Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

i’m pretty sure the quizznos she checked out was one of the ones that have been mentioned as having closed. :frowning:

HakkaSonic, where are the Au Bon Pain branches?
Thanks!

There’s one at the back of New York New York (Warner Village) and one at either the corner of Minsheng and Dunhua or Minsheng and Fuxing (I’ll get back to you on this tomorrow – it’s the corner where Standard Chartered, Ruth Chris, etc. all are). Was happy with the food and service at both places.

That’s Dun-hua, HakkaSonic.
Cheers.

[quote=“WarMonkey”]That’s Dun-hua, HakkaSonic.
Cheers.[/quote]

I forgot to add that they have delivery, but I think there’s a minimum charge.

[quote]T-man…you friggin crack me up…

I hear that lawyer guy that helps his wife out is a helluva guy…if you are a nice person, he gives u a little extra cheese…not unlike some of your more illustrious posts…huh…T-man???
[/quote]

So there’s one mystery solved. I was wondering which of the dudes with wives on here’s the subway guy. Unless you’re speaking in code, that is…

I’ve been eating a lot of Subway for lunch recently at a couple of different branches. They’ve put up notices saying something like “In order to bring or branches in line with Subway internationla policy, customers will be required to purchase a medium (30NT) drink to cash in the coupons on their discount cards”.

This is really annoying for two reasons:

1. I don’t usually get a drink. I use one 6-inch to get the other free. Even if I did order a drink I’d get the 25NT one, considering that it’s refillable.

2. The cards say quite clearly (in Chinese) somethign like “cards can be redeemed with a 30NT drink (or other prurchase of 30NT or more)”. So I had to have a little argument with one of the staff “I don’t care what it says on your notice on the wall, it says it right here on the card”. She let me off ‘this time’.

I wonder if it really is international policy, or just a cost-saving mention.

I wonder if anyone on Forumosa might be married to the owner of a Subway, who might know. :wink:

Brian

Yeah, this (new) policy really sucks! I quite enjoyed those Snapples and Gatorades that came with the subs. The cynical (that’d be me) would readily profess that this is a cost-cutting measure… In any case, I prefer to take my food out rather than eat inside, so this is just going to slow me down…

It would be a nice gesture if one of the outlets could @bend the rule@, and allow us to buy the bottled drinks…

Sigh,

The Big Babou

Yeah, this (new) policy really sucks! I quite enjoyed those Snapples and Gatorades that came with the subs. The cynical (that’d be me) would readily profess that this is a cost-cutting measure… In any case, I prefer to take my food out rather than eat inside, so this is just going to slow me down…

It would be a nice gesture if one of the outlets could @bend the rule@, and allow us to buy the bottled drinks…

Sigh,

The Big Babou

I went to buy lunch today at the Subway located in the Da An MRT building (in the entrance to California Fitness) and left, totally grossed out.

First, the display bread was chewed to pieces and covered in mouse droppings. When I pointed this out to the counter girl, she said, “Yeah we have mice.” Sweet

Then, the owner (maybe manager?) was there, counting money and using a calculator on top of the paper they roll your sandwich in.

Most of the vegetables were empty or nearly so, and there was mold growing on some of the cucumbers. The preparation area was streaked with traces of sandwiches worked on previously.

The girl behing the counter said they’d had a flood, which explained why the rest of the place looked like a tornado hit it. And, I suppose too, why the open garbage can was pushed up to the food area.

But, overall, a stomach churning sight!!!

Thats pretty horrific for a chain-store. You should have taken photos and reported it to Subway.

I’ve been to 2 or 3 different subways in Taiwan and all of them have been spotless and I’ve never had any problems with their food.

I was in a Subway in Chungho down the road from where I live. I was in there one day and there was a large retriever clambering up the side of the counter, the owner sat down to eat with the dog roaming around the seating area and although it was a well behaved dog, it simply shouldn’t have been there. Another time I saw a small dog on one of the tables. I reported the retriever incident to the elder of the women that work there, and she seemed grateful for the complaint, although I don’t know if they have adjusted. It’s not the first time I have seen dogs in just one subway store either. Isn’t there some sort of public health law about leaving pets outside of restaurants?

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Thats pretty horrific for a chain-store. You should have taken photos and reported it to Subway.
[/quote]

Didn’t have my camera. I spoke to the owner about it and he said, (direct translation) “I’ll help you change the bread.” Then I pointed out the food smears/mold and said, “This is unclean. It’s disgusting.” And he looked at me like I was way out of line.

Which, maybe I was. After all, I can make a decision with my feet. Is a “lecture” called for in this situation? Or, is it better to just say, “I won’t be returning,” and leave him to his own conclusions?

[quote=“Tyc00n”]
I’ve been to 2 or 3 different subways in Taiwan and all of them have been spotless and I’ve never had any problems with their food.[/quote]

That’s been my experience with most Subways as well. That’s why I was “shocked”. The one on Minchuen East Road near Sonjiang (jlick’s store, if I’m not mistaken), and the one on Dunhua near Heping are both examples of spotless Subways.

[quote=“sojourner”][quote=“Tyc00n”]Thats pretty horrific for a chain-store. You should have taken photos and reported it to Subway.
[/quote]

Didn’t have my camera. I spoke to the owner about it and he said, (direct translation) “I’ll help you change the bread.” Then I pointed out the food smears/mold and said, “This is unclean. It’s disgusting.” And he looked at me like I was way out of line.

Which, maybe I was. After all, I can make a decision with my feet. Is a “lecture” called for in this situation? Or, is it better to just say, “I won’t be returning,” and leave him to his own conclusions?
[/quote]

No, neither. I think a firm telling off, letting him know that he is in breach of contract and giving subway a bad name, and that you’ll be reporting the store.

[quote=“sojourner”]

[quote=“Tyc00n”]
I’ve been to 2 or 3 different subways in Taiwan and all of them have been spotless and I’ve never had any problems with their food.[/quote]

That’s been my experience with most Subways as well. That’s why I was “shocked”. The one on Minchuen East Road near Sonjiang (jlick’s store, if I’m not mistaken), and the one on Dunhua near Heping are both examples of spotless Subways.[/quote]

The MinChuan one is run by Jlick, a foreigner who frequents Forumosa.

Mouse droppings? … & I went to the 101 building & saw King Kong hanging of it!

Serves you right for going into a rip off place. Whats wrong with the cheapo cafe sarnie priced at 18NT ?
What do you mean, “grossed out”."
What quaint phrases you colonials use!

sojourner,

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience at the Da’an MRT location. I highly recommend you report your experiences to Subway HQ. They will pass the complaint on to the local office and the owner and require them to take appropriate action. The customer comment form is at this address:

subway.com/subwayroot/Applic … rvice.aspx

(It’s also under the ‘About Us’ tab on the home page on subway.com.)

The Minquan one is run by Jlick, a foreigner who frequents Forumosa.[/quote]

There’s two Subway restaurants on Minquan East Road. The one sojourner describes is my Xingtian Temple restaurant. There’s also one near Longjiang Road that’s owned by someone else, but it is a well run location.

Thanks Jlick,

I followed your recommendation and contacted Subway through the link provided.

I hope the manager at the original location (DaAn MRT) takes it as an opportunity to improve the hygeine of their restaurant.

Mice have to eat somewhere, you know! :raspberry:

Did anybody noticed Subway costing down recently their bakery? Or is food “Taiwanization”?

What was before a “Honey Oat” roll become now Charred Chestnut and other crap.
It looks burned and tastes poor. Other types also seem to lost some of their garnish.
Looks like someone got load of chestnuts to off load and got idiotic idea you can put those on bakery.

This was the Subway store in HsinChu Science Park (Life Sciences building)
Wonder if other Subways started it too.

Looks like franchise management problem on Subway side.
Gotta start doing my own sandwiches again.