So Why Did You Come to Taiwan?

You live in Taiwan. A day, a month, a year, 5 years, 10, the question will come up why did you come here? It’s some how the most profound thing a Chinese can ever say to you. After 10 years you think about it—after a year you can only explain it. I don’t have any further insights on why to add to adventure. I mean there is a girl in the mix, a back story but over riding all that is a profound sense of escapism–my own personal believe it or not.

Though if you were to ask me how I came to Taiwan, I’d give you a different more concrete story one of bars, waiting, a scrounged together means. I didn’t arrive on a Fulbright scholarship for example. Mine was more of a personal hunch and launch. Somewhere between fuck it why not and fuck it.

Not brilliant. Not explicable.

So I’m working as a waiter at Tony Sassi’s. Tony is the former owner of Sassi’s-- Melbourne’s premier Italian eatery. He’s divorced his wife and the settlement requires he sell Sassi’s and set himself up else where. He moves 300 meters around the corner and opens a bar—restaurant. It’s small, intimate, something more akin to his dream. It’s an open Italian bar and grill, but it is not selling your standard Italian fair, this is lemon spatch cock, lime cooked octopus and peas, spit roast garlic infused leg of lamb plus an Italian sausage grill. It’s the menu that made Sassi’s famous. But the grill is open and Sassi stands behind it good naturedly insulting the customers as they file in, addicted to his exquisite food.

I get the job as a waiter through somewhat obtuse but understandable circumstance – a bouncer at Young and Jackson’s hotel. Former security at Sassis and supplier of Tony’s dope needs and my own. Mutual friends.

Tony is naturally wary but remotely attracted to the idea of a male waiter. He’d like someone who could close up on a Friday night. That honor, however, is going to take time. I’d have to earn it. I didn’t particularly care but I soon realized that Tony was attracting a clientele Young and Jackson’s could only dream about. That’s not to say Young and Jackson’s couldn’t bring them in. It could. It was an iconic hotel. A place where sports stars and politicians would front up to the bar to drink, but not eat.

Tony’s was where they went to be sophisticates. Remembering names and orders meant tips. That much I quickly garnered. So I played the role of Tony’s affable side-kick for six months. He’d berate the Aussie country hick to the amusement of all and sundry, and they’d laugh at the fool. And tip. The more laughs Tony could raise, the greater my humiliation, the more money I made. We’d worked out a routine of sorts. Tony had never encountered tougher skin. The hide of a rhino was his description of me at the Sunday get-togethers he had as a staff meal. Every Sunday. That was a party. They say of travelers there is no place like where the homeless meet, but I’d say there is no place like where bar staff and restaurant types meet. Stories reach to the ceiling and laughs are belly felt.

Tony and my favorite routine was for him to insult some wanna be and me to get the order right, explain away Tony’s flirtations to the potential cuckold, and perform some kind of rectification where I’d start singing the order, “Well have one minestrone, and we’ll have two cannelloni, we’ll have one ravioli and a lot of Tony’s belloni.”

It got to the point where people would request it at every one of Tony’s slights. He didn’t care of course; we were on the same path. So he’d ridicule me and in the same spirit across the table I’d fire back, on behalf of all that had suffered Tony’s crap, my own half assed attempt at coping with Tony. Most often the crowd loved it and Tony and I would split a Parmesan and sun-dried tomato pizza and a few beers with the other wait staff and kitchen hands at the end of the night. Love was what he had going.

Then one night Tony asked me to close up.

I was his fool. The world at large, from Victoria’s State Premier to the Australian cricket captain, they’d all had a laugh at my expense. I had to toss them all out and count the till. It occurred to me that Tony probably had never checked behind the till tray. It was a likely place for 50- and 20-dollar bills to get caught. It was a thing about tills that the 50’s holder in the tray got cleaned out less frequently than the 20’s, 10’s and 5’s. It was a simple practical matter. But when the 50’s holder was full the top note could easily get caught in the mechanism and slip behind the tray. It was standard practice at Young and Jackson’s to check behind the till tray every night. So I pulled the tray out and reached in and felt a thick layer of notes that for three years had been pounded tight against the back of the till. There was three thousand dollars over the night’s takings in my hand. I could go now. My adventure had been paid for, but the fool in me handed it over to Tony four days later when I came back for my next Thursday gig.

