Strange fruit

Although I’ve lived in Taiwan for more than 10 years, I still come across new kinds of fruit every now then. There is a certain yellow/orange fruit that has pips that are about twice as long as lychees, but look similar. Does anybody know what it might be?

Can’t see the pic. Are you perchance speaking about loquats?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat

It looks like an orange (color and size), but the flesh and pips (4 of them) is closer to that of a lychee.

I can’t see the pic either! That sounds like a loquat though. Is the skin thin and slightly suede-line, and comes off easily?

pee-pa ma?

These guys?

Nope. I have eaten loquats before. The ones I’m talking about are about the size of a baseball/bigger than tennis ball.

How do I upload pictures to forumosa. I haven’t been active in years.

Put it on Photobucket and upload from there. There are sometimes problems with Imageshack.

So what is this fruit? I’m intrigued!

Langsat/蘆菇 (lúgu)/duku?

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ppines.jpg
farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/144 … 1c87a8.jpg
4.bp.blogspot.com/-uIQRoThHgT0/T … /duku_.jpg

Ah, I overlooked that part.

Santol (山陀兒, shān tuó er)?

Wikipedia article

theindianvegan.blogspot.tw/2013/ … antol.html

web.igarden.com.tw/magazine/inde … subjetc=‘’

Pouteria caimito? 黃金果?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_caimito

[quote=“John Yu”]Pouteria caimito? 黃金果?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_caimito[/quote]

Caimito! Oh, it would be wonderful if Taiwan had those. But I’ve never seen it here.

I agree with AAF. The more you stay here, the weirder, eh, varied the fruit gets!

Someday we might even have this here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inga_feuilleei
vagabondjourney.com/ice-cream-bean-guama/
:smiling_imp:

[quote=“John Yu”]Pouteria caimito? 黃金果?
Thanks, John Yu, I think that’s the one. Has it been availible here for a long time?

Actually I just saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago. And I’ve been in Taiwan for 7 years.

And I was wrong about the size. I think it is about the size of a tennis ball or slightly smaller.

I see the Chinese word, 黃金果, is sometimes mistakenly used to the refer to the Cow’s Udder (Solanum mammosum), which I came across a few months ago.

[quote=“AAF”][quote=“John Yu”]Pouteria caimito? 黃金果?
Thanks, John Yu, I think that’s the one. Has it been availible here for a long time?[/quote]

I had this for the first time last summer, but I guess it’s quite novel in Taiwan because my gf was excited to find a ‘new’ fruit in the market. The skin has really sticky sap that is hard to clean off–wikipedia says it actually contains latex.