Stray dog problem

What people who do not “seem” to support everyone’s view that CNR is the ultimate solution for Taiwan’s stray dog problem are trying to say (I believe) is that a theoretically perfect solution isn’t always practically perfect. Nothing exists in a vacuum and as has been stated many times on this board “you just don’t understand Taiwanese culture” – or rather, it is Taiwanese culture, as non-congruent to Western thought as that may sometimes be, that is driving all this. And it is Taiwanese people (as a group, not as isolated individuals) who have the decision-making power over this issue on a national level.

A large-scale CNR effort (I am not talking about solving the problem of six or seven dogs at one place; I’m talking about getting at the root of the stray dog problem island-wide) requires a huge amount of resources. While Taiwan is hardly the quintessential third-world starving country, still its resources are limited, AND it is the Taiwanese who decide how those resources will be used. The vast mass of Taiwanese, not a few people who are concerned about humane handling of animals. I think that it is safe to say that traditionally, humane handling of animals is not high on the list of Chinese virtues, and this thought persists in many places in Taiwan. You think it’s wrong; they think it’s normal. That’s culture.

It has been said repeatedly that the cause of so many strays is the fact that people dump dogs for one reason or another. Most of those “dumpers” are Taiwanese (just by numbers, obviously!). They are voters. They are the people who, whether you like it or not, have the say about how things are run on the island, and where the money goes (well, as much as any voter has any say in that kind of thing :unamused: ) and so on.

I can see the possibility of doing a donation drive for certain communities – affluent, well-off communities where households can spare the money to deal with the dog problem. There are many other places, though, where the residents simply don’t have that kind of financial capability. Suppose those communities are going to ask for money from the government for dog control? I rather think that if they do have any pull with the government at all (and that’s another question) they might be asking for other services first. The fact that they have other priorities doesn’t mean the stray dog problem is any less vexing to them; it simply means that there is a hierarchy of needs and they need to deal with the higher priorities first. Most communities would go with, say, subsidies for meals for shut-in senior citizens before dog control money. At NT$40 a pop, the NT$30,000 used to CNR seven dogs at Garden City would go a long ways toward lunchboxes with hot meals for feeding people. That’s going to be the way people think.

It’s only been in the past, oh, ten years or so (max) that special attention has been paid to the development of any place other than Taipei, Taichung and Kaohsiung (and Taipei has always been in first place). Anything outside the Big Three is probably hurting big-time in terms of of financial support from the government. Unless someone local with clout stands up and makes a lot of noise about the dog problem – and even then it would be a localized noise – nothing major is going to happen.

It’s possible that some of the animosity in this thread stems from the discussion of different solutions. Is it possible that some are saying CNR is the answer but are thinking of localized problems rather than island-wide, while those who say CNR alone will not do the trick are thinking of the big situation rather than local pockets of strays? You can impose a solution from the outside on a small pocket of a problem, but to resolve the issue islandwide will require a systemic change both in the government and, even more, in people’s thinking. And like it or not, that is not likely to happen in the near future. If you want to change people’s thinking, you need to get into the elementary schools, which means an entire generation as the space of time for the seeds to “take hold”. Always assuming, of course, that traditionally imposed respect for elders does not override what has been taught, when Grandpa dumps the latest litter by the side of the road.