Style vs substance - yes, it's political

You said it’s not political by nature, but it really is. The original book is an anti slavery novel. And it was a major influence in the election of Lincoln and the civil war. The book was banned in the confederate states. It is by it’s very nature, a political commentary.

The slur itself is about someone who is betraying their own race in the context of race based class. It is very political.

Ironically, Republicans were also called uncle Toms but it was a compliment back in the 1860s. The democrats were the slave owners.

2 Likes

i did not use those words but please keep twisting my posts to fit your agenda.

however, this post is very correct about the orgins and result of Uncle Tom. wish you had posted that early on.

What agenda? You are getting paranoid and the only one twisting words. Here is your exact quote, you said it’s not political by nature.

Opps. well I stand corrected then.

1 Like

and it might be time for you to move on.

So are we in agreement that is political or at least it can be political?

I was never not saying it couldn’t be political. I was refuting the idea that it’s solely political.

Can you find and quote where that was said or implied. Because I don’t think anyone said it was solely political. Maybe i’m wrong, but I didn’t see anyone say that nor did I say that.

1 Like

No thank you. I’m not a fan of racism.

I have an Uncle Thom. Yes, h, but you say it like Tom (except when we mess with him). He’s a cool guy, not a toady to the oppressor class or anything like that. Funny as hell

1 Like

No, you said:

Other than when you said “the use of Uncle Tom is not political in nature”, right?

But you don’t actually call him “Uncle Thom,” right? Or is he a really good sport?

I certainly do. What an I supposed to call him, Aunt Francine?

1 Like

Just Thom?

Now I’ve never not known Mr. Gain to be without manners.

1 Like

Disturbingly impeccable.

1 Like

I’m so old, I can call him Thom too. Sometimes I do

1 Like