South-African caught growing weed?

Slightly OT, but speaking of drug news stories, did you read about Andre Agassi? Holy cow, he just admitted to snorting meth. Makes Michael Phelps’ bong hit look like girl scout cookies.

[quote=“Feiren”]
Hmmm… some recent news stories —Taiwanese baseball player who just got caught the other day with 20,000 ecstasy pills. Junkies at Banqiao Earth God Temple throw syringes out bathroom window, Junkie in Taichung crashes car into fruit stand after shooting up, 13 year girl caught snorting K at KTV…[/quote]

Yes, it’s true. But the big difference is that drugs have not become as socially acceptable in “polite society” as they are in the West. I wouldn’t imagine smoking a spliff after a middle class dinner party in Taiwan.

Genuinely Curious – why is it ALWAYS the Canadians caught doing this stuff?

Agassi was SNORTING meth? What a pantywaist mummy’s boy! A waste of perfectly good stimulants!
And Feiren, those athletes were good old LOCAL boys. They must have been poisoned by the filthy foreigners. Stands to reason.

This, from a skirt-wearing chap who engages in online conversations about diapers. :slight_smile:

It’s not always Canadians. “Usually” would be fairer.
I guess it’s because there are a lot of them here, they tend to be young, and of course Canada has a huge smoking culture. I recall reading somewhere that Canada has the highest percentage of “herbalists” in the developed world.

[quote=“sandman”]
And Feiren, those athletes were good old LOCAL boys. They must have been poisoned by the filthy foreigners. Stands to reason.[/quote]

Of course! Silly me.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
However, we’ve posted pictures of people possibly in trouble with the law in Taiwan or overseas on Forumosa before. [/quote]

In my opinion, it is in exceedingly bad taste and even worse form to stoop to primordial level such as posting pics and links about supposed perpetrators of a crime. If one was so crassly interested about the identity of a criminal, surely one could find that info for oneself.

Yet, it’s exceedingly obvious that some on this site take great juvenile delight in revelling in the misfortune or blunders of others.
Apple Daily, gaining on ya!

Almas John touches on some key points and I would like to add a few more here.

There are a lot of Canadians teaching in TW, when there are a lot of one group they tend to cause more problems (92 Brits were locked up last year in Thailand for example, this doesn’t include those who bribed their way out, more Brits in Thailand, they take the bulk of the heat).

I also think most Canadians who come here do so through word of mouth (others who are here or have been here). Partying is one of the selling points, so when people come here they easily get caught up in it.

the young and dumb factor. People who are coming here are younger than ever and not as savvy a traveller as the people who came before. Back in the day people were more backpackeresque, nowadays it is like some sort of graduate program that people jet off to straight after college. TW is now one of those overseas starter countries and this tends to make people less gracious and less aware.

[quote=“Feiren”]
Junkie in Taichung crashes car into fruit stand after shooting up[/quote]

Wow. The guy was driving with one hand and shooting up smack with the other, and wonders why he lost control of the car. Amazing. And I thought driving while talking on the phone was a bad idea… :noway:

Hey, i LIKE Apple Daily.

Especially the cartoon-esque “re-creations” of the alleged perps doing their stuff.

almost as good as the Sun. precious little on the page 3 front. though. Oi likes me page 3 ‘sport’, Oi does.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Isn’t so bad? It’s God’s will.

[quote=“Genesis 1:11-12”]And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.[/quote]

Praise Allah. :notworthy:[/quote]

I 'm especially fond of the scripture used by the Rastafarians:

Psalms 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

That David must’ve been smokin’ the reefer.

BTW I didn’t see anything about that guy getting caught smoking inside the night club in the yahoo link. I haven’t seen the Apple Daily though. They did say he got caught selling outside. Not like that’s any better.

Here’s a cool site if you’re looking for your long lost buddy that never came back from Thailand:http://www.foreignprisoners.com/

Ever see that banged up abroad about the Brit that first came to Taiwan to teach and ended up smuggling heroin to Australia or something. This stuff’s really tragic makes me want to go buy some toothbrushes and chocolates in bulk and drop by the Hilton every time I go to Thailand. Never do though… :cactus:

Hmmm…maybe this was just an attempt to start up a recreational farm, since cultural enterprises are all the rage these days. Probably just a matter of poor Chinese learning on their part. You know, they wanted to name it "Big Horse Recreational Farm " but when they got the sign back from the sign shop it read “Marijuana Recreational Farm” because they messed up the tones ordering it over the phone. But, you know, if you’re out that kind of money on a sign…Could’ve happened to anyone. :smiley:

Bloody stupid thing to do. It’s not like they don’t have the ROC drug policy painted on the wall of the airport in letters half a meter tall.

[quote=“ironlady”]Hmmm…maybe this was just an attempt to start up a recreational farm, since cultural enterprises are all the rage these days. Probably just a matter of poor Chinese learning on their part. You know, they wanted to name it "Big Horse Recreational Farm " but when they got the sign back from the sign shop it read “Marijuana Recreational Farm” because they messed up the tones ordering it over the phone. But, you know, if you’re out that kind of money on a sign…Could’ve happened to anyone. :smiley:

Bloody stupid thing to do. It’s not like they don’t have the ROC drug policy painted on the wall of the airport in letters half a meter tall.[/quote]

You ever tried to read half meter print right after flying stoned? I mean, like flying while you’re flying, man! Dude! That’s, like, totally bizarre, man! You, like are flying, like, in the plane, right? But you’re totally effin’ flyin’, man! Like from the dope, dude! Whoa!!

Chewycorns,

Posting pictures of people who may possibly be associated with this story is the wrong thing to do. They don’t want it, their friends don’t want it, their family doesn’t want it, their employer doesn’t want it and we don’t need it.

There will be enough hurt and regret going around in their lives already - so perhaps try to cool your detective work and think about how your actions may impact on other people.

You wrote '…we’ve posted pictures of people possibly in trouble with the law in Taiwan or overseas on Forumosa before.’

So what (?) & that certainly doesn’t make it right. Surely you can appreciate that?

If I was in the cop shop I’d hope someone else would ask you or FORUMOSA to remove the photo.

This is not a personal attack – it just needed to say it.

In my opinion, it is these charged people that should have thought about how their actions negatively impact people. Another person mentioned I’m laughing at the misfortune. In reality, I’m not. These people ruin the image of overseas expats. A recent article in the Globe and Mail mentioned that 52,000 Canadians live in Taiwan, and I’m sure most of these are hardworking, law abiding, and cultural ambassadors.

The ones that break the law deserve some ribbing for their stupidity exactly because they make every one else suffer. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Get used to it.

[quote=“BlackAdder”] If I was in the cop shop I’d hope someone else would ask you or FORUMOSA to remove the photo.

This is not a personal attack – it just needed to say it.[/quote]

For God’s sake, why? It’s not evidence and its publically available. :ponder:

Will they be put to work teaching english to other prisoners?

This kind of thing really pisses me off, why don’t people realise that when you’re a living in a foreign country and part of a minority group, your actions reflect on everyone else, so he’s not only stupid and irrisponsible, but he gives every other South African in Taiwan a bad image, not only South Africans, but foreigners in general.

I’m with the Chewy guy on this one, anyone stupid enough to get involved in drugs while living in a foreign country (especially Asia) has to deal with the consequences.

I know for some people weed is a lifestyle, but some things just don’t fly well in China, drugs is one of them, go live your lifestyle back in your own country.

And I hope this guy and all his accomplices get the harshest shittest sentence possible, it may actually make others think twice.

Here’s a little checklist for Mr. Qintes (or whatever his name is)

1. Drugs are illegal in Taiwan & China
  2. Dealing and growing drugs are illegal in Taiwan & China
  3. You’re a wanker

This is not China.

[quote=“SerpentChina”]

1. Drugs are illegal in China
  2. Dealing and growing drugs are illegal in China
  3. You’re a wanker[/quote]

How about:

1. You’re a fucking idiot.

@Feiren, apologies, post edited.

@The bear, I’ll add your suggestion to the checklist