Tony was teary eyed with pride. He’d made the right decision. There was no splitting of the bounty, however, just a simple thank you and endless harassment of his hapless clients for not tipping the waiter near enough.

28 Years and counting… But I’ll be moving to Laos . My wife and kid are Lao and I like the pace of life there.

As to why I moved to Taiwan? It’s been so long ago that I can’t remember. Just know that I liked it way more back.

Oh, and citizen since 1994.

Taike

Stupidest.
Thread.
Ever.
Dude, you’re starting to threaten Quentin’s Most Annoying Drunk Poster title.

Eagerly awaiting your threads on:

Do you like Chinese food?/Oh! You can use chopsticks!

and

You’re from Canada? I’ve been to Vancouver!

Yeah but its a nice post. I’ll buy it when it comes out Fox, if you’ll sign it.

After a failed relationship and the murder of my cousin’s daughter at her own mother’s hand, I felt I had to leave the UK. I guess I was being quite cowardly but I wanted to escape the inevitable media fallout and wanted to work out the enormity of the event in my own time and space. So I went to Korea.

My Korea experience was particularly shit, criminal bosses, lots of back biting (this is best for another thread but it ended up with me making my former bosses go bankrupt, jailed and unable to run a business for 10 years), the inevitable rearing of elements of my past catching up with me, and towards the end of my time there pretty much the day I was fired, my secret gf at the time ( Korean society being what it is) had some tests which proved she had cervical cancer.

My relationship with her had been rocky at best, I’m prone to bouts of depression brought on by various things that happened in my life, she had been cheating on me, but I stayed mostly out of loneliness and so on. She had surgery and everything worked out for her in the end. However, after that she said she hated me, didn’t trust me and said I had no heart (after staying at her bedside for 3 days and nights).

At that point I had to make a choice, do I stay in Korea (a country I had come to really hate), go to Japan (more money, higher cost of living and I don’t know anybody there) China (salary is too low to cover my student loans) Taiwan (money is ok, cost of living ok, I have a friend there and learning Chinese would be good ) or go home which I was still not ready for.
I arrived here on 1st Sept 2004, now I’m married etc and have probably beaten most of my demons. And I still haven’t learned Chinese :blush:

After graduating I was looking at getting a job in manhattan. The thought of taking the damn cattle-barge ferryboat there and back every day was enough for me to grasp the straw that was offered.

A local asks you why you came to Taiwan, and you tell 'em all that?! :noway:

Don’t listen to the chief . . . He’s just embarrassed cuz he thought he was going to Thailand and kept “wai-ing” everybody his first week here.

Write on, Fox.

So I could answer stupid questions.

and I always wanted to learn how to use chopsticks.

I wanted to go to Thailand but the travel agent misheard me and sold me a ticket to Taiwan. Took me 9 years to realize I was in the wrong place and why people kept looking at me funny when I said kept saying Sawat Di to them.

Possibly, but I’m never rude. I see. It’s a dig about the title. I was going to call it Sassi but who’d open a thread called Sassi. Wasn’t Quentin kind of fighting drunk? I never read any of his threads. Anyway you thought Kris Kristofosen was cool.

[quote]After a failed relationship and the murder of my cousin’s daughter at her own mother’s hand, I felt I had to leave the UK. I guess I was being quite cowardly but I wanted to escape the inevitable media fallout and wanted to work out the enormity of the event in my own time and space. So I went to Korea.

My Korea experience was particularly shit, criminal bosses, lots of back biting (this is best for another thread but it ended up with me making my former bosses go bankrupt, jailed and unable to run a business for 10 years), the inevitable rearing of elements of my past catching up with me, and towards the end of my time there pretty much the day I was fired, my secret gf at the time ( Korean society being what it is) had some tests which proved she had cervical cancer.

My relationship with her had been rocky at best, I’m prone to bouts of depression brought on by various things that happened in my life, she had been cheating on me, but I stayed mostly out of loneliness and so on. She had surgery and everything worked out for her in the end. However, after that she said she hated me, didn’t trust me and said I had no heart (after staying at her bedside for 3 days and nights).

At that point I had to make a choice, do I stay in Korea (a country I had come to really hate), go to Japan (more money, higher cost of living and I don’t know anybody there) China (salary is too low to cover my student loans) Taiwan (money is ok, cost of living ok, I have a friend there and learning Chinese would be good ) or go home which I was still not ready for.
I arrived here on 1st Sept 2004, now I’m married etc and have probably beaten most of my demons. And I still haven’t learned Chinese :blush:[/quote]

Interesting back story Mr. Funk.

I came because I thought heroin would be cheaper here.

And you stayed.

[quote]28 Years and counting… But I’ll be moving to Laos . My wife and kid are Lao and I like the pace of life there.

As to why I moved to Taiwan? It’s been so long ago that I can’t remember. Just know that I liked it way more back.

Taike
[/quote]

I lived on the Lao border for a couple of years. On the Thai side before the border opened. I loved it.

[quote=“Fox”][quote]28 Years and counting… But I’ll be moving to Laos . My wife and kid are Lao and I like the pace of life there.

Taike
[/quote]

I lived on the Lao border for a couple of years. On the Thai side before the border opened. I loved it.[/quote]

I lived in Laos for two years. Home was a small village just outside of Vientiane. The peace and quiet was just overwhelming. In bed at 9PM and up at 5AM. Another two to three years in Taiwan (unless I win the lottery) and then it’s back to Laos.

Where at in Thailand, Fox? Udong Thani?

Taike

I came for a 1. new life experience, 2. opportunity to earn good money, 3. learn something new about the world, 4. have a look first hand at the exotic Asian princesses, 5. I’d had a dream a year before where I was on a beach surrounded by Asians - when I went to Kenting during CNY '03 Baishawan looked remarkedly like the beach in my dream (and I was surrounded by, well, Asians…)

Worked out pretty well, made some loot, dated some princesses, and headed over the pond to Xiamen. But I’m visiting y’all in a few months - catching a Snakehead Express Ferry over…

Hi Taike.

Neither. I lived in a village along the Mekong called Chiang Khan. It was a two-horse town.
I worked in a Hmong refugee camp. That’s the girl in the mix of my back story of why I actually did come to Taiwan. At the risk of sending you and the Chief to sleep I’ve also written that one:

Lost Cause

Getting There and Getting Started

This wasn’t my first time in Thailand, but it was certainly going to be different to all the times previous. Not just because this time I had a real reason for being here, but also because this time I knew the lay of the land. I had lived in Thailand 6 years previously and was familiar with the smells and bells of the place. I thought.

I came on something of a loose end all the same. I had been living with a friend in Australia and Japan, and she, true to her word and over the top of my most tasteless Mother Teresa jokes, had decided to go to Thailand to work with an aid agency from Taiwan. The name of the agency was TCRS (Thai-Chinese Refugee Service). It was based out of the Chinese Association for Human Rights office in Taiwan. At the time of my friend joining the agency, it was something of a shadow of its former self, suffering from cutbacks in government funding, a lack of interest in charity organizations from the general public in Taiwan, and perhaps most importantly, its function as an information gathering source had been overestimated, overstated, and ultimately, somewhere in the bowels of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, overturned. Though it still held together by some imperceptible thread; mostly the earnestness it captured from its staff, and the simple sense of adventure it instilled in all of us.

Somewhere along the line, my friend had asked for the opportunity to work with hill tribes’ people. Like me, she’d been in Thailand before, and at one time traveled north with one of the Lonely Planet writers. They’d done the usual treks, smoked an opium pipe, and hit it off. But what’s important here is that this time up north had left an impression on my friend and that’s where she wanted to go. Thank God as it turned out. The alternative was to work with Khmer refugees in Aranya Phatet on the Cambodian boarder, a sweltering desert. Luckily for us we ‘knew’ what we wanted and that’s what we got.

We were stationed in a town called Chiang Khan on the Mekong bordering Lao. It was a wild-west type of place, as are most of the towns that far north. The no guns allowed sign over the bar was styled in the universal road sign language of a pistol set in a red circle with a line through it. And what a bar it was, perched on stilts over the Mekong, so that the river would flow under a third of the place during the rainy season: a rough-hewn teak building, dripping in bougainvilleas of pinks, reds, and purples. We stayed there whilst we searched for a place to rent, which we found, within days, a few blocks down the road along the river.

Like the bar it was rough-hewn teak on stilts with the kitchen and upstairs outdoor area perched out over the river. But it was set a little further back with a farming area on the mud flats, and a banana grove out the kitchen window. None of this obscured the view of the river, which flowed majestically, almost imperceptibly, barring the occasional wraps of bamboo logs that would drift passed having been illegally logged in Lao. At this time of year, mid dry season, the river steamed. The warm moist air drifted up and through the kitchen window burning your nostrils like the first whiff of a sauna.

Mostly, however, our house was cool and dark. The only light it received was through the narrow glassless shuttered windows that lined its sides and the kitchen area, a perfect design for the dry 40-degree days in the north.

Once we had ourselves established the next step was for me to find some work in the camp. Fortunately, there was a position open at the Catholic Office for Emergency Relief and Refugees (COERR), one of the ubiquitous Non-Government Organizations (NGO) working in the camp. NGO’s play a much more important role in world politics than people might recognize. But what they are, who they represent, and how representative they are, are questions seldom posed to the “Lords of Poverty”. It was the first time being Catholic qualified me for anything other than a few Hail Mary’s after confession on a Sunday back in the days when my biggest sin was taking things that didn’t belong to me—mum’s cakes.

Although, whilst I say that, there was an interview process with two intriguing women-one a Canadian, the other American. As it turned out the guy who had previously been Project Manager for COERR’s English program had moved on to the very dangerous position as Editor of a new UN sponsored camp newspaper. My application and interview were perfectly painless. I’d had plenty of experience as an English teacher, and like I said, I was Catholic. Everything was soon approved by Kun Susitra, COERR’s Field Officer, a women we would later refer to as Ozymandias, as in the desert king from Shelley’s poem, “Look upon all my works ye mighty and despair.”

As circumstances contrived it Meiling, my friend and now “Field Officer” of TCRS’s aid efforts in Ban Vinai, was able to negotiate a role for TCRS on the UN newspaper. It was something of a coup for TCRS, which was desperate to establish any relationship with the UN that could be used by the Taiwanese government to help show that Taiwan’s sovereignty was recognized by the United Nations.

John Burns, the man who I replaced at COERR and now Editor of the Camp Information Project was aware of the implications here and skillfully plied the money from TCRS to sponsor his project while at no time handing over any official documentation. Many a meeting was held in the TCRS’s offices on how to push John over the line. I was even enlisted as a non-Taiwanese, someone who might be able to ply the common touch with John and help with getting things moving.

Nothing ever eventuated; John was more suspicious of me than anyone else. And although over time we became good friends, I doubt if he still didn’t harbor ideas about me being a spy right to the very end. Spy spotting was something of a game for all of us. They had to have existed in the camp, and the expat community was small enough to know everybody. So John’s thinking I were one was not so remarkable in and of itself. Still thinking it after 2 years of friendship should let you know how deep suspicions ran in an environment that traded in misinformation, paranoia and genuine fear.

My first day on the job had me re-interviewed by the principle of the school, a Mr. Lee Bang. In something of a double take, I was to be interviewed for the position to which I had already been appointed. It was a perfectly sensible arrangement as it turned out. After all, it was the refugees’ school even if the funding were from the outside. Lee Bang was about 21 years old but he could have been much older. He was wiry of build and wily of nature- a caricature of a Chinese Mandarin. He was extremely polite and well mannered and whilst it were a job interview, he like me knew there was only going to be one outcome, and that wasn’t whether I got the job or not, but what kind of a relationship we would have together. By the end of the interview we were both fairly happy with the outcome, and a friendship was born which would later be tested with me having to spring Lee Bang from a Thai prison cell.

