Squat toilets (yay or nay)

are you talking sitting or squatting toilets? as it is now, i much prefer the SQUATTING toilets in taiwan. why? the “western” toilet bowls here are too shallow. when i sit on a western toilet here, more often than not my male reproductive organ hits/makes contact with the interior of the porcelin bowl. yuck. eh. shiver me timbers. having your penis hit the inside of a toilet is not a good thing. ain’t even funny. never had this problem in North America.

as the old style toilets are quickly getting dumped for the sitting ones, it is getting harder and harder to find a place where i don’t have the fear of having my penis contaminated by god-knows-what when doin what we all gotta do.

I hate squatters. I would rather walk somewhere else then use one of those.

If, like me, you prefer to defecate in a natural squatting position without any part of your body (including the dangly bits) coming into contact with any part of the toilet, then the bowls can never be too low.

Just as a side note, squatters actually allow your body a more natural, healthier position for defecating (assuming one’s body is functional enough to comfortably assume the position).

Somewhere I picked up that using squatters for a long time can give you hemorrhoids. Don’t know if it’s true though.

Once my dangling bit went swimming while using the pots at the airport. They had/have extremely high water levels. It also splashes my behind which is really enoying and probably unhygienic.

This is all very clever, but a typical toilet in Taiwan’s cannot handle the flushing of paper towel, wads of toilet paper, plus whatever your body has dealt it. Especially those toilets that first slowly send water upwards before actually swallowing anything.

Okay, for the guys here, I’ve read the whole thread and still cannot imagine why, if you’re wearing pants with a zip or button fly and underwear with frontal slits, you would need to pull everything down to piss into a squatter. :?

Don’t worry, I can imagine why it would be required for number two. No explanation needed there.

After reading these posts, I have a question: When using a squatter, how does the user “miss” the thing? (It’s not exactly skeet shooting.)

One particular type of toilet has been ignored: the trough.

I was in Yuanlin recently and my bladder almost exploded. I ran to the nearest restroom, which was located inside a bus station, where I found a huge trough. This trough was crudely tiled and graded in such in a way as to provide semi-smooth drainage for any, um, contents.

Troughs aren’t anything new, yeah, but about four feet above the base of it, the previous construction crew must have ran out of material and then decided to call it quits. So your standing there during this “private” moment, and everone in the bus station and outside the bus station can see you from the shoulders/chest up - those unusual grunts and grins you make during a long pee in full view. :blush: (I could hear people saying, “Ni kan! Wai guo ren!”)

(For the curious: Yes, those who saw me, a 196cm, big-nosed curiosity, “sprayin’ yeller” did resist the urge to ask for my name during that moment.)

Disclaimer: I’m not complaining. I think living in Taiwan is great and always interesting. Honestly. :wink:

My first encounter with a squat toilet was in a little cafe in France. Unlike the “urinal on the floor” type squatters (such a lovely, descriptive word) you mostly see here, it was just a hole cute in the floor with a foot-shaped indentation on either side. It was lucky that I only had to urinate, so I could do that standing up. It was also lucky I didn’t actually stand in it by accident.

The light to the bathroom only turned on when you locked the door, which I didn’t know. :blush: So, I had closed the door most of the way and was groping around for the light switch or string, before closing it fully. I might have taken a misstep and gotten… ah… icky.

In Taiwan, when I first saw one, I didn’t quite associate it with what I had seen in France, as it looked to me like a urinal on the floor. Luckily, I’ve only had to use one here once, so far. Though I can see that it might be more “natural” way of defecating, I don’t find it very easy to do. Someone made a comment about people blaming the toilet for their fear of falling in. I don’t blame the toilet, I blame my clumsiness. I am, as they say ben shou ben jiao (stupid hands, stupid feet).

Even in the best of circumstances (e.g., looking through a shelf of books at a store), I am unsteady when squatting and usually have to use my hands from time to time to steady myself, which is NOT a good idea in a squat toilet. :shock: I can’t quite seem to get the positioning right. If I place my feet flat on the floor, as in the illustration shown earlier, my center of gravity seems to shift back and I start to fall backwards (which would not be good with a squat toilet :shock:). To keep balance, I end up on the balls of my feet. This is only comfortable for a short period of time. I wouldn’t want to try it while taking an extended…ah… defecation. :frowning:

In most public toilets, even the ones at work which are cleaned regularly, I usually follow Alleycats formula. When I wipe off the seat, I make sure to wipe around the inside edge, as well. Especially at work where they have the combo seat warmer/bidet. I don’t want to “encounter” any dirty water from someone else’s “cleansing ritual.” :shock: I put a layer on the water itself, which helps to prevent splashing (my bf taught me that. Thanks, hon!). And, I add a piece hanging over the front lip (into the bowl) to protect my “dangly bits” from touching the seat/rim.

