Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

I think just the one at Zhishan. It’s the best Subway.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure about that. Quizno’s has come and gone at least once, I think twice. The Subways I frequent are usually quiet, although I’m usually not there at peak hours. I’ve seen other better sandwich chains come and go in various department store food courts - there was a chain called Le Bon Pain a while ago.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re usually quiet except at lunch time it seems

I’ve seen some sandwich places on Uber Eats but they’re less mainstream stuff, with over the top unhealthy crap, lots of spices etc I can’t eat

Tried to find a good banh mi place and even that is harder than in Texas… Weird

1 Like

There are at least more and more of them around. I think I had only one choice in Danshui seven or eight years ago. Now I’ve got plenty. (Unfortunately the one choice was also my favorite, and that one has shut down.)

Recommendations in central Taipei?

I found a chain but they put Sriracha sauce or some crap. Could maybe put in the notes to leave it off but that’s always dicey

Not central, no.

My favorite may be Fun’s Bistro in Beitou, but that’s well off most beaten paths.

阿芳越南食 FUN’S Vietnam Bistro
0909 906 855
https://maps.app.goo.gl/w6Vf8wWT48VRtnYs5?g_st=ic

Edit: I believe @afterspivak recommends the Gongguan place below, but I haven’t yet tried it.

阿鸞手工法國麵包
0986 161 756
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4FtBxB9wntpWcuSU9?g_st=ic

3 Likes

I went past two Subway last Sunday afternoon Neihu and they were both closed.

Lots of Subway seem to get have business related customers especially lunch time.

Depends on location of course that they do tend to seem to adjust their hours according to the local business instead of other fast food chains hours are kind of standard across the board.

1 Like

The food on the Google map pics of this place looks amazing. Is it as good as it looks?

1 Like

It’s probably my favourite of the Vietnamese restaurants I regularly go to in Taiwan. It has the lighter & fresher flavors that I associate with Vietnamese, but too often don’t really find with the restaurants here. I can’t speak to how authentic it is (mainly because when I was in Vietnam, the food varied so much I gave up on what authentic would even be).

Small place, friendly staff. If you’re reasonably close to Beitou and are looking for lunch or dinner, I highly recommend it, but I doubt it’s worth a trip across town.

2 Likes

Not sure about where you are but in the US there are so many better options - Quiznos, pot belly, snarfs. Last time I ate subway was in Asia because that’s all we got.

Yes, that’s what appealed to me from the pictures. Not close to me but maybe someday. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

where do you live? i can recommend a few bahnmi stores in Taipei.

the Gong Guan place is awesome, sadly i live very far from it now. its so good I would buy one whenever i passed by, even if i’m not hungry.

2 Likes

No one has posted John Oliver’s take on Subway here?

It’s pretty damning. The individuals running the branches might do their best to deliver good food, but the company does not seem to give a f*ck.

I dislike chain operations and try to avoid them whenever there is an alternative.

:-1:

1 Like

Thanks. I’m always weary of food stalls like this tho. They usually seem to let meat sit out at ambient temp

The one in Beitou says contains chili sauce. But I’d have to go in person so I could ask for it without. I’m not sure what a banh mi is “supposed” to have but the various ones I would have in Texas just had some peppers you could easily remove

When I was in TX recently I ate the hell out of Snarf’s. Best sandwiches you can get. The Mother Clucker :drooling_face:

Near Zhongshan station

Bich Loan (the joint in Gongguan you are referencing) has a proper store behind the stall where they are baking the bread and so on. It does roaring trade, all take out.

I hate food poisoning as much as the next person—and from this place, no problems to date. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

i dont know anything specific near zhongshan, if you go to zhishan occasionally, this place is awesome.

越富越南法國麵包
0982 090 788

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll check it out then

Looks like it has potential :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep. Still no vinegar in the two subways I’ve been to in last week.
What gives?