Spider or Bee bite? Troubling me since days

At some point on Monday I must have been bitten by some kind of animal. I noticed it on Monday to Tuesday night but first thought it’s sunburn. Later looked at it and noticed I got a bite. No improvement at all so far, it’s on my tigh and the more I walk or do sports the worse it swells up. Burning pain and really stiff… feels like it could pop and sometimes turns a bit purple…

Any idea what I should do? Take ibuprofen 2x a day now which helps for some hours then as soon as I move swelling comes back. Want to summit all 5 yushan peaks on Tuesday/Wednesday and right now getting afraid of nit being able to do so.

Also my energy levels are much lower than normal even thozi sleep 1-2 hours more per day. HRV is down from 55avg to around 30-35…

Never been allergic to anything. Remember three bumble bees biting me 10 years ago and that was much better. Wasp bites disappeared a couple of days later. Then however maybe my immune system goes crazy since that mRNA gene therapy for covid 19? That shot gave me myocarditis but besides having nearly 10 months trouble with HRV I felt fine otherwise and lately HRV finally became normal again… (Never had covid 19 as far as I know and tested quite sometimes)
Usually a bee or bumble bee bite should be noticed immediately with burning pain. This time I just remember it first appeared at night, and slowly got worse…

You go to the doctor? Looks ugly.

3 Likes

Looks like possible cellulitis to me. Definitely want to get that looked at.

2 Likes

Go see a fucking doctor!

1 Like

You have cellulitis. Go to A&E. Cellulitis is a galloping opportunistic infection.

And please don’t tell us about vaccination theories, it’s just cellulitis. I’ve had it several times.

2 Likes

Edited to add: A couple of posters say you have cellulitis, so I guess you can ignore this post.

I don’t know anything about that kind of bite. I’ve been lucky so far (knock wood).

There are threads on bug bites. Here are a couple:

There are other threads about biting bugs and bug bites.

Okay, so now I have to figure out what’s the way with the least wait to get antibiotics right? Can I just get them at a pharmacy without seeing a doctor in Taichung. Those hospitals here usually have crazy wait times… Should I go tonight?

I thought it had improved overnight and with rest but 2 hours walking got it to the above state from before looking quite okay ish

Yes. Jesus. An infected boil put me in the hospital for a week a few years ago.

3 Likes

Go to the emergency room. It’s like a few hundred extra bucks.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to scare you but this is some sort of infection. You need to go to the hospital like yesterday. :hushed:

1 Like

Got my sister on line who’s a GP AND she thinks 50/50 allergic reaction or cellulitis. I’ll try if they hand me out anti histamine plus penicillin in a pharmacy without Taiwan doctor prescription else hit the emergency room. Gotta be fit on Tuesday 5AM

No!!! You will end up with MRSA. Please please go to the emergency room.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. You need to have this taken care of, and you’re not simply going to the ER now? I had an bump like you have, but on my finger. The infection trail was up past my elbow after I waited one day to get it checked out.

But hey man, you do you. We’re all adults, right?

1 Like

That could turn into a life-threatening systemic infection very quickly. Just go to the ER now.

1 Like

It’s not impossible that you’ll need to spend a few days in the hospital getting IV antibiotics. Don’t fool around with infections. If all is well it won’t take long.

3 Likes

I’m on my way now as they would not sell me penicillin (my sister told me to take 1-2million IE 3 times daily until symptoms are over) so let’s see about it at the hospital…
Seems in Taiwan it’s only injection. So my alternative would be enthromycin 500mg 3x daily… Which is more broad however… let’s see I definitely will not stay at hospital. Way too good feeling for that and it’s pretty steady for days. Just not improving…

3 Likes

Well go to hospital to walk out none the wiser and scared about a according to literature 1.2%-25% lethal infection… Haha that only happens in Taiwan. But did end up getting the wanted antibiotics plus some more because doctor thinks it maybe vibri vulnificus… told to come back on Monday for blood tests or surgery (they never gonna amputate my leg, I rather die and I’m dead serious here!) if it’s getting worse…
Cost 2227ntd. 330 registration, 1390 for the checkup including ECG and the rest for the medicine and the in hospital pharmacy fee (according to my sister in Germany would have paid about 3300ntd privately but they would always have taken a blood test before medication if they suspect vibri vulnificus).

Doesn’t really seem likely to me. Yeah been at the sea 12-18 hours before symptoms started… But vibri vulnificus should have brought me down way worse already… Well chucking in all antibiotics 2 respectively 3 times a day and just in case an anti histamine too (though allergic reaction seems least likely according to the doctor and my sister too) but the side effects of that one are less than the antibiotics…

2 Likes

sounds like a Sci-fi villain in a Doctor Who episode!
sorry to make light, though… up to 25% risk? seriously? from a bug bite :hushed:

1 Like

Yeah those numbers fluctuate all over. Some German report even put it at 40-60%. But a paper from Delaware claims
An estimate of 80.000 cases a year in the US with 1000 deaths. And clearly people with previous liver damage are the main risk group.

So in Europe they must have a big group of unidentified cases pushing their lethality so high (with case numbers being in double digits per country) and bad outlook for any infection not noticed within 12-24 hours saying one third to half of the cases untreated would be close to passing out by then… Shocking how that can make a medical newspaper with the much lower numbers from US known…

But seems there is no definitive test for it so maybe cases are all really severe…

Also then they talk about it happening usually with water temps above 20 degrees, but on Monday the officiall temp was 19.4 (though much more close to shore due to a small sand dune but that can have been only for some hours, at night it would have been around 19 only). Seems however Taiwan is quite heavily affected by it with Taiwan often being mentioned in articles about it despite the small size of the country and little sea side tourism.

My sister was like, don’t let them make you leave the hospital before taking blood samples! Obviously it was her first time hearing about it (and her husband who’s Internist doctor too and happened to be around and also never heard of it. But yeah far away from the sea).

:grimacing:

1 Like