I guess it is a lot to do to defecate. But, better that then coming into contact with other peoples “leftovers.” However, as aprimo said, the toilets here generally can’t take that amount of paper, so I just throw it into the toilet paper bin next to the toilet when I’m done. I then thoroughly wash my hands.

Despite all I go through to use them, I guess I’d have to vote for western sit toilets, instead of the squatters.

I prefer squatters when out in public. I’ve seen some scary looking toilets throughout Asia, many which reminded me of the scene in Trainspotting where Renton walks into the dirtiest toilet in Scotland. If I don’t have to make bodily contact with these nasty surfaces my peepee will be much happier and healthier in the long run.

After several (maybe more, I don’t remember) shots of Maotai, sitting on a train from Gwangzhou to Beijing I suddenly felt the call of nature. Train rocking back and forth, head rocking back and forth, and I am faced with a “squatter”. Man, I now know what it was like for those bombadiers trying to drop their payload during bombing raids over Europe.

I vote "No"for squatters.

Australian boffins did a study and concluded that Westerners can’t squat

I can understand the bombadier comparisons. I’m so worried about my accuracy, I take my pant right off when I use squatters. Better safe than sorry.

The biggest problem with squatters is that you can’t sit down and read while dropping the kids off. And I’m always paranoid I’ll lose my wallet and then shit on it, or have an anus bomb clip my pants on the way down.

With a squat toilet I end up being afraid of any of the following:

1. Pooping into my pants, which are bunched up under my center of gravity
  2. Slipping on the slick, urine-covered footpads and falling into the toilet
  3. The turds hitting the toilet and splattering a disgusting mixture of poo and pee onto my legs
  4. Dropping the contents of my pockets into the toilet.
  5. The predicament of attempting to balance and wipe my ass at the same time.

I hope that someday a Taiwanese high heeled Xiau Jie will slip into my establishment’s toilet bowl, drenching her nice shoes with pee.
Maybe I could make some adjustments and make the edge of the bowl tilt a little inside ways.

Uhm… maybe I could lower the ceeling? … Or,… make some kind of obstruction?

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind if they after done this way, they would clean-up their marks,but noooo!, just leave it for other people to clean up. Dirty bastards!

BTW, people that squat, have you never splashed anything on the back of your legs?

Don’t know what you people who have problems with squatters are doing wrong, but sheesh :loco: I never though something so simple as squatting could baffle someone’s mind…

What hell are you taking your pants off for? When sitting do you do the same? If not I guess you must let them drag all over the floor as you flail your legs about trying to complete the deed?

Of course ain’t nothing beats a nice long sit at home reading the paper, but outside, I really prefer to spend my time doing whatever I’m out for, rather than wiping crusty seats and beating off constipation by force of will and abdominals… Cleaner, quicker, and easier on the body.

Paranoia. I don’t like the possibility of a) having a chocolate missile clip my pants on the way down, or b) having my wallet drop out of my pocket and end up covered in leftovers.

The first time I used a squatter was in a bar in Thailand after way too many beers. I was so concerned about keeping my skirt up and out of the way, I lost my balance and brained myself on the wall in front of me. :blush:

In spite of this unfortunate incident, while I don’t have a problem using sitters, I vote yes to squatters. No part of me has to touch anything else. And quite frankly, that’s of concern in the public toilets here because some Taiwanese girls are disgusting in the dunny department. Piss all over the place. Pads on the floor. Dirty foot prints on the seat. Not to mention the pathological non-flushers! :sick:

Paranoia. I don’t like the possibility of a) having a chocolate missile clip my pants on the way down, or b) having my wallet drop out of my pocket and end up covered in leftovers.[/quote]

Tetsuo, you have some of the funniest expressions I have ever heard.

Actually the fear of dropping stuff in the squatter is fair enough. Two of my friends have dropped their cell phones in the toilet. One even dropped her car keys, but only noticed after she flushed and saw them disappear down the drain. Then she had to call the car company to tell them what had happened and get some new keys. How embarrassing! Weird though, I wouldn’t have thought the force of the flushing water would be powerful enough to move keys, but there you go…

Furthermore, these were all Taiwanese people and thus not rookie squatters!