The rest is here:
redbubble.com/people/digby/writing?page=3

I financially support both my parents… even if it wasn’t for that I don’t think I want to live elsewhere.

I was burning out in a Ph.D. program, depressed due to that stress after losing my grandma, dog and sister within a short span, and had a hopeless relationship with a girl from Sichuan, due to whom I started learning Mandarin. My Mandarin self-study was at that point the thing I was most passionate about, and a Taiwanese friend suggested I move to Taiwan to teach English, to focus on the thing I had a passion for, to have a better environment for my language studies, and to get the hell out of the Ph.D. program. So I did, 15 years, one month and one week ago today. I’ve never regretted it for a moment.

Just got back to Manchester from Bangkok, living with my mother instead of my nice house with a pool. It was cold. The school offered to Fedex me a ticket as long as I started work on January 2nd which was nine days away. They said it would be like Thailand in some ways, but also a bit like Hong Kong or Japan. It wasn’t.

The whole time I was in Taiwan was pretty much a catalogue of disaster for a number of reasons, and while I had a lot of fun, there’s no doubt it was a disastrous decision and and idiotic thing to do (for me). It really wasn’t the place, though, or maybe it was in a roundabout way. I think that in the final analysis, it was such a mess because things couldn’t change there for me; I’d always be bound by certain conditions that don’t exist elsewhere. I’m 1000 times healthier and happier away from it all, although I do really miss it at the same time, which is probably why I hang around here so much - a masochistic revelling in nostalgia for a bad but intense chapter of my life.

Battery9, that’s cool. Good on you.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Just got back to Manchester from Bangkok, living with my mother instead of my nice house with a pool. It was cold. The school offered to Fedex me a ticket as long as I started work on January 2nd which was nine days away. They said it would be like Thailand in some ways, but also a bit like Hong Kong or Japan. It wasn’t.

The whole time I was in Taiwan was pretty much a catalogue of disaster for a number of reasons, and while I had a lot of fun, there’s no doubt it was a disastrous decision and and idiotic thing to do (for me). It really wasn’t the place, though, or maybe it was in a roundabout way. I think that in the final analysis, it was such a mess because things couldn’t change there for me; I’d always be bound by certain conditions that don’t exist elsewhere. I’m 1000 times healthier and happier away from it all, although I do really miss it at the same time, which is probably why I hang around here so much - a masochistic revelling in nostalgia for a bad but intense chapter of my life.

Battery9, that’s cool. Good on you.[/quote]

Buttercup: I’d like to hear more about that. It sounds interesting.

As for me, I’d been in Europe for two years. Sometimes I loved it, at other times, I hated it, but it was always interesting and it always felt like an adventure. Hardly a day goes by when I don’t think of central Europe. I went back to Australia for three years, working as a school teacher, but just couldn’t really get back into it. I struggled the whole time I was there. I wanted to go to Japan, but realised the cost of living was too high. I wanted to see Asia from Asia, instead of saving money in Australia, spending it, and then going back to start it again. The irony of that is that in the time I’ve been in Taiwan, I haven’t actually seen any of Asia outside of Taiwan yet, though I’ve always been someone who prefers to do longer trips rather than lots of little ones. I’ve been fairly good about meeting my other objective – saving/investing a fair amount of money – despite getting married. Before I came to Taiwan, I got a job in the NET programme in Hong Kong. They said I definitely had a job, but they couldn’t tell me when in the next twelve months it would be, so I couldn’t be bothered potentially treading water for another year in Australia. Less than a month later, I was in a training session for Hess Evil Organization. About the end of next year, my wife and I will leave Taiwan to do a very long trip (about eighteen months) through Asia. I don’t know if we will come back, though I think we probably will because despite my wife saying she’d like to live overseas, I know it could only ever be a temporary thing. I’m ambivalent about living in Taiwan now. If we do come back to Taiwan, I don’t want to be a teacher, formal or informal. It’s just not for me. I’d have to come up with a crazy business plan instead.