So, is it better to live in Taiwan or Britain?

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]

Anyway enough of this I really just wanted to call BCup on her assertion that the UK is safe - bollocks. I left the UK because I was fed up with getting my car broken into (even a rental), mugged and avoiding fights at closing time.
[/quote]

I’ve experienced ‘racism’ all over Asia, as a white person. To generalise, the population of any country has a significant proportion of people who simply don’t want immigrants, legal or illegal, tourists, students, expats, anyone. And in a country with a high tax burden, where all are legally entitled to free schooling and healthcare, people resent the financial burden, whether you see this as correct or incorrect. There’s plenty of resentment against foreigners in Taiwan, when the majority of ‘westerners’ are college educated and pay more tax than locals, and have very few rights. Imagine how that would play out in Taiwan, when you see those ‘benefit scroungers’ you see in England, and they aren’t even British, don’t speak and English, etc, etc. A lot of racism comes from the perception that immigrants in Britain have a lot of rights, but few responsibilities.

[/quote]

There are no groups in Taiwan that even come close to Combat 18 in the UK or Aryan Nations in USA. Combat 18 go out of their way to kill non whites.
There are racist attacks in Taiwan but not organized groups that wish to kill white folks. Racism exists in both places but if you compare Taiwanese on white violence in Taiwan to right wing white extremist violence on Asians in Uk they don’t compare AT ALL.

So far I haven’t seen any news reports of Taiwanese bus drivers making hand grenades and bombs to kill whites. But there are white wing extremists numbering in the hundreds in the UK that will carry out those attack on any non whites, gays or feminists

I have not suffered racism in Taiwan apart from the stupid stuff about big noses etc.
In fact I feel there is almost a reverse racism in treating whites better than their own people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8266933.stm[/quote]

Ding Ding Ding! Finally someone understands how it works.

I would say in most parts of Asia, it is a case of reverse racism. You are White you are thought of as higher class, rich, etc. That is how it works for the majority. There is a loony minority who will be racist but most of the time it is reverse racism.

I have once tried to teach English in China. I was told your English is perfect but you are Chinese, we want White people. They seem to think only caucasians speak English. They went on to hire a French guy who has the English standards of a Primary school kid here. Of course, I later received a few job offers but reverse racism does happen. Ask any BBC or ABC trying to teach English in China, you will know that stuff like that happens quite often.

It sucks.

You are White you are thought of as higher class, rich, etc. That is how it works for the majority.

:laughing: Stereotypes-R-Us! Have you been to Taiwan? that’s not what people think. :roflmao:

Complete rubbish. God knows what people treat you like if they actually hate you, then.

Huh? Not in my experience. You are white, you are a performing monkey. An economic migrant who couldn’t hack it in your own country and come to Asia to be long-haired, take drugs and debauch our pristine and perfect young ladies. THAT is how it works for the majority.

What kind of sappy moron wants to teach English anyway?

I am telling you the truth. Whether you choose to accept it or not, it is up to you… :smiley: Red pill or blue pill…

As usual, the correct answer is somewhere between the extreme views. The average Taiwanese does not think of foreigners as singing dancing clown, nor as rich high class beings. I suppose there are quite a few buxiban owners who think the former, and simple people from traditional industries that think the latter. But the truth is much more complicated.

Yup, we’re all bend under all the weight of this true troof this cat’s layin on us. :popcorn:

[quote=“Buttercup”]You are White you are thought of as higher class, rich, etc. That is how it works for the majority.

:laughing: Stereotypes-R-Us! Have you been to Taiwan? that’s not what people think. :roflmao:

Complete rubbish. God knows what people treat you like if they actually hate you, then.[/quote]

I am 100% Chinese and Asian. I know how people think. I have been to Taiwan before as well. It is the truth

So does nearly everyone else on forumosa.

You don’t have any special insight. Unless you concede that my being an Anglo-Saxon Celt gives me more knowledge about the UK and Europe than you? Give it up; logic, debate and even cause and effect aren’t really your strong points. :laughing:

Many think we are people who can very easily be completely ignored.

They care not a smidgen what we think and are in fact offended if we appear to think anything at all.

Everything here is OK here until we try to “assert” anything.

That is the form racism takes here. It isn’t violent, but it is torture.

[quote=“Buttercup”]So does nearly everyone else on forumosa.

You don’t have any special insight. Unless you concede that my being an Anglo-Saxon Celt gives me more knowledge about the UK and Europe than you? Give it up; logic, debate and even cause and effect aren’t really your strong points. :laughing:[/quote]

Everyone on forumosa is Chinese, speaks Chinese and have lived in Asia for decades?

You don’t know what you are talking about. You are not ready for the red pill.

No. ‘nearly’ being the key word for any non-readers. A very large proportion speak Chinese and have lived in Asia for decades. Quite a few can tick all three.

Anyway, my point was: if racial background and location make you an expert, why do you contradict me about Europe? Surely my background means I know everything about my continent? No?

What is the truth, that you are 100% Chinese and Asian, that you know how people (all people?) think, that you have been to Taiwan before (how long?) that Taiwanese think that white people are rich, or all of the above (parenthetical elements exculded naturally as they require new information beyond the “what” mentioned at the beginning of this, admittedly somewhat complex, question)?

Thank you.

What is the truth, that you are 100% Chinese and Asian, that you know how people (all people?) think, that you have been to Taiwan before (how long?) that Taiwanese think that white people are rich, or all of the above (parenthetical elements exculded naturally as they require new information beyond the “what” mentioned at the beginning of this, admittedly somewhat complex, question)?

Thank you.[/quote]

If you don’t believe in the reverse racism thing then forget it, think the way you want, it doesn’t concern me at all.

Just that … if it existed, some of the white westerners, or people of other ethnicities, or Taiwanese folk here might corroborate your silliness. You think?

wait i think i lost the plot here.

It’s B being gobby, some kid talking kaka, and bob being a bit random … Biz as usual.

I know it’s not the title, but this thread hit it’s inevitable derailment already so I’ll go ahead and compare Taiwan to Canadaland.

I love my home country and all, but everything considered I think it’s an overrated place to live. Horrible winters, high cost of living in the cities, and a pretty boring (predictable) way of life. What you get there basically is cleanliness, drinkable water, safeness, and nice, but ultimately expensive restaurants. I dunno…the way of life there just bores me…everyone working to keep up, blah blah blah.

If your situation in Taiwan is right for you (good job, place to live, circle of friends), then it’s definitely better. All I really feel like I’ve giving up here is cleanliness/order (sometimes losing the latter isn’t so bad), enjoyable, social nightlife, and food selection/convenience (though I eat better and healthier than I ever did in Canada…but my GF mostly takes credit I guess).

It’s what I can do here that I love. I can work half the hours I did in Canada and still make 10X my rent. I can buy anything I really want with what I make. I have precious, precious time to pursue 2nd and even 3rd avenues of revenue, or take up hobbies, or just do nothing. I can buy a beer and a decent rice/curry chicken box at 7-11. I can go outside without needing a crystal ball to determine the weather, and I can always go jogging in shorts here in the south. And I can feel absolutely safe in any city at any time (on the sidewalk), and get cheap healthcare.

I tend to rip on all places and people, but all in all, one can have a lot of freedom here to do what one wants, and that’s very important to me. I wouldn’t mind moving back to Canada at some point, but only if it meant not rat-racing it.

Who are you mocking this time?