Suggestions for VPN?

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!

Best VPN iā€™ve used. Below is it connected to California, from a 100/40 connection in KSH > US West Cali/LA.

About 10 us a month now, was a bit cheaper but prices went up for new accounts. Gives you 5 active connections on any device, currently have it on PC, in chrome as it has an extension for it, and on s8+. Never had a drop, super reliable. And as you can see, pretty dam decent speeds considering distance.

Been using the same since 2015 :slight_smile: very good indeed and cheaper than most.

Waitā€¦ 10 USD per month? Just last month I subscribed again for 2 years and it cost me around 75 USD if I remember correctly.

PIA is great and Iā€™ve been using it for close to 2 years now, super fast speeds. However, Iā€™m probably going to switch after this year is up just because of:

a) Doesnā€™t support Netflix/other US-only streaming services
b) Doesnā€™t go past the the Great Firewall.

Same! I use it not to get past something, but for protection. It also used to work for Canadian Netflix so Iā€™d occasionally check in and see what they have that we donā€™t in America.

Also (& cc @Liub ) do you guys have trouble with PIA sometimes oftentimes where you have to disconnect - turn off port forwarding - connect - disconnect - turn on port forwarding - connect again ā€“ take like 6 extra steps for it to work? Or maybe thereā€™s an easier way to unclog the thing, plmk!

Hmm no, I just use the software/app thats for Windows/iOS when I need to. I predominately donā€™t have it on when I go about my business so I canā€™t say I use it consistently enough to experience that.

Donā€™t waste money with VPN services. Just torrent the TV and movies you want. They are readily available within hours of the first broadcast.

Been using ExpressVPN for a month now. Very happy.
I can get access to US Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video with no problems.
I only wish it would work as a PS4 VPNā€¦still trying to figure that one out. For now, I use my laptop and connect my TV as the display.

You cant directly use a VPN like that with a PS4. But, it is possible.

What you do is;

While wifi is on and connected on your laptop, enable ICS (internet connection sharing)
Enable VPN
Then, plug your PS4 directly into the laptop using an ethernet cable
This will make your PS4 use your laptops internet

Iā€™ve done it before, just to see if I could, was bored. PS4 Pro from Australia that i bought while i was there and it was on sale in JB HiFi. Over a year, I think iā€™ve played it a total of 15 hours maybe. Because PC MASTER RACE.

1 Like

Yep my PIA subscription just lapsed, signed with Express, did a few speed tests, tried Netflix + Hulu. Life is good.

Just gotta test gotta pass the China Firewall test the next time Iā€™m across the pond.

I can recommend windscribe.com

You can use it for free with limited locations and traffic limit.
You should request a free pro trial (24h) from the chat bot on their site to test speeds in various locations. Pro and free use different servers.

They support Netflix US/UK/CA/JP

Recently they added optional ad domain blocking and port forwarding.

No matter which vpn service you use make sure to check these parameter before your selection

Here is one:
PureVPN

ā€˜Pay only $11.88 while subscribing to the 1-year plan!
The recurring will be charged at $69.95 next year.ā€™

Express VPN and NordVPN seem to be best, but not based on price.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSFi_kEGsUCDNvcWQK08KRNuGPU24IBfmxh_4LZcWEYOqp9y3IRUNdx5qpvoBHFCVkPdjm9dcSQ556d/pubhtml?

1 Like

Ive heard PIA is good and trustworthy.

Their Taiwan location is problematic. They donā€™t actually have a physical server in Taiwan, it is located in Hong Kong.

ExpressVPNā€™s ā€œTaiwanā€ location, for example: a protester/activist from Hong Kong might want to connect to ā€œTaiwanā€ to go the extra mile and choose a VPN endpoint outside the jurisdiction of Hong Kong / China. They continue to pursue their activism whilst believing they have an extra layer of protection against, for example, wiretapping only to find they have been misled into connecting to a VPN server located physically in Hong Kong.

expressvpnhongkong

ExpressVPN advertises to have servers in 94 countries, but it actually has only physical servers in half of that 47.

Other VPNā€™s do the same e.g. Surfshark (100 57), ProtonVPN (67 50), CyberGhost VPN (91 59), Hide .Me (confirmed to have virtual servers, but are not disclosing that information)

Donā€™t believe your connection goes to a server in a country of your choice via VPN. Often it goes to different country to save cost.

One can test that by using something like https://mtr.tools to determine the real location using ping times to that IP from other servers in that region. Same region must have ping of less than 10ms, best if under 1ms.

Pings of under 1ms would imply that the servers are in the same building.
Even under 10ms would be a challenge.
I tested against my HK VPS with the HK Endpoint on mtr.tools and and got a 30ms ping.
Iā€™m curious how you found out that ExpressVPNā€™s Taiwan server is in HK? I had a quick look but couldnā€™t find that information?

They say it on their website. Obviously buried in some ā€œknowledge hubā€.

Yep, buried indeed.
Maybe I should look at setting up a VPN server actually in Taiwan for anyone living in HK that needs VPN access :rofl: