Step up folks and wager on my Visa status! Place your bets!

What will Derek1978 obtain for his Visa status?

• Visitor Visa (Single Entry)
  • Visitor Visa (Multiple Entry)
  • Resident Visa
  • Denied! @#%&!

0 voters

If any of you like a little something to wager on I offer up my visa status. So, here is the game

I know you have a Taiwan connection, but for those who don’t, why on earth would anyone go through this rigmarole?

How To Get A Six-month Multiple Entry Visa for China: Go to Hong Kong, ring travel agent, travel agent picks up passport and photos from hotel. Go out on the piss, have a curry. Travel agent delivers passport and visa next day; go to, leave, and re-enter China as you please. After six months get a one-year multiple entry. Repeat as necessary.

Back In The Day it used to be real easy to get a Taiwan visa and real hard to get a China one. Christ, now I can even get my China visa whilst physically present in Taiwan! How times change…!

ok, if you vote “Denied” you have to explain why!
:raspberry:

I have a question…

If I get a single entry visa:

If I arrive and DONT show my visa…rather just use my passport as a tourist and hang out in Tawian for a week. Hop on a plane and go to Thailand for a week, then return and show my Single Entry Visa I got from Seattle, would it work?

Any foreseeable problems doing this?

I really would like to hang out in Thailand before school starts and i don’t want a single entry visa to screw it up. :fume:

[quote=“derek1978”]I have a question…

If I get a single entry visa:

If I arrive and DONT show my visa…rather just use my passport as a tourist and hang out in Tawian for a week. Hop on a plane and go to Thailand for a week, then return and show my Single Entry Visa I got from Seattle, would it work?

Any foreseeable problems doing this?

I really would like to hang out in Thailand before school starts and I don’t want a single entry visa to screw it up. :fume:[/quote]

How could it work? The visa is in your passport. They will look for it when you give them your passport.

I thought you couldn’t get a student visa through TLI anymore, only through universities.

But, for sure you should be able to get a 60 day, non-extendable tourist visa. That would be my guess, as long as you also submitted copies of flight tickets out of Taiwan. I think you need proof that you are leaving when your visa runs out.

I just noticed that your flight itinerary states that you will be in Taiwan for about 5 months. I think this may potentially pose a problem for you.

Also, don’t you need to show copies of actual tickets? I thought this was the rule now.

[quote=“Indiana”]I just noticed that your flight itinerary states that you will be in Taiwan for about 5 months. I think this may potentially pose a problem for you.

Also, don’t you need to show copies of actual tickets? I thought this was the rule now.[/quote]

Nope. My tickets are “E-tickets”. Wont have an actual physical ticket until I get to the airport. Even then it will just be a boarding pass.

The TECO office only requested an approved and confirmed itinerary of my flight. Piece of cake.

I was hoping that having my flight leave later in the year would prompt the visa office to think…oh he will need a visa that will last longer than 2 months… :slight_smile:

And, sooooooooooo many people said advised getting a return ticket as far out as possible so that you wont waste your money if you dont plan to leave back to your home country right away. I dont forsee any problems.

They never asked for me to mail them my physical passport. They said they will mail me my visa when it is approved…it is up to me to show it with my passport at the boarding gate/ticket counter/customs officer.

If i just show my passport then I can get in Visa exempt for 30 days. Return from Thailand and show my Visa and get in with a Visa! :smiley:

[quote=“Indiana”]I thought you couldn’t get a student visa through TLI anymore, only through universities.

But, for sure you should be able to get a 60 day, non-extendable tourist visa. That would be my guess, as long as you also submitted copies of flight tickets out of Taiwan. I think you need proof that you are leaving when your visa runs out.[/quote]

True and not true…50% correct. TLI cannot qualify to extend or issue visas solo. They are now Using Kainan University (college) as a partner.

ALL my TLI paperwork and enrollment papers say “Kainan University Mandarin Language Studies”…TLI is NOWHERE to be found on the papers. So as far as the customs are concerned…I am attending Kainan University…which technicaly I will be because TLI is a part of them now. TLI is their “language department” if you will.

Well tat’s shure godd to know! :bravo: :wink:

[quote=“derek1978”]
:raspberry:[/quote]

Applying for a resident visa and a visitor visa at the same time might be mutually contradictory. “I intend to stay for less than six months. I intend to stay for more than six months.”

Mind you, I am not suggesting there is anything logical, predictable, or transparent about the Taiwanese visa process.

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“derek1978”]
:raspberry:[/quote]

Applying for a resident visa and a visitor visa at the same time might be mutually contradictory. “I intend to stay for less than six months. I intend to stay for more than six months.”

