Social benefits of Taiwan compared to North America and Europe

What are the best social benefits that taiwan have and comparing to north america and europe?

The USA and Europe is a huge divide so maybe narrow it down a little bit…

USA only has food stamps and stuff like that, and medicaid for people who can qualify for food stamps. However anyone in the middle is basically left out in the cold.

Taiwan has national health insurance so basic medical care isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg, and I think you are entitled to free health checks every so often so they can find anything bad and treat it.

But most European countries have universal healthcare of some kind that the USA clearly lacks.

Taiwan is trying to follow the European model if they can. Cities also have a more European design, meaning the center of a city is defined by the train station whereas in the US train stations are almost unknown.

Taiwan has a considerably better social healthcare system than here in the UK, where it feels like public hospitals are surviving on a thread and could fall apart at any moment.

Although it isn’t nearly as generous as it used to be, in the UK you’ll keep getting a small allowance if you find yourself out of a job and don’t have more than a certain amount of savings, as long as you show that you’re actively looking for work. I believe Taiwan doesn’t have a system like this in place and I’d be curious to know how it works there.

That said, in the UK it’s normal to struggle to find a job for a year or longer after you become unemployed, so financial assistance is absolutely necessary. Whenever I’ve seen Taiwanese friends out of work, I’ve always been surprised at how quickly they seem to be able to find something new.

Aside from health insurance, I don’t think Taiwan offers much else. The government actually spends less of GDP than the USA.

If you’re made redundant the Taiwanese taxpayers pay you 60% of your salary for 6 months. Quite generous compared to the UK.

1 Like

If anything, that sounds a little too generous…

Taiwan has a huge tax evasion % so that 60% might not count for as many as one may think. But there are lots of fake jobs too, so it may quite high…interesting. Dis t know they had that.

Taiwan does have such a system and you get it for six to nine months if you are laid off and can’t find a job. It’s approx 60% of your previous income , you need to have paid in a certain amount in labour insurance to access it and foreigners are eligible too (at least those with open work permit and residence anyway ).
The one weird thing is you have to have been receiving a salary of something like minimum of 30k a month to access it.

1 Like

I’m happy to pay taxes in Taiwan because you get a lot back and there is not a mentality of being on welfare. Things work in Taiwan and it’s the only country I’ve found competent government workers that are nice and welling to help you.

4 Likes

The social benefits in TW also extend past the marketplace. Kids grow up in a safe society, people can walk around at night, it’s not violent. Families can be left to themselves to monitor their kids (mostly anyways), and the society functions well without an elaborate set of legal codes because social pressure to behave will is strong there.

You can put your kid in almost any school and it will prob be ok, public or private. The doctors are at least competent enough to make sure everyone has basic care. There cops are reactive and leave you alone.

There is also the added social benefit of not having guns and really unhealthy food everywhere, as is the case in most US cities.

1 Like

Taiwan doesn’t have “really unhealthy food everywhere”? Are you sure???

1 Like

Healthy*.

Compared to the US. Lots of asterisks no doubt.

I don’t know so much about the competent part :wink: but friendly and helpful yes.

As competent as I’ve encountered for public workers.

That’s a low bar :).
The old country was much much worse I’ll give them that

Is there a welfare mentality in Italy?

Yes. Especially in the south where unemployment is even higher than the national 10%. Real unemployment is likely significantly higher since most people have given up. There are a lot of tensions because people in the North see the south as a burden that their high taxes go to.