Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

OMG! I ran over here as soon as I heard! That’s outrageous!
I can imagine how devastating it must be for you.
Please take comfort in the fact that I’m not there and don’t have to go through this. At one of us lives in a country where there’s still two triangles of cheese per 6-inch*.

*yet another in the line of meny reasons for you to come to Croatia (pun intended)

yea, don’t they know that stuff is our… that’s why it’s called white meat.

/sarcasm

Hunter Valley Grape Vine Ash Brie. Mmmmm.

Tasmanian Cheddar. King Island Roaring Forties Double Brie, or Blue Brie. Mmmm Mnnnn Mmmmm.

got a couple of pieces of yummy stuff in the fridge at home meself.

They have Subway in Croatia … :noway: where is the world going to end up next? The end of good Croatian food … happy holidays … enjoyable vacations on the turquoise waters of the Adriatic … darn, one destination less to go to …

You guys can’t seem to see the forest for the cheese.

So it’s a case of “we’ll give you a NT$69 half-arsed sammich, but if you want something OTHER than that, we’ll ass-rape you on the cheese. This customer beside you is having a cheap promotional sammich and guess what, suckah? YOU’RE paying for the difference, not us!”
What a PLAN! :laughing:[/quote]

Yes what a plan. Although Subway is American, this decision comes from Subway Taiwan. What else. They still miss the concept of quality and service.

Ta Da- the Taiwanese have ‘think tanked’ themselves again.
I can just see the Marketing meeting now…
Marketing rep- " Hey, to attract customer and increase business, why don’t we skimp on the cheese?"
“Thats a great idea, you are so li hai!”
“Yes, I know”

6 months later…
" Why are we losing business and closing stores??"
" I think the evil foreigners are plotting against our superior intellect and wit- it was such a great idea"…
When oh when oh when…???

hey, I got a copy write on the “think tanked”!

By god, that is good cheese! My friend brought me over a whole one a few weeks ago. Lasted two days, max.

Is that the same as having copyright on 'Free Drinks"…LOL

Subway has always been about half-assed convenience, more than anything else.
On top of the franchise fees. & now, currently,: on top of vast worldwide food price fluctuations due to shortages & transport costs.
Welcome To The Brave New World!

Shite trickles down. Especially to patrons of an ill-run, overmanaged,  chain of mediocre slop. Most especially to any atavistic pining freaks looking for a sandwich in a sandwich-challenged society such as this...

Take the pain, and drive on!

I remember when subway first came to Taiwan: It was a foreign dude (American?) who opened the first stop in Zhongshan N.Road (Tienmu) and in the beginning he also did most of the sandwiches himself. They were delicious. The chain-store idea came a little later, but not much.
Before Subway, Uptown Café had the best sandwiches in Taipei, but they are long gone somehow. Uptown sandwiches were not really cheap but they had also a lot of fresh, good quality stuff inside. That was at least 15 years ago and local prices as well as rent, salaries etc. were lower then, but you still had to import cheese, pickles, olives… and that was more difficult and more expensive then.
I am willing to pay a 100NT$ or 150 NT$ for a good sandwich, but then I do expect something decent. The 69NT$-deal can only be shadow version of the real thing.
What I’m trying to say is: you pay what you get.
I think we talked about this before, but anyway: Look at the “Italian” noodle shops. You can get a plastic-bag carbonara for 79NT$ there, or you get a real one for 379NT$. Depends on your taste, expectations and wallet. The 379NT$-deal is no ripp-off in my opinion, if it matches my expectations. Once a year - come on - why not?

Norbert

Interesting. So, it’s not really the drought in Australia that’s causing the cheese rationing, but the NT$ 69 promotion.

In that case, why not offer the cheap NT$ 69 sandwiches with NO cheese, and leave everyone else’s sandwiches alone. Then everyone would be happpy.

Of all the foreign fast food chains that came and went in Taiwan, I miss Wendy’s the most.

True, but it would have to be clearly stated, else some people will argue that they expected cheese on their sandwich.

How does the current NT69 promotion actually work - is it a different sandwich that is discounted depending on the day of the week, or just one particular type of sandwich, or … ?

It’s a different sandwich every day. They had almost the same thing last month but it was 79NT.

True, but it would have to be clearly stated, else some people will argue that they expected cheese on their sandwich.[/quote]

Simple enough: $69 sandwich special (fake cheese costs extra)

Yup. No question about it.

I miss going into Wendy’s and ording a double and having everyone stop in their tracks because they don’t know what to do because nobody ever orders one. They call the manager, they consult the manual. It makes you feel special. I miss that.

I’m sorry to hear so many people upset by the temporary change in cheese amount at Subway restaurants in Taiwan. Our cheese cost has indeed increased dramatically, and this is the only reason for the reduction. Our costs have been steadily increasing over the last couple of years but we have kept our prices the same, with the exception of Tuna and Apple Juice which were recently raised in price due to a sharp increase in cost.

Many customers complained about the price increase of the Tuna. Consumer demand has been very weak in Taiwan recently, and most of our customers have said that they would prefer a reduction in cheese than an increase in price. In addition, our suppliers have indicated that this price increase is expected to be temporary. As a result the decision was made to keep our standard prices the same, and reduce the amount of cheese temporarily.

Some of our customers have said that they would prefer a price increase to a reduction in cheese. This option is still available to those who prefer this. Our “Extra Cheese” option is still available at an additional two triangles for $20 and four triangles for $40. Those who are willing to pay more for cheese are welcome to use this option.

The reduction in cheese is not related to the $69 promotion. The initial communication was unfortunately confusing on this point. The fact is that restaurants who are not participating in market-wide promotions are not able to get waivers for formula changes like this. It is their non-compliance in market-wide promotions that is the issue, not that we are running a promotion that is the issue. A revised letter was sent to restaurants that was clearer about this issue, but some restaurants may still be using the original notice.

There were a couple of comments from those experienced in the restaurant business that food cost is not the biggest cost in our business. This is typical in western markets like US, Canada and parts of Europe were the cost of labor and rent is very high, standard prices are higher, and where they have the high volume to keep food costs low. In those markets rent and labor are usually the top two costs and food is usually third.

In Taiwan the situation is different. Labor costs and rent are relatively lower, our standard menu prices are lower (our 6" prices run US$2.45-3.60 while US prices are US$3.50-5.00; Europe even higher), and our market is not big enough to get the best volume discounts on food products. Here, our food cost is the biggest expense, with labor usually 2nd and rent 3rd. (Due to widely varying rent costs and sales volumes the 2nd and 3rd place may vary.) So as a result, food cost increases impact us more heavily than they would other markets with lower food cost and higher regular prices.

Please note that my observations are based solely on being an individual franchisee and I do not speak on behalf of Subway in any official capacity.