Steak

Where can I find the best char-broiled steak in Taipei? Wife’s birthday and she loves real steak. Or would I be better off firing up the barbie?

Alleycat,

I had a great steak at Ruth’s Chris steak house.

Restaurants: Ruth’s Chris
Address: 2F, 135 Minsheng E Rd, Sec 3 (台北市民生東路3段135號.) (Branches In Taichung and Kaoshiung)
Telephone: (02) 2545 8888
Open: 11:30am to 2:30pm. Dinner 5:30pm to 11pm

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003071190

It wasn’t cheap (and I wasn’t paying). If I had the means, I would go back regularly.

Or you can check out the supermarket at Breeze. I haven’t tried their steaks, but they look pretty good.

Or you can just go with the night market NT$ 120 special, with black pepper sauce and a fried egg on top.

I’d go for Ruth’s Chris, if it is a special occassion. Great steak, good sides, decent wine selection (I’m more of a beer lover myself), and good desserts. Atmosphere is dark and woody.

Trader’s Vic is pretty good… plus plus from me and my coworkers!!

is lawry’s here any good? (not that it was great in LA, but still not bad prime rib)

Maoman swears by it. Says its far and away the best you’ll find anywhere in this country.

I love it, and the service is great. But if you weren’t that impressed at the flagship restaurant you probably won’t like it here. If you do go to Lawry’s, try to make a reservation ahead of time for a table in one of the private rooms. Unlike the main dining room, these have a nice view, including Taipei 101.

Also the local steak restaurants like My Home Steak (Wo Jia Nuipai) aren’t too bad if you order the better cuts like the filet. If you get the cheaper ones, yeah, it’ll be a bit rubbery. If you want to DIY, you can get better cuts of meat at the supermarket in Sogo or Breeze Super on level B2 of Breeze Center than the cheaper markets.

Lawry’s leaves me totally unimpressed. The side vegetables are all mediocre shit and the presentation is tiresomely intrusive. You are expected to stop your conversation to watch the little waitress spin the salad bowl. Big fucking deal. The meat is okay, very rarely (haha) cooked to your request though and again is not that flavorful.

Sorry I got in late on this one…
The best steak, possibly EVER, can be found in Tao-yuan.
This guy has this HUGE indoor fire grill and cooks huge pieces of meat proper in front of you!
He’ll do an entire huge rack of lamb or side of beef. AWESOME!
We spent around 2,500 for 2 people. Tried all sorts of meats and fish. Drank lots of wine too. Not cheap but WELL WORTH IT.

I can give directions (not by street name) if anyone needs 'em.

Unfortunately I went to Lawry’s before i saw your post. the meat was not bad, medium rare. as you said not anything exceptional. the sides were utter crap, and for the prices they charged for sides, highway robbery. i could have thrown up something better from my innards. but i suppose if i was unimpressed by Lawry’s LA as a teenager, then i was setting myself up for Lawry’s Taiwan.

[quote=“stevieboy”]Sorry I got in late on this one…
The best steak, possibly EVER, can be found in Tao-yuan.
This guy has this HUGE indoor fire grill and cooks huge pieces of meat proper in front of you!
He’ll do an entire huge rack of lamb or side of beef. AWESOME!
We spent around 2,500 for 2 people. Tried all sorts of meats and fish. Drank lots of wine too. Not cheap but WELL WORTH IT.

I can give directions (not by street name) if anyone needs 'em.[/quote]

I’m in. Just scan their name card in or tell me how to get there from the Sun Yatsen freeway interchange.

The Lakeshore Hotel in downtown Hsinchu has the best steak I have had in Taiwan and by far the best salad bar. Its the only restaurant I have seen here with 5 varieties of fresh lettuce.

Back to that STEAK place in Taoyuan.

Was there again last night. Had Sirloin*2, Cod *2, a lamb chops *2, and a bottle of white wine.

Bill came to NT4,600

Although I really enjoyed my food I will not be going back. NT4,600 is ridiculous!

Mister He, you were there too, a nickle for your thoughts…

I was there with 3 customers, although the steak was the best I ever had, the bill was somewhat high, and the boss told me that NT$1200 should be the upper limit per person per meal in the future.

The bill came in at a bit above NT$7000. :shock: :shock:

He is a great cook, but he gouges the bill like a madman, which puts me off. :imp:

If I one day don’t need to worry about money, I might go there again. However, that will be the day when I have 1-2 US$m in the bank.

The best steak I’ve ever had in my life was at Ruth Chris’ in Taichung. Shit, man the steak was like $3,000NT per person, top notch shit.
That was a whole meal not just the steak… but its fucking expensive-- well worth it tho.

they even warmed it up for me in the middle of the meal afraid that it was getting cold.

Although I haven’t tried Ruth’s Chris, I must say that you can get a damn fine steak at Onion. You get a whole set including soup, salad, bread, drink and dessert for about NT$700. The steak itself is large, juicy and delicious. Anyone have any other places in mind?

Salsa Bistro has a good steak. Decent wine too.

Can you find a T-Bone or Sirloin steak in Taipei ?

I actually think Onion is alot better with their seafood dishes than their meat dishes…

…But Onion is a great place to eat!

The best steak in Taipei? A place called Alice Steak House. Order a 12oz steak called a Kobe steak - THE best steak I have ever had…ever!

You also get bread, great soup, salad, dips, sauces, dessert, refillable (superb) coffee, and a bib. But it is expensive…

It is still a great great place - and it really is the best steak (12oz Kobe Steak) I have ever had.

Details are:

Chang’an East Rd, Section 1, #27, B1
Tel: 2551-6020 or 2561-5730

enjoy the meat…

I had a quite a decent ribeye this evening at the Neo19 Chili’s. It was a helluva lot better than the “prime rib” I had at Dan Ryan’s a couple of weeks ago.

Address for Onion is appreciated :slight_smile:

TIA,

yellow cartman;

I’m not sure of the addresses of the Onion chain in Taipei,(there are 3 or 4) , including in Tienmu. I do know that the name is the same in Mandarin, so if you ask a Taiwanese friend, they can point you in the right direction.

happy trails