:facebook: Starting July, Passengers with Drunk Drivers will also be fined

I didn’t know that.

So, it could be possible to claim that one’s drunk driver friend was a private taxi driver and therefore avoid the fine?

I think like most cases where people try to weasel out of a charge, authorities will err on the side of “haha, nice try, buddy” when determining the validity of such excuses.

if the car and driver are registered as taxi, it might be possible.

1 Like

The passenger would know that?

If the passenger doesn’t, it’s a moot point since it means they weren’t hiring a taxi in the first place.

Why? Someone flags down a car, driver says he’s a taxi driver.

Then, you should concern those people to be kid napped, lobbed, or something like that more than to be fined due to riding a car with a drunk driver.

I know I’m playing silly buggers here.

My issue is with new laws being introduced when the existing laws aren’t enforced.

1 Like

That’s an issue with personal safety, not necessarily a legal issue.

Welcome to the suck.

You’d have to be pretty reckless (or stupid) to get in an unmarked car that claims to be a private taxi. I think the authorities would find such a claim dubious, unless proven by the driver.

Or, a guy gets busted for DUI riding a scooter and receives a ban. He is still allowed to drive a car.

Maybe get the existing laws sorted before introducing new ones.

Since the people who ride with a drunk driver are at not only risk themselves, but might become accessory to murder if anyone is killed by the driver, and in a sort of way consent to the illegal action of drunk driving by coming along, wouldn´t it be logical taht they can be fined and found legally responsible?

If you are drunk, you shouldn´t be driving. If you cannot drive, then ride a cab or wait for the bus. That simple. It is not “if I cannot ride with someone drunk, then I drive drunk myself”. If you have no money for cab or bus then how come you are drinking? Why ruin a night of partying with murder?

Cheers

I didn’t mean to imply this, I was sincerely curious. I had not heard of the blog before today.

The passengers could know. Cars licensed to commercial drivers (like Uber drivers) have plates that begin with the letter R. Someone could try to argue that they did not know their friend was both drunk and a private taxi driver – but it may be more convincing to argue that they did not know about the fine to begin with!

If they’re going to stick people with a full $600 fine, I hope they will allow them to pull it out of their wallet if they don’t have it in their front pocket.

Here’s the story from CNA (https://www.cna.com.tw/news/firstnews/201906070096.aspx)

I’m happy to see any legislation to prevent drunk driving. I’d be even happier to see consistent enforcement.

1 Like

How is a passenger supposed to know the taxi driver is drunk?

The passenger might smell alcohol after being in the cab a few minutes (assuming the passenger isn’t drunk), but is the passenger still liable for the charge for those first few minutes? And assuming the passenger is sober, what happens if the passenger never realizes the driver isn’t?

Is it now incumbent on the passenger - prior to boarding - to make the taxi driver work through a short program of walking skills?

Um, I’m not so sure you need to get hung up on the whole taxi driver situation. It’s not about that: it IS about getting into a private car with a driver who you know to be drunk. As a passenger, it is your responsibility to recognise and stop someone who is drunk from driving.

which is hard to do if you’re all three sheets to the wind, but there you go nonetheless.

1 Like

Maybe, but that’s where the most collateral damage is the most likely.

Difficult to legislate personal responsibility. I have a feeling this law is going to produce a significant amount of unintended consequences - IF it’s enforced.

it is not applied to taxi/bus/train/etc passengers.

2 Likes