Steak burger on the news

Just saw a really nice looking steak-burger on the news. NT$1500 and looked to be of the extra large variety. Chef was a foreigner. Any idea where to get it?

Go to Matsusei, buy said steak, cook both sides, put it in a bun…voila, steak burger!

heh, funny. I am quite capable of cooking my own… but that’s not the point. The burger looked real good and I’m not theonly one in my family who wants to go try it.

I know the guy.
This is how he describes it on his facebook: [quote] Parmesan Ciabatta Bun, USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin, Seared Foie Gras, Black Truffle, Herbed Truffle Mayonnaise, White Truffle Oil, Tempura Onion Ring, Lettuce, Tomato, Cajun Fries & Basil Ketchup…that is a burger.[/quote]

[quote=“Josefus”]I know the guy.
This is how he describes it on his facebook: [quote] Parmesan Ciabatta Bun, USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin, Seared Foie Gras, Black Truffle, Herbed Truffle Mayonnaise, White Truffle Oil, Tempura Onion Ring, Lettuce, Tomato, Cajun Fries & Basil Ketchup…that is a burger.[/quote][/quote]

Wow, that sounds amazing. Address? data?

He works at one of the big hotels down there.
Although that’s not much help, is it?
I’ll ask him.

It doesn’t sound like any burger I know, he should invent a new name, le steak burgette! What’s with the craze for steak all over Taiwan right now?!? Complaining about crazy American beef and now steak is the latest thing :roflmao:
I guess the American beef lobby aren’t involved in this somehow… :sunglasses: The USDA Prime means US Drug Added Prime steak…

Back home, The National Burger is made out of steak, not mince patty. Plus, our patties are mixed with corn flour -masa- and rarely have more than just a sprinkle of wheat flour.

So steak burger makes a lot of sense to me. The rest is just trimmings.

ps.
ciabatta? mmm, that doesn’t sound too good, actually.

I don’t THINK so! :unamused: What it is, is a bunch of expensive ingredients cobbled together to take the piss out of people with far more money than sense.

So the beef isn’t even ground? Sounds like quite a workout for the teeth and jaws there. And the fries go IN the burger? This is confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds good to me, but I can’t imagine paying NT$1,500 (basically US$50) for a burger.

Edit: the OP’s burger sounds good, not the post above mine.

Maybe I’m a bourgeois fascist, but that burger looks damn good!

You are all entitled to your opinion, the cost is relative to the ingredients, thats all.

Yea, but it’s not supposed to cost fifty bucks, just as a pizza’s not supposed to cost $1,000.

squidoo.com/1000pizza

Sure, it may taste good, but it’s a novelty item for people with more money than sense. I’m sure I could grill some NT$20 burgers on my rooftop that would give me more satisfaction than that NT$1,500 thing. But that’s just me (and sandman). If others want to throw away their money on vastly overpriced burgers that’s their business.

No, sir. It is generally understood as ground meat (usually beef) on a bun. There’s a reason steak is eaten with a knife and fork, and not just picked up and chewed. Now, there’s nothing wrong with changing that about and being creative. Heck, if you’ve got a steak that is so melt-in-the-mouth tender that it works well when sandwiched between burger buns, great! But that’s usually called a steak sandwich, not ‘burger’, and it generally uses very thin slices of tenderized beef. It should also be given a reasonable price point. This $1500 price tag is just silly.

Anyway, there’s no need for you to get all snippy and personal with comments like “You sound Taiwanese being confused by the simplest of ideas” and “Why don’t you take your head out of the sand”? That won’t get you anywhere. Should we infer that you are the creator of this steak burger in the news, and therefore getting all defensive about the comments and questions above? I’ll tell you what – show some class and civility, and perhaps people will be interested in discussing this with you further.

My comments were not intended to imply anything about your sense of taste or food knowledge. I just wanted to defend the fact that putting tenderloin, foie gras, and truffles in a “burger” is not that far fetched. People can knock it etc, and I have a right to stand behind it. The cost is totally relative to the ingredients inside. Housecat you are right, I could have made alot of things far more interesting than a burger, but that was not what I was trying to do from the beginning.

Not so sure, I despise haughty taughty snobbery as much as the next peasant, but foie gras is often paired with tenderloin at some of the nicer restaurants I’ve been to, and truffle slices and truffle oil is often combined somehow with foie gras. If you’ve ever bought truffles or truffle oil in Taiwan, the price is exorbitant even for a small amount. And Prime tenderloin is a much better quality than the “choice” crap that normally passes for steak (though I prefer a different cut with more fat for my steaks and burger meat).

Just sayin it might not be the “smashin together” you’re on about here

But yeah, just saying “Parmesan Ciabatta” is as gay as chai latte, my friend, and for 1500 I can get something like 4 or 5 KGB burgers or 4 gordon biersch burgers, so F that guy in the eye

And DB et al, just because it doesn’t say the beef isn’t ground doesn’t mean it isn’t, my guess is that it’s ground prime tenderloin, which would be expensive and interesting but I would think less tasty than a normal burger meat with a higher fatty content. Shit, I’d eat it if someone else was payin (not shit of course) (well that depends on how much someone’s payin me)

I have had KGB burgers and they are damn good, that is not the point of this “burger”. It never was.

[quote=“Josefus”]I know the guy.
This is how he describes it on his facebook: [quote] Parmesan Ciabatta Bun, USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin, Seared Foie Gras, Black Truffle, Herbed Truffle Mayonnaise, White Truffle Oil, Tempura Onion Ring, Lettuce, Tomato, Cajun Fries & Basil Ketchup…that is a burger.[/quote][/quote]

too much foofy crap on there IMO. the flavors will all be battling each other for supremacy.

LOL @ ‘basil ketchup’

I agree with you there, in theory, although the proof of the pudding is always in the eating.

Actually Parmesan ciabatta sounds good, not indicative of homosexual proclivities at all IMO. However, ciabatta is usually a little on the chewy side, whereas burger buns and sandwich bread in general are normally a bit softer, to make it easier on the jaw.