Stereotypes that get your goat

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Hands Tailung in the Breeze centre. Fuxing South Rd. Can’t remember what floor.
It’s Old Spice High Endurance. Not an anti-persperant. Great stuff.[/quote]Lo Bo To -
Thats the stuff…thats it.
What city are you talking about?
Got prices?
Thanks

Hey, I think I’ll be in Toronto in May. We should meet up at a good pub and down a few pints.[/quote]
Sounds good, make sure you PM me when the time comes.

[quote=“TomHill”]Only the truly great talk about themselves in the third person. I believe Pele is an exponent of the style.

J99l88e77, as an aside, I find you to be weird.[/quote]
It’s been a while since laughed hard at a post like yours, Tom. :bravo:

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“TomHill”]Only the truly great talk about themselves in the third person. I believe Pele is an exponent of the style.

J99l88e77, as an aside, I find you to be weird.[/quote]
It’s been a while since laughed hard at a post like yours, Tom. :bravo:[/quote]

Thank you Truant. As Tom is an emotional retard, your kind words have been greatly appreciated.

You are a foreigner; therefore you MUST be an American. :noway:

This one cracks me up. Every time I jump in a cab or talk to the laoban I always get

Well, it goes even deeper. I am not complaining, just stating.

Even knowing I am German, they assume

-English is our language
-we eat Burgers as main food [as they assume Americans to do that]
-drink coke as almost-exclusive drink ["]
-have everything else like in US.

OK, I am complaining :smiley:

You are dark-skinned and walking out of a nice apartment building. You must be a housekeeper. :fume:

Has only happened to me, oh, 4 times now. Ah, to have turned around and said, “You have no sense of style and look like shit. You must be a bum.” :smiling_imp:

Hey, I think I’ll be in Toronto in May. We should meet up at a good pub and down a few pints.[/quote]
Sounds good, make sure you PM me when the time comes.[/quote]

Will do. It’ll be around May 6 - May 10. But, I’ll be in touch again around then. In the meantime, please look for a decent pub. :slight_smile:

Stereotypes show that people are ignorant, it’s not about being mean.

Most people who know anything about Estonia, know nothing but the stereotypes - some of them completely wrong (like being Slavic or speaking Russian), many of them exaggerated to the extreme (underdeveloped country, social problems, HIV, etc, etc). I can’t remember taking offence of such things - sometimes I explain how things really are over here, sometimes I just laugh and say that they’re wrong.

There are many completely ignorant people in the world. For example: what do I know about the politics of Camerun. :stuck_out_tongue:

isn’t Estonia one of the Eastern Bloc countries where there is no color allowed yet: it’s all Black and White still? :wink:

Oh that couldn’t be farther from the truth. I just make them give me a Sprite or an Ice tea, which really pisses them off because now instead of giving me that watered down Coke, they actually have to pick up a cup, press a button and do a little work–at work. Go figure.

isn’t Estonia one of the Eastern Bloc countries where there is no color allowed yet: it’s all Black and White still? :wink:[/quote]

See what I mean by friendly ignorance?

It’s Ukraine that has no colours, you dumbo! :unamused:

isn’t Estonia one of the Eastern Bloc countries where there is no color allowed yet: it’s all Black and White still? :wink:[/quote]

See what I mean by friendly ignorance?

It’s Ukraine that has no colours, you dumbo! :unamused:[/quote]
oh that’s right, you got yours a couple of years ago…

Yes, because according to the Taiwanese, all white people speak English, and no nonwhite people do.

[quote=“Notsu”]Stereotypes show that people are ignorant, it’s not about being mean.

Most people who know anything about Estonia, know nothing but the stereotypes - some of them completely wrong (like being Slavic or speaking Russian), many of them exaggerated to the extreme (underdeveloped country, social problems, HIV, etc, etc). I can’t remember taking offence of such things - sometimes I explain how things really are over here, sometimes I just laugh and say that they’re wrong.

There are many completely ignorant people in the world. For example: what do I know about the politics of Camerun. :p[/quote]
True, but I have found that a greater proportion of Taiwanese than foreigners insist on spouting off about things they know absolutely nothing about.
For example, I have had several long conversations with Taiwanese people about Israel that ended with the question: “Are Pakistan and Palestine the same place?” Back home, I believe that someone who knew so little about the area would not bother arguing about it.

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Notsu”]Stereotypes show that people are ignorant, it’s not about being mean.

There are many completely ignorant people in the world. For example: what do I know about the politics of Camerun. :p[/quote]
True, but I have found that a greater proportion of Taiwanese than foreigners insist on spouting off about things they know absolutely nothing about.
For example, I have had several long conversations with Taiwanese people about Israel that ended with the question: “Are Pakistan and Palestine the same place?” Back home, I believe that someone who knew so little about the area would not bother arguing about it.[/quote]

The dumber the person is, the more s/he likes to argue. (Don’t take it personally, Tigerman, you’re still my sweetheart :wink:) It’s easy to have strict opinions about things when you know almost nothing. The more information you have, the harder it is to form an opinion out of it. :slight_smile:

And one thing that I’ve noticed, is that while I talked to very many very simple and not too bright Taiwanese people, I don’t get to talk to such people at home. In Taiwan, I stick out, and all sorts of weird people come to talk to me. In Estonia, I’m just one in the crowd and I mainly talk to my aquintances or relatives.

[quote=“bababa”]Yes, because according to the Taiwanese, all white people speak English, and no nonwhite people do.[/quote]Yeah…just tryin’ to keep a brutha down…

I personally hate:

young= stupid
old=stupid

where is the logic in that?

I also used to get pissed off with the stereotypes about people from my home city in the UK. According to the stereotype, people believe my city is only home to drug dealing, car stealing miscreants on ASBO’s. I remember in the first few weeks of University a young lady ( on discovering I was from Manchester) put an order in for a certain car stereo as she was sure I could get it on the cheap :unamused:

[quote=“Funk500”]I personally hate:

young= stupid
old=stupid

where is the logic in that?

I also used to get pissed off with the stereotypes about people from my home city in the UK. According to the stereotype, people believe my city is only home to drug dealing, car stealing miscreants on ASBO’s. I remember in the first few weeks of University a young lady ( on discovering I was from Manchester) put an order in for a certain car stereo as she was sure I could get it on the cheap :unamused:[/quote]

:astonished: You’re from Manchester? And I’ve been posting about buying a “Big” bike on here…uhhh, I was just kidding about buying a big bike…I can’t afford it…I only have a half-broken 50cc scooter…and that’s chained to a rabid pitbull. :runaway: