:facebook: Starting July, Passengers with Drunk Drivers will also be fined

Here’s a slightly better source for the story.

http://focustaiwan.tw/search/201906250021.aspx?q=DUI

Also points out that there will be fines for drunk bicycling. Not thrilled about that one, even though I can’t say it’s not justified.

Maybe this is a moot point that is actually addressed in the written statute, but I’m curious if the fines for passengers would apply to passengers in Ubers. I’d assume the law took this into account, but not sure, as Taiwan has been slow in acknowledging it. Common sense would tell you the passengers would be exempt from the fine, but common sense doesn’t always apply to the law.

In Canada you get a ban an all motor vehicles but then they buy an electric bike. They even have a name for it. DUI Cycles. As they don’t need any license or insurance. You can drive drunk all day on those

1 Like

Pinoyrefresher scooped Taiwannews.

Not really. Very hard to kill someone by cycling while drunk compared to driving a car drunk. Just a bunch of politically correct killjoys. Tossers!

If I kill myself while cycling drunk, who cares?

1 Like

It’s these drunk surfers we need to be careful of .
I have this clip of @urodacus in Okinawa. I hope it’s ok to share ? If I have mistaken an identity you can delete this @urodacus :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9tWlGcfBt8

So if I got into a car with someone but I couldn’t tell he was intoxicated, is that a defense?

Uh, the guy who has to wash skin, tissue bits, and blood off his car?

5 Likes

Or the guy who was forced to try to avoid you and then crashed his car.

5 Likes

I agree with the second part. If you kill yourself on a bike, that’s your problem. Disagree with the first part. A bike rider can cause a deadly car accident. A bike rider runs a red light and causes a car to swerve into a pedestrian. Bike rider bikes into a stroller and kills a toddler. Unlikely, but well within the realm of possibility.

3 Likes

If I was driving a car and involved in an accident where a cyclist was killed, even if it was 100% the cyclist’s fault, that would be a really, really shitty thing to feel guilty about for the rest of my days. “Oh, I killed a guy, but it wasn’t my fault, so … OK?” You’ll always wonder: what if I’d braked a bit earlier, or been driving a bit more slowly, or been paying a bit more attention.

6 Likes

Train conductors who hit people who have jumped on to the tracks usually deal with guilt, even though it’s 100% not their fault.

4 Likes

Very good points that I hadn’t considered. Agree completely. That would really suck to deal with.

1 Like

-Under 0.15 mg/L: No fine and you are free to go.

-Between 0.15 and 0.24 mg/L: Your driver’s license will be suspended for a year, your vehicle will be kept overnight (which you will have to pay for) and you will be fined anywhere from NT$15,000 to NT$90,000.

-Over 0.25 mg/L: You will be fined between NT$90,000 and NT$200,000; plus enjoy all of the other suspensions listed above. A person found to have a blood alcohol content of over 0.25 is also subject to criminal penalties and will face a judge who can sentence the individual to any period of detention under two years.

drunk cycling is now also illegal, although the first time fine is pretty small.

how are you going to tell who is drunk and who is not? taiwanese people cycle like they are drunk anyway. seems like a waste of time, could have put the time towards some of the driving laws that need sorting out.

I have no evidence of this, but I highly doubt that they will set up road stops for bikers on city streets or river side paths. I would assume that the police will mostly ignore cyclists unless an accident occurs. In the case of an accident involving a bike rider, they will give them a sobriety test and impose penalties accordingly.

If done in such a way, it’s a pretty good thing. Before, car driver were always held liable in accidents involving bicyclists, regardless of fault. This would be a good thing.

We’re discussing new penalties for passengers.

It’s useful to be reminded about the penalties for the driver, though.

Well, you should ban drunk walking as well in that case. Let’s just ban alcohol altogether!

1 Like

I think it’s funny that this Philippine web site for Philippines people in Taiwan had the story before any of the print or mass media.

Look, just because you decide to take the fine to an extreme place doesn’t mean that the point it is at now is extreme or inappropriate. Honestly, the bicycle aspect is pretty tame in comparison to a lot of countries. In California, riding a bicycle while intoxicated can go down as a DUI on your driving record. And to your point about fining walkers, that’s pretty much what America’s drunk in public laws do.

Same in Germany. You can loose your car driving license when caught drunk on a bicycle.