Suit fitting tips please (now with after pics)

Ah, the suit, the modern-day fetters for the corporate coolie. Well, I ain’t no company convict, no high-flying city climber, no narrow shouldered pen-pushing weed who needs to pad himself up. I was born a free man and I have never owned a suit - aint gots no time for them.
Oh yes, the ugly rumours - I’ve heard them too - that I’ve never actually had enough coin to buy a suit. Well, rumours be rogered.

Damn! You ARE coming up in the world! You even have a wallah to bring you your daily roger? Fetching gel she is, too. She could hold down the hindquarters on the feistiest merino, I’m quite sure! I’m envious.

But anyway, you shouldn’t listen to me – I’m like almas. Won’t wear a suit or tie to work. If they insist, I won’t work there.
I buy my suits strictly for stage, so the same rules don’t apply. Except for the kibbosh on pink bloody linings!

This is the suit I’m having copied.

I ordered one plain white and one charcoal grey shirt to go with it. I bought two ties that I reckon will work well with the overall ‘piece’.

Haven’t thought about a tie pin/clip, or business card holder, but I know some stores that would have them.

Ta for all the advice fellas, have noted and will bring up with the tailor.

Next suit’s gonna be pin striped…

The guy in that photo looks like he’s wearing an adult diaper under those kecks. :laughing:

Seems to be missing a head too… :ponder:

And he could do with a bit of sun.

I’m not sure about the white gloves. Looks like a gay snooker ref.

I think we have to see the after photos.

Baas, what’s with the white suit? Cut like the Armani? Wedding bells or you moving to Panama?

Following on from the anti-suit comments above, a tie is a perfect example of how we are tied - no pun there - to malodorous brain farts that should have been completely discarded an eternity ago.

HG

Crown bowls referee in his spare time?

After photos in a week from today, before I head off for IELTS examiner training next Thursday (the reason I’m getting the suit).

Need to NOT put on weight this week coming, but since I’ve stopped drinking I’m gulping down bubble teas and coffee, and the tyre is showing signs of returning. Will have to buy a pacifier…

Oh, and try to avoid those American football style shoulder pads the Taiwanese like.

Ditch the charcoal shirt. Some white and blue ones.

1 Like

Me likes blue too, and was going to get one, but my local friend said it was, literally, the bus drivers’ favourite colour. Suits me though, so I think I’ll get one made up if I’m happy with the tailor’s work.

Allow me some pennies too…

For the fitting, EA is spot on :notworthy: Always check for a loose hanging pleat around the shoulder blades,if it exists that needs to be tucked in. It usually shows up when you move your arms. A suit’s back has to clean. Black is good especially if you don’t have a lot of suits. I think guys look dapper in Brown, but yes a navy or a pin striped suit is a better investment. It is very easy to go wrong with the shirts if you have brown suits. I like blue shirts but light blues not the kind the Estate agents wear over here. It’s too jarring.

Getting a half lining in the trousers is always recommended and check for how the seat fits you. Usually the Taiwanese wear loose or should I say sagging trousers which may be okay for their physique but a fitted bum always looks and feels better. Not tight ofcourse just that they should not remind you of Alladdin. Think Daniel Craig!

As far as accessories are concerned, the National Palace Museum or Handicraft Promotion centre has good leather stuff, classy and won’t rip you off. Buy one of those lint rollers (sorry if its mentioned already)
to get id of fluff and dandruff that usually dulls the suit.

If you buy a stack of white shirts made out of a good material with french cuffs, medium collar and and keep them nicely pressed, you’ll never go wrong. Take out the cuff-links, roll-up the sleeves and they’ll work with blue jeans too. Saves you packing a shirt for the flight home.

If this happens, they’ve put the shoulders in the wrong place.

1 Like

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]

Next suit’s gonna be pin striped…[/quote]

Pin striped, or chalk striped? I’ve had lots of pin striped suits and love them in dark grey with a navy stripe but the ballsy move is the chalk stripe - takes a certain confidence to carry it off.

Prolly chalk striped…

NOW you’re talking!

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]They should discretely notice, but in case they don’t, advise them whether you tuck your todger to the left or the right.
HG[/quote]
Referred to in the trade as …‘Dressing right’…or…‘Dressing left’…it does make a difference.

The best tip is to use a competent tailor. There is nothing else to it. A good tailor will make sure your clothes are fitting. I bought my last suit in Thailand and the tailor did a fantastic job. Tailors like that guy, you don’t need any tips. You just need to let him do his job. :wink:

My tailor is also in Bangkok - used him for almost 10 years. He rocks.