Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

Fit rats - fresh Philly cheese subs … yum!

Subway? HA!
Go to one of the shops in the city that sells foreign foods and buy your favorite mayo, mustard, dill pickles and so on and then hit the one of the delicatessens and buy your favorite meats and cheeses. Onions, lettuce and such are available everywhere.
Better if you have a bread-maker, but the bakery breads are fine.
You will have the sandwich of your dreams, tailored to your sensitive palate AND you can make them 24-hours a day or night and they will cost MUCH less than Subway.
Why pay through the nose for a product that you can make better yourself?

I don’t have the time to make sandwiches. subway is decent if you need a break from gong bao ji ding, niu rou mian etc. I don’t know how the local subways compare to the US ones, as I’m not American, but I like the ones here.

I don’t know about you guys, but buying foreign foods at the delis and stores in Taiwan and making sandwiches myself has always proved costly, in terms of both money and time. I used to go to Tienmu for American and foriegn groceries, but the place that I went to, while it had a good selection, frequently had expired goods.

And the hassle of getting up to Tienmu and lugging stuff back! Nah, I’m too old for that.

I like Subway… if the Taichung store is dirty, that doesn’t mean other stores are necessarily dirty. Complaining helps, in this regard.

I don’t cook myself, too much hassle shopping, preparing and cleaning.
As well most portions you buy aren’t for a single person, so I think it’s not worth the effort and I always eat out.

Dropped into a Subway last night on the way home (somewhere along Najing East Rd), same mushy bread but I do like the toppings, too.

Can someone “highly recommend” any particular Subway in Taipei?

I’m becoming increasingly cheesed-off by the money-saving tactics or shitty service that seems to predominate. That said, my favourite Subway was at the end of YongKang St in TaAn (just beside DV8) - the people who ran that place were wonderful! Very friendly and easygoing… but the store recently closed down.

That meant the next nearest would have to be the one that just opened along XinSheng Sth Rd (near JiNan Rd). However, its a real battle to get any of those stamps that come with a purchase, or a paper bag to put my twelve-inchers into (I often buy two). Maybe I’m getting paranoid, but I’ve noticed a progressive trend towards bland taste - the buns are primarily filled with “fluff”, like lettuce and mayo…

Fair enough, I know I’m having a bit of a whinge, but I’ve been less than happy at the following Subways: stopped going to Guangfu Sth Rd after the time they forgot to put tuna into my tuna sub. I’ve had lots of trouble just trying to redeem my “cards” at the stores off YenJi St and along HePing East Rd (I think they’re run by the same person).

So the question is, which one is best?

Cheers,

The Big Babou

this was your first post on oriented, wasn’t it, t-man? :smiley:

Sorry but I’m with Wolf on this one.

Buy your own bread. Wecare has some pretty good bread nowadays and most local bakeries seem to have baquettes.

Round up the ingredients, keep them in your fridge, and make your own.

Presto!

[quote=“Alleycat”]Sorry but I’m with Wolf on this one.

Buy your own bread. Wecare has some pretty good bread nowadays and most local bakeries seem to have baquettes.

Presto![/quote]

Yesterday’s breakfast – a chewy ciabatta from WeCare stuffed with mashed avocado, lemon juice, jalapeno sauce, sliced tomato and loads of grilled bacon. Heaven!

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Alleycat”]Sorry but I’m with Wolf on this one.

Presto![/quote]

Yesterday’s breakfast – a chewy ciabatta from WeCare stuffed with mashed avocado, lemon juice, jalapeno sauce, sliced tomato and loads of grilled bacon. Heaven![/quote]

Sandie, that’s one of my favs. I love avo and bacon. Heaven indeed!

My wife loves the ciabatta.

Did I mention that the bread was still hot from the oven? And that it came with a nice frosty bottle of amber ale? Beer for breakfast – aint Sundays grand!

That’s what I should have done. My Sunday might just have been a little more productive.

[quote=“The Big Babou”]Can someone “highly recommend” any particular Subway in Taipei?

I’m becoming increasingly cheesed-off by the money-saving tactics or shitty service that seems to predominate. That said, my favourite Subway was at the end of Yongkang St in Taan (Da’an) (just beside DV8) - the people who ran that place were wonderful! Very friendly and easygoing… but the store recently closed down. [/quote]

Babou,

I’ve yet to find a Subway that comes even close to the one that was beside DV8. I talked to the manager there and he said it was difficult to make money with Subway – the profit margin just isn’t high enough, given the amount of time it takes the staff to put a sandwich together.

There used to be another sub shop near Da-an Park – near the south-east corner. It was pretty good…

There is a subway between Ximending and Taipei Main Station. Subway is okay… Have you guys have Quzzino before?? They are better than Subway!

Qizzno’s is great, in the States, not here.

The two Quizznos I know of are both closed; one was on Roosevelt near Taipower building and the other on Heping near Tunhua South across from Juke. Is there another Quizznos in town?

i had a friend who was here last summer who said quizznos in taiwan suck. she worked in a quizznos when she was in high school so i guess she knows a thing or 2. but she said in taiwan the bread was kinda sweet and the sandwiches just didn’t taste right. never felt the urge to go try it out for myself, though.

T-man…you friggin crack me up…

I hear that lawyer guy that helps his wife out is a helluva guy…if you are a nice person, he gives u a little extra cheese…not unlike some of your more illustrious posts…huh…T-man???

Peace

Flipper:

Can you asked your friend where is the other Quzzino is at in Taipei?? Thanks!

• MiakaW

well, there’s always au bon pain. i’ve been going there quite a bit and while it’s a bit pricier, it’s a better place for hanging out and reading the paper…