South African woman missing in Changhua county

I only get 60k NTD working at my Uni. Not great, but I get 4 months off a year, and only work 16 hours a week (and no desk warming), so I think it balances out. It’d have to be more than an extra 10 grand a month to lure me back to the house of horrors that we formally refer to as “private schools.” :wink:

1 Like

That job sounds like a dream

I mean that leaves you with a lot of time to pick up another side gig. Probably do 1 hour of privates 5 days a week and make a extra 20k.

1 Like

While it’s only 16 hours, there’s a ton of prep required for each class. And evaluations keep you on your toes, so you can’t get away with slacking. That said, a normal Uni teacher does have time to pursue other side-projects like research, privates, Chinese lessons, or even get partially sponsored by the Uni for a PhD if they want to pursue one. (I say “normal”, because in my situation I have a baby so my free time is in very short supply)

Is 60k a average wage for a university teaching position? I thought it’s would be more.

It’s not the average if you include Associate Professors and Professors. For bog standard English teaching lecturers it’s probably around the average starting salary. The pay scales are odd because even the private universities have them set by the MOE, but the unis find ways to increase the pay if they cannot fill posts. The reverse can also be the case. I think I saw a uni teaching gig in Hualian that offered less than 50k. No idea how they get away with that.

A mate of mine works at a uni in Xindian and I think he’s on something around 55k - but he only teaches 12 hours a week. I’m currently teaching 18 hours a week and average around 75-80k a month take-home, but I get bonuses for very large classes and I’ve been doing it for 6 years. There’s also a CNY bonus which is about 4-6 weeks pay.

The pay isn’t great, but other aspects of the job are. I wouldn’t trade it for a return to the buxiban scene, that’s for sure.

Does salary include the time off of school during break?

Almost always. I’ve seen some private unis offer jobs that don’t pay for the breaks, but instead offer a higher monthly rate.

Don’t you need to teach a min of 14 hours a week to have your ARC sponsored?

Iirc, it’s a rule for buxiban teachers.

3 Likes

Anyone know what happened to the missing girl? Was she really missing and how did they find her?

Sounds like she just sobered up long enough to show up at the police station.

The story turned up in the news today.

https://udn.com/news/story/7320/2895426?from=udn-relatednews_ch2

Apparently she got into a strangers car in Taichung because she was cold. The driver took her to the police station.

Wow, she got lucky. This story could have ended with her dead body dumped on a hillside out in the boonies. You’d think a South African would have a little more situational awareness. Or maybe she’s just a really good judge of character…

1 Like

It could be, but here is taiwan. The possibility here would be a little bit lower than many other places.

1 Like

Probably, but getting into a stranger’s car when you’re drunk as a skunk is a bad idea in any country.

4 Likes

At least the cops are safe: relatively.
640_3d9f635a78866d03f627eb15b4634c7f

Still a possibility. And not that low. Especially with foreigners.

1 Like

I know rates of street crimes like mugging, burglary and random assaults are lower than in the West, but I don’t think that extends to sexual assaults or pervs abducting young women. In fact, it’s probably under reported in a patriarchal society which emphasizes the importance of not losing face or being shamed.

1 Like