So, I'm not a white teacher!

[quote=“Ramblin Rube”]The school I teach in has hired black as in coal black miners from Kentucky teachers, black as in coffee with cream from Mississippi, ABC, CBC, a CBO Argentine who spoke perfect English, Spanish, Taiwanese and Mandarin. He got the job because of what he had on the stick. Not because of his slanted eyes and yellow skin. So to all the whiners, and they do who up here from time to time, Yes, race can be a problem here in Taiwan, espcially if you are not Han Chinese.

I am sure that if a black ESL teacher from America or Canada were to go to Somalia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, or Ivory Coast he just might find more than a little bit of antagonism.

So, there are plenty of jobs in Taiwan, and quite frankly it becomes boring to read all these post every two months or so about people who whine about how purple, mauve, chartreuse, indigo, sienna, cotton white, or Michelin black folks just can’t find a job.

Quit whining and do your homework. Many have done it and so can you.[/quote]

I’m one of those people who complained back in the day. I spent nearly 6 months looking for a job in Taiwan, despite coming to the table with a degree in linguistics specializing in TESOL, a year of prior ESL teaching experience, and a year of Mandarin under my belt. Generally, my applications would go like this: I’d reply to a job online with a professional resume outlining all the things I had done, including all the experiences I had working with children through volunteer programs, and a nice cover letter. Then I’d get a response that I was exactly what they were looking for and could I please send in my photo. So I’d send in my photo and I’d either hear “Oops, sorry, the position is taken.” (and see the same position appearing in new ads) or nothing. Only once was someone honest enough to say something along the lines of, “Our parents prefer white people.”

Many others do do it, you’re right. But there are still too many who can’t and have to go home empty handed after spending their time here getting doors slammed in their faces.