Starbucks!

Yeah I ways thought Starbucks is a barn of a place compared to other coffee shops. They are obviously trying to keep people moving, not sure how that’s going to work out for them.

Buy one get one free today. I don’t know if it is just for coffee of the day or what, but I am going to be so cranked.

I haven’t been to Starbucks even once in the last couple years. Not since they jacked up the price of a latte form an already ridiculously over-priced 110 a cup to 120 citing the increased cost of milk (which went up by .6NT a litre or something - oh and they also increased the prices of their milk-free soy lattes and americanos, and - surprisingly - didn’t lower the price when costs went down again).

I don’t miss it in the slightest.

And I think the quality of cafes has gone up immensely in the years since I last commented in this thread. I’ve had good lattes at so many different prices in Taipei, that I’d much prefer to take my chances on an unknown independent cafe than a chain like Starbucks, even if their prices were lower.

It’s two for one. My head is spinning.

Back in the old days, I used to get a starbucks coffee every day EXCEPT when it was two for one (which seemed to be about once a month). On those days the queues were ridiculous.

So where do you find good coffee in Taipei then? I end up going to Starbucks when I visit out of convenience, because even bad coffee is better than no coffee!

Just pick an independent. They are everywhere in Taipei. While I don’t really dislike Starbucks, I’d rather support a local business, if possible. Taiwanese folk seem to take their coffee pretty seriously, and you can get a decent drop in most places. Have a wander round your neighbourhood.

Jesus where isn’t there good coffee in Taipei? Starbucks is for tourists. You can get a siphoned brew for the same price. For takeaway try places like CAMA, with $40 take away. Look for little places that look like a south american trading post.

These days you can get good coffee everywhere in Taiwan, it’s really pretty impressive. You can even drink locally grown coffee in Nantou and Chiayi.

There are many now roasting their own … doesn’t mean they’re excellent, roasting coffee well is an art and not everyone can do that even with a fully automated mini roaster, but that the coffee is roasted not too long ago makes partly up for it. Just take up the smell and you’ll find them for fresh cup of roast.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

Yeah, there’s an awful lot of scary-bad coffee too!

Can anyone recommend a good local place near the Nan-Jing E. Rd. MRT Station? I am staying right near the Taipei arena and would love to make my morning stops at a local shop that roasts their own beans or maybe does single cup pour over, siphon, etc. Suggestions appreciated!

Most independent places–with a handful of exceptions–that do the things you describe are typically not open in the morning (at least this is the case in Taipei City–cafes in other places such as Tainan have functioning coffee culture in the morning!). One exception that I know of is the inimitable Fong Da Coffee in Ximending–unfortunately not at all close to your current neck of the woods.

One place a bit closer that is open in the mornings (9:00ish I think) that makes unexpectedly good coffee is the “Thermos” shop on the west side of Fuxing South Road just south of Bade Road. The barista A-Train speaks good English and is obviously committed to his craft. Beware though that this small place is strictly a day time spot open Mondays to Fridays only.

Guy

Thank you guy! Thermos Cafe is only one block from the office I will be visiting. I appreciate the suggestion!

Nice nitro cold brew at Starbucks with 280mg caffeine, similar to 3 cups of coffee. Tastes good much better than the regular coffee. 0 carbs.

In what way?

More rich and smooth through slow brewing.

Which is most cold ‘brewed’ coffee. But any difference because of the nitro? Mouthfeel? Flavor? Bitterness? Acidity?

I’ve maxed out my review. It just tastes good.

1 Like

Translation failure.

Thank you Starbucks, when I ask for 火雞 (turkey) because it says turkey in English but it says 雞肉 (chicken) in Chinese.

20190221_094451