So, is it better to live in Taiwan or Britain?

Britain has shit trains. :frowning:

[quote=“tomthorne”]It’ll be interesting to see how this thread gets split.

“So, are British people tossers or not?”[/quote]

“Are British people tossers or what?” sounds good to me.

hey, don’t look at me like that: I was born in Chiswick. (yeah, I know, explains a lot).

I knew you were a pom. I could smell ya.

HG

There would not be nine pages of debate on that question!

Shit. Outed meself. Anyway, you can’t smell me: I’m downwind, AND I had a bath this Christmas.

Actually a dual national, and thank fook for the best of both worlds. Of course, being born there doesn’t mean I hold any allegiance to it. More than to China, though.

Note to self: delete said posts when more sober.

More passports = good. Less passports, or travel options = bad.

HG

Yes it is quite simple really.

Down South, they speak English that you can understand. As you go further up North, their English becomes intelligible. So lets say you meet a lad and you can understand 90% of what he says, then he is from England. You meet another lad and you can understand 20% of what he says, he is from Scotland. Anywhere in between, he is from Wales.

Just kidding.

Really? Where would you place me if you saw me.

I am Chinese yet I am speaking RP English (Which I am faking). I am wearing a T-shirt with an Australian flag and a watch which screams “made in China”.

Really? Where would you place me if you saw me.

You’re supposed to donate your brain to science after you die …

Down South, they speak English that you can understand. As you go further up North, their English becomes intelligible. So lets say you meet a lad and you can understand 90% of what he says, then he is from England. You meet another lad and you can understand 20% of what he says, he is from Scotland. Anywhere in between, he is from Wales.

That’s because you aren’t British.

Totally, if you were British you would understand ALL UK Accents. And if you have an IQ higher than about… 80, you can place 90% of them accurately.

It comes from watching TV :sunglasses:

[quote]Really? Where would you place me if you saw me.

I am Chinese yet I am speaking RP English (Which I am faking). I am wearing a T-shirt with an Australian flag and a watch which screams “made in China”.[/quote]

Funny thing but as a child of the nineties, we didn’t really notice the colour differences at school. I had a good friend called Niro in middle school, and a mate called Vuong in primary school, and only realised one was Indian and the other Viet way after high school. (This could be because I was working class in England though - my cousins (very ‘well-to-do’) notice it immediately.)

I doubt people could tell the area where you’re from unless you’re white. Bone structures are subtlely different across the country (think about it… you know they are…). Migrants (including North-South migrants and white Europeans) stuff the system right up. (Kinda like how you can tell what part of China (roughly) people are from by looking at them, but there’s no way in hell you can do that in Taiwan.)

If you did the RP accent well, though, my generation would just think you’re a tosser :sunglasses:

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”] Totally, if you were British you would understand ALL UK Accents. And if you have an IQ higher than about… 80, you can place 90% of them accurately.

It comes from watching TV :sunglasses:
[/quote]

Yeah I was just kidding. I can understand most of the accents as well having stayed there for a little over 4 years. Unless they start speaking in Scots or Welsh.

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]
If you did the RP accent well, though, my generation would just think you’re a tosser :sunglasses:[/quote]

I can actually do RP quite well back then as I was obsessed with mastering it for 4 years. Since I was in the UK I figured I might as well learn it. I don’t do it as well these days but still well enough to throw a lot of people off.

If you want to appreciate Taipei look at if from the river.

Start at the sewage treatment plant (not kidding) in Bali and peddle your ass around on the bike trails up and around the overflow channel between sanchong and whatever that place is, up to the dahan, cross the dahan, back down to the xindian, up the xindian to xindian, down the xindian to jingmei, up the jingmei, down the jingmei down to the Danshui, down the danshui to the jilong, up the jilong, down the jilong, up the shuangxi and huang xi, back down to the danshui and down to danshui. Take the boat across to bali in the evening.

Then come back and talk about the city. In a CITY? Absolutely freaking awesome.

(do it in nice weather, please)

RP isn’t an authentic accent, anymore. It’s morphed into a Thames estuary group of accents.

Interestingly, regional accents in Britain are becoming more marked, contrary to linguists’ predictions.

[quote=“blueeee11”]
Really? Where would you place me if you saw me. [/quote]

In solitary? Maybe throw in an old baseball if you’re lucky.

Wow long ass thread, i only so far read the first page. But I can interject something, just to interject something:

Taiwan is probably slightly better for Taiwanese and Great Britain slightly better for Great Britanese.

There.

( now where is my "tommy-shut the fcuk up? " )

Riiiigggght here, tommy. :wink:

Can’t decide whether that statement is really profound, or an example of the blinding bloody obvious! :laughing:

[quote=“Buttercup”]Riiiigggght here, tommy. :wink:

Can’t decide whether that statement is really profound, or an example of the blinding bloody obvious! :laughing:[/quote]

Sometimes the blinding bloody obvious IS profound.

I like the country life in England more than Taiwan.The English countryside is fantastic and I miss that.
In Taiwan I prefer the health system and low taxation.
ah the list of good and bad things from each country could go on and on and on

I like some things from both and it is difficult to compare them as they are so very very different. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Edgar Allen”]

Anyway enough of this I really just wanted to call BCup on her assertion that the UK is safe - bollocks. I left the UK because I was fed up with getting my car broken into (even a rental), mugged and avoiding fights at closing time.
[/quote]

I’ve experienced ‘racism’ all over Asia, as a white person. To generalise, the population of any country has a significant proportion of people who simply don’t want immigrants, legal or illegal, tourists, students, expats, anyone. And in a country with a high tax burden, where all are legally entitled to free schooling and healthcare, people resent the financial burden, whether you see this as correct or incorrect. There’s plenty of resentment against foreigners in Taiwan, when the majority of ‘westerners’ are college educated and pay more tax than locals, and have very few rights. Imagine how that would play out in Taiwan, when you see those ‘benefit scroungers’ you see in England, and they aren’t even British, don’t speak and English, etc, etc. A lot of racism comes from the perception that immigrants in Britain have a lot of rights, but few responsibilities.

[/quote]

There are no groups in Taiwan that even come close to Combat 18 in the UK or Aryan Nations in USA. Combat 18 go out of their way to kill non whites.
There are racist attacks in Taiwan but not organized groups that wish to kill white folks. Racism exists in both places but if you compare Taiwanese on white violence in Taiwan to right wing white extremist violence on Asians in Uk they don’t compare AT ALL.

So far I haven’t seen any news reports of Taiwanese bus drivers making hand grenades and bombs to kill whites. But there are white wing extremists numbering in the hundreds in the UK that will carry out those attack on any non whites, gays or feminists

I have not suffered racism in Taiwan apart from the stupid stuff about big noses etc. In fact I feel there is almost a reverse racism in treating whites better than their own people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8266933.stm

No.

But like you point out. If there were substantial numbers of whites in Taiwan getting benefits and council houses then there may well be a more extreme reaction. Taiwanese C18. Who knows mmmm :ponder: Interesting points but rather non PC