So why are you still in Taiwan?

[quote=“tash”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“tash”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“tash”]

I also think that that is the reason we don’t hear from the poster who first called binlan chewing retarded. He has nothing to say.[/quote]Or maybe he’s just not into discussing semantics, or having to explain subjective connotations in a thread about “why are you still in Taiwan.”

marboulette[/quote]
Instead of a weak copout, you could have used the same number of words and time spent to just answer the simple question: “Why is chewing binlan retarded?”[/quote]

I thought Tinman and Buzzardo had done a pretty good job explaining that already. “Retarded” as in not literally, is just an expression to say that chewing binlang is not a sane or healthy thing to do. Happy now?

marboulette[/quote]
You’ve managed to top your previous weak copout with an even weaker one. Now you’re just making me laugh :laughing:

If you don’t know how to explain your own statement and prefer to use statements of others to get out of it, that’s fine. We can stop this right here. I’m happy with the amusement I got out of it.[/quote]

Tash, I think it was some other dude (not this Marlboro guy that you’re currently bickering with) who called betelnut chewers retards. And why can’t a guy call people retards anyway? He’s obviously suffering from a bout of Taiwan angst. We’ve all been there. Are you going PC on us now too?

[quote=“Erhu”]
Tash, I think it was some other dude (not this Marlboro guy that you’re currently bickering with) who called betelnut chewers retards. And why can’t a guy call people retards anyway? He’s obviously suffering from a bout of Taiwan angst. We’ve all been there. Are you going PC on us now too?[/quote]
WTF! Marlboro called his mommy to fight for him? :laughing:

Erhu, you should talk, you once scorned me for driving the wrong way down a one-way street!
You also often taught me to see beauty in people and thigns. That’s how I came to love beatelnut beauties and by extension beatelnut chewers as well. Now you’re telling me that was all bs? Where will I find meaning of life now?

[quote=“tash”]
to get out of it[/quote]To get out of what?

[quote=“tash”]…fight…[/quote]Huh?

marboulette

tash and erhu pretend to be irate with each other. tash admits to a putative love of binlang puppets and addicts, then baits erhu with the ultimate question. The mysterious marboulette mistakenly senses a virtual tiff and cantilevers the characters. Soon BCup will defend erhu’s right to have a virtual tiff with tash. n-dimensional sisterhood. flob gives me clues about how women play. They are masters at this by age 18, when guys are still thinking about first-person-shooters and power-to-weight ratios. Marriage would never work unless there was something else, that secret sauce called love. Yes folks, love (or the hope thereof) can keep you in Taiwan against your better judgment. What is judgment when confronted with love? Powerless. A single passion that obscures all reason.

[quote=“tash”]

If you don’t know how to explain your own statement and prefer to use statements of others to get out of it, that’s fine. We can stop this right here. I’m happy with the amusement I got out of it.[/quote]How many different answers do you need for the same retarded question?

T.

Some interesting thoughts. I went to a girls’ school. I roold the skool. I don’t understand men, at all. And now I’m in my 30s, I don’t much care… Slash and burn for those veggies.

Bcup, Erhu and tash heart eachother irl. Erhu is not a native speaker, so she has to ask tash for help with her English sometimes. These gurls are the last word. Erhu is cool, sassy, funny as hell. tash is happy, perceptive, full of life. They are both unbelievably clever and great to hang out with. I try to channel my inner Erhu or tash when I disappoint myself. I miss 'em both a lot…

Sounds like situational ethics, to my mind.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
I’m usually the same way with the ‘fairer’ sex…
And as for the dogs, it’s all about…
well, i’d hardly give it away so easy,
that would be the thin edge of the wedge…

My ethics are totally situational in that I do exactly what I feel like doing at any given point in time.

I miss taiwan terribly.
The grass isn’t greener on the North American side of the fence. It is however, heavily taxed.

[quote=“bushibanned”]I miss taiwan terribly.
The grass isn’t greener on the North American side of the fence. It is however, heavily taxed.[/quote]

In that case, come back!

bushibanned, when you feel that ache, take the ferry over to Hongcouver for the weekend. The food will be closer to Ilha F.

More like psychic ethics, in the case of sisterhood (hearthood?)

Kending, then.
Thin edge

To complain is one kind of ways of life. That’s why we greet, fight, give praise and of course, complain of something. Consequently, to leave is not the only way out when people complain about a place. To complain(even rudely) and to stay is not a controdiction.

Back to original topic.

After spending a year in Taiwan, I decided to stay for a bit longer. I found that I was good at teaching English(based on the reaction of my previous employer), I made a few great friends, the lifestyle was much easier and laid back than life in USA, the financial security is great and I get to travel all over asia and really I LOVE Taiwanese food-i’m a strange foreigner I guess.

However, in terms of staying in Taiwan for much longer I guess I have had some bad luck. I have been kinda screwed job wise in that I found out that I’m not the best teacher (according to what new employers say-I got fired from one job) and I’m making only a little more than I did when I first started as a fresh new teacher, and it seems getting and finding a new job is quite difficult. I still find it odd and appalling when I see these newbie foreigners who have fake degrees get better jobs teaching than me even though I’m an experienced teacher who graduated from one of the top universities in USA with a few years of Chinese language study(sorry ranting). Consequently, the financial security and ability to travel around asia is starting to slip away. Friends are great of course but then again many leave.

So really I gotta get back to USA. I’ve had my fill of asia and Taiwan. Only problem is what the hell I’m gonna do when I get back as my only work experience is teaching english here-any advice?

Teach English there?

Seriously, ESL continues to be a big growth market in the west.