Suggestions for VPN?

VPN providers have difficulties finding good server hosters that can cater to their needs in Taiwan. Some cancel servers when they get police requests for user data which is not logged anyway.

VPN I use has only a 1 gbps server in Taiwan and it used by many users from HK and China (10-70% usage). So I always connect to Japan server with 10 gbps server (1-5% usage).

It’s easy enough to set up your own private VPN based in wherever you need, then you have 100% of the capacity that you pay and you’re not sharing the VPN with anyone else…Maybe that’s something I can look into…

yeah, do this ^
don’t route all your traffic through some sketchy vpn company. i don’t care who the company is, it’s better to self-host on AWS or DigitalOcean

Isn’t a downside for setting up your own vpn that you can’t do geo relocation?

Yes and datacenter IP’s are also blocked from streaming services e.g. Netflix.
These providers also might intervene on torrent traffic.

For me, I only need US. So I use it for various websites that block Taiwanese IPs, like some US banks/etc.

Any suggestions on a reliable VPN to purchase before one
travels to China?
Also, do SIM cards bought in HK work in China?
Thanks

I used Shadowrocket. Takes some setup, but way better than ExpressVPN, IMO.

Only if they say that they will also work in China. If only for HK, then no.

But if you buy HK esim/sim (like HK Unicom) that can also work in China, you won’t need a VPN.

I think SIM card from Taiwan works in China too, in fact the 3 major phone companies in Taiwan offers China roaming packages. Might be something to consider.

Thanks Fellas. Much appreciated