🏟 Sports Venues | Taipei Dome

It says on Wikipedia that it’s supposed to be a multi use stadium also for football

Would be cool. A lot of the teams in the Japan second tier are not doing well financially and a Taipei based team could take over the franchise and take them to J1

IDK. Soccer is an outdoor sport. Does the roof retract?

No.

It says it can play baseball as well. Though, did you see the outfield foul lines?

Imagine trying to catch a foul ball, but only having less than a couple of feet to do so.

No that would be sensible

Just build a massive stadium without a professional sports team is the way. Just work things out later

“If you build it, they will come”

They should have planted corn all along the outfield walls.

1 Like

There is not much interest in football here. Do they have any football games in Taipei Municipal Stadium? Do they get any crowds there?

There is for the world cup and a lot of people watch the premier league. There isnt a professional league in Taiwan.

I think the 8 million people in the Greater Taipei area could support a decent professional team playing in the Japan league

I guess the key to OO’s suggestion is having a J league time. That hopefully means having a couple of Japanese players on the home team, and a rotation of hot Japanese soccer stars on the guest teams. This will immediately create a female fan base, followed by a male fan base.

On the face of it, ya, I would too. but is that even possible with all the underground infrastructure like rails, electricity, water, sewage and so on? I would guess (I have no idea) it is way more complicated than simply buying up real estate and building things surface level up.

the underground infrastructure available to public view is already quite extensive around the main station in taipei. the total probably plays largely into city planning.

You dont need to have Japanese players. Could be mostly Taiwanese and foreign players. Brunei has a team playing in the Singapore league for example

Wellington Phoenix is another example. New Zealand team playing in Australian league

2 Likes

Yeah, you could, but it wouldn’t jump start a female fan base.

They can also get some Japanese/Korean/Eastern European thirst traps if that sells tickets.

The Auckland Tuatara also play in the ABL. Several players from Taiwan played for the Auckland Tuatara.

1 Like

Yeah loads of example. Also Monaco who play in the French league.

All of the Lichenstein teams play in the Swiss league

We are not in North America where they have professional teams in the US and Canada playing for the same associations. There would be significant hurdles (and objections) to overcome to include a team of one country in the league of another. Why would the J-League want that anyway? Additional costs and hassle for every team. Would a Taiwan team playing in Japan draw any crowds there, generating any profit? Don’t think so. Perhaps they could have some exhibition games in Taiwan first, where J-League teams come over during the summer and play against a team of local players and see how that goes.

1 Like

I just gave loads of examples where it’s common

Why would Japan want?

Erm, money

The Asia Series were established in hopes of eventually forming a league of all Asian baseball powers. Judging by how many Japanese fans referring to it as the Asia Punishment Series, I think we are a long way from that.

How about rugby? I’d love to launch a garyowen in that stadium and hit the roof :rofl: