The best action is in supermarkets…I shit you not.

right lads im off to welcome…should i use the recently widowed routine?