Mind you, I am not suggesting there is anything logical, predictable, or transparent about the Taiwanese visa process.[/quote]

I did it because their own web site says…well here gosh darn it, read it for yourself:

http://www.tecoseattle.org/en/consular/visa.htm

Visa Type: Visitor Visa
Eligible Applicants: Citizens of Countries having diplomatic or friendly relations with the R.O.C.
Duration of Stay: [color=red]For a period of 60 days with an extension possible[/color].
Processing fee: $100.00 for United States passport holder for single or multiple entry. All other passports $36.00(single entry) or $72.00(multiple entry).
Requirements:
[ul]A passport valid for at least six months.
Completed application form (front and back).
Two recent passport-sized photos.
Confirmation of travel or itinerary from a travel agency.
Business travelers must provide a letter from their employer explaining the acknowledgement and purpose of the visit, financial responsibility.
Students must include the confirmation of enrollment letter from the college, university or other institution.
Return postage: All applicants must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope or an overnight courier service label already filled out with proper postage or billing information included. [/ul]

Visa Type: Resident Visa
Eligible Applicants: For the purpose of study, employment or residence.
Duration of Stay:[color=red] Longer than two months[/color]. (authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The ROC.
Processing fee: $100.00 for United States passport holder. All other passports $66.00
Requirements:
[ul]A passport valid for at least six months.
A completed visa application form. (front and back)
Two recent passport-sized photos.
Name and address of sponsor who lives in Taiwan, ROC.
Letter of invitation, employment agreement, work permit approval, enrollment confirmation from an establishment in Taiwan.
Return Postage: All applicants must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope or an overnight courier service label already filled out with proper postage or billing information included. [/ul]

I intend to stay 60 days and longer thus extend: Visitor Qualified!

I intend to stay longer than 2 months to study: Resident Qualified!

So I did both and hope for the best!

Well tat’s shure godd to know! :bravo: :wink:[/quote]

ok seriously, i am having typo issues…sorry
I meant to say / type:

Language Department

:blush: :smiley:

I would like to add also that ALL the people I have talked to at the Seattle TECO office do not speak English well. I was very shocked. Their English is very very poor! :noway:

Two times two TECO reps passed the phone to another rep when they couldnt speak English! They are in Seattle for petes sake! WTF!!! :fume:

And when I started to ask specific questions about the visa process they became silent and just said repeatedly “go to our website and read” “all you need is web site”. :bs:

So, I went to the website and it is USELESS!!! It friggen contradicts itself and what I was told over the phone.

I sense this is a foreshadowing of more fun times to come :noway:

Makes ya think when you’re dealing with the processes over here and dipshit (me) foreigners demand (I don’t) they speak English as well…

[quote=“derek1978”]I would like to add also that ALL the people I have talked to at the Seattle TECO office do not speak English well. I was very shocked. Their English is very very poor! :noway:

Two times two TECO reps passed the phone to another rep when they couldnt speak English! They are in Seattle for petes sake! WTF!!! :fume:

And when I started to ask specific questions about the visa process they became silent and just said repeatedly “go to our website and read” “all you need is web site”. :bs:

So, I went to the website and it is USELESS!!! It friggen contradicts itself and what I was told over the phone.

I sense this is a foreshadowing of more fun times to come :noway:[/quote] :bravo: :roflmao: :banana: :joker: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wall: :snivel:

I voted for DENIED!
Not that I’m hoping for it. It’s just that I don’t think they are going to give you anything without you sending in your passport. I can’t believe they would just mail you a visa and let you paste it into your passport when you get it. But… this is Taiwan, who knows what the hell they are thinking.
Best of luck

Makes ya think when you’re dealing with the processes over here and dipshit (me) foreigners demand (I don’t) they speak English as well…[/quote]

Is it wrong for me to expect them to be able to speak english in the US in a Visa office whose sole purpose is to deal with english speaking people all day and every day they are in operation?

No, me thinks it is not unreasonable.

(I would expect US AIT persons to speak Taiwanese / Mandarin in Taiwan as well)

[quote=“JMcNeill”]I voted for DENIED!
Not that I’m hoping for it. It’s just that I don’t think they are going to give you anything without you sending in your passport. I can’t believe they would just mail you a visa and let you paste it into your passport when you get it. But… this is Taiwan, who knows what the hell they are thinking.
Best of luck[/quote]

Well, thanks for your honest opinion.

I will give them a call tomorrow. If they require my physical passport, I will just overnight mail it to them or drive it up to Seattle.