South African woman missing in Changhua county

Side note…why are so many Saffers in Taiwan now? 10 years ago it was mostly Brits, Canucks, and Yankees. Now there are a lot from SA.

There have always been quite a few. I think I’ve met maybe 4 people from SA, which would be about 15% of the total number of foreigners I’ve ever bothered to speak to :slight_smile:

I suppose it’s the usual reason: because they can, and because home is boring and/or scary.

They’ve been coming ever since the KMT was buddy-buddy with the Apartheid government.

1 Like

I am not sure but my Ex-boss had a School which used to employ mainly UK, US teachers. He now uses at least 20 South African teachers because he said they are “less trouble”. Figure that one out ? :thinking:

Qualified teacher in SA earns around the equivalent of 20kNTD a month. Plus, apart from generally cheaper housing the cost of living is surprisingly high in South Africa.

They have the right passport and often the preferred skin colour.

Hsinchu is already getting called Little South Africa. It’s packed full of them and most are working in the Taiwanese public school system. 67k minimum a month, housing allowance, long holidays in the summer, free milk in your coffee breaks… It’s a no-brainer.

Is that housing allowance part of the 67k or in addition to?

In addition to 67k.

They’ve also got a reputation for being hard workers. Prepared to teach long hours if in buxibans and generally reliable (come in when sick for example - the things the buxiban owners like).

As Tando said, in addition. I think they get other financial benefits as well and a flight back home every year. That’s their starting point so it’s really not surprising that more of them are coming over. It’s also considerably safer here and they aren’t disliked by the majority of the population.

About 30,000NT to 35,000NTD not 20,000NTD

public school teachers start at BA 62000, Masters 69000 PHD 73000 housing is an extra 5000 and attendance an extra 2000.

Really? I stand corrected. My South African friend told me the starting pay was 20k. They are prone to embellishing their tales. I should have double checked.

Woah! So many things just made sense. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Well if a school can get away with paying their teacher 20k and pocketing the rest, I am sure it does happen lol. This is South Africa we’re talking about.

From what I know its around R150,000 to R190,000 per year.

Elementary school is less pay than High school, but 20,000NTD a month sounds really low, that’s like R100,000 a year.

13 months.

Public school teachers get paid extra to show up for work? Sounds like a sweet gig!

Guy

Get paid to not skip a day of work or be late :cowboy_hat_face:

The bosses aren’t that naive. :no_no:
These “extra” 2000 are probably already included in your salary. This means that your hourly rate is a bit lower in fact.
Also, if you show up late or skip a day, they will discount 2000 from your salary besides the respective missing working hours. :noway:

That is still 10,000 less than the average private school salary. Public you may get a longer holiday, but the money is in Private schools.

The true suffering is in